Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2019, 04:51 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: Cummins 5.9L inline-6H
Super Single Rear Tires

Seen someone had replaced the rear tires on their bus with some Super Singles. Claimed less rough of a ride, as well as a speed boost which is greatly needed. Thoughts? Concerns?

Hazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:16 PM   #2
Bus Nut

A speed boost would come from taller tires - which will depend on if there's room under your bus for them, and if you can find wheels that will hold them. Super singles won't automatically give you a speed boost.

I've heard the super singles are more expensive, you'd have to buy new rims for them, and you loose the safety factor of duals - you can limp a blown dual off the highway, but if you loose a super single, you're stuck where you are on the side of the highway.

From what I've heard, it's not something I'd be interesting in throwing money at yet. I'd rather spend more for a better bus initially, or spend more money on solar/battery setup. Just my 2 cents.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:04 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran/Wolfington
Chassis: 3800
Engine: International DT466E 190HP variant
Rated Cap: 72 pax 29500 GVWR
You’d also have to consider the weight factor when changing them on the side of the road. Super singles are SUPER heavy.
WARGEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:36 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
With duals I basically have two spare tires. If I get a rear flat I just slow down and look for a tire shop. If a front tire goes flat I can swap out one of the rears and get on down the road.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:02 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Super singles also give a slightly more narrow track width. Most of the time not a big deal, however I can just see going through a construction zone on the highway concrete barriers each side, rough paving. Blow a super single then and no room to recover. I did have this happen with duals, and was real happy to have the extra tire.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:20 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I havent yet understood the benefits of super singles.. biut I see them more and more in the wild..

I do wish i could get taller tires for my 19.5 rims but seems like everything is low pro..
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:26 AM   #7
Skoolie

Coachwork: AmTran/Wolfington
Chassis: 3800
Engine: International DT466E 190HP variant
Rated Cap: 72 pax 29500 GVWR
From what I understand some of the benefits can be lower rolling resistance, reduced unsprung weight overall, less parts per hub/wheel assembly, and not having to abide by that one DOT rule about the correct gap between dual rear tires. Just what I can come up with!
WARGEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:48 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Freighliner
Chassis: Fs-65
Engine: 5.9l cummins
Rated Cap: 36 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_In_MA View Post
A speed boost would come from taller tires - which will depend on if there's room under your bus for them, and if you can find wheels that will hold them. Super singles won't automatically give you a speed boost.

I've heard the super singles are more expensive, you'd have to buy new rims for them, and you loose the safety factor of duals - you can limp a blown dual off the highway, but if you loose a super single, you're stuck where you are on the side of the highway.

From what I've heard, it's not something I'd be interesting in throwing money at yet. I'd rather spend more for a better bus initially, or spend more money on solar/battery setup. Just my 2 cents.
I agree. I was looking into the supersingles aswell descided on 11r 22.5s instead and replaced the 9rs. For the very same reason there expensive and if you have a blow out you can atleast make it to a shop on 1 drive. Other factor it seems every shop can find or will have a used 11r22.5. Did find the ride better on my bus with the 11s aswell
Cjgoertzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:59 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Super singles are being used because of fuel efficiency. Most won't travel enough to warrant the increase in cost, but a fleet wide conversion is a different story.

In my experience they ride roughly the same as duals, and the speed increase will depend on the diameter difference, which is easy to measure.
Booyah45828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:43 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Super singles are being used because of fuel efficiency. Most won't travel enough to warrant the increase in cost, but a fleet wide conversion is a different story.

In my experience they ride roughly the same as duals, and the speed increase will depend on the diameter difference, which is easy to measure.

is there any in general ride improvement on duals going to taller or wider tires? I have air ride rear but those little 225/70R19.5s go "Ka-Bang!" over any bump it seems.. I dont notice the same on my DEV bus that has full size.. im thinking of going to a 245/70R19.5.

-Christopher
Old 03-29-2019, 08:58 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Taller tires for sure, wider I'm not certain. I don't think a wider tire will run softer as long as the diameters are the same.

Going from a 225/70R19.5 to a 245/70r19.5 will gain you a little diameter which should theoretically run smoother. I don't know if it would be noticeable or not.

The 19.5's always seem to ride rough. It's just the nature of the beast created by having that short of a sidewall with that many plies.

Not sure how much your bus weighs, but I know of some people who air down their tires. They're usually lightly loaded and wanting a better ride. Just make sure to watch temperatures and not overheat them. You might also lose some handling because of it.

I wouldn't recommend it but it's an idea you can mess with.
Booyah45828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:07 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Seems to be that no one makes a 75 height in a 19.5. There are the old obsolete motor home tires which were 8r19.5 I think. The only 75s I’ve seen are generally off road type tires ..

I should take it to the cat scale weigh in and then look up my tires and see what the psi at various weights should be.. I’m running the. At 90 cold currently
Old 03-29-2019, 09:17 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
Out of curiosity I checked out my tire size and what the replacements would be. I'm pretty happy with the idea of $80.00~ replacements for our 75R-16E.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:06 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
is there any in general ride improvement on duals going to taller or wider tires? I have air ride rear but those little 225/70R19.5s go "Ka-Bang!" over any bump it seems.. I dont notice the same on my DEV bus that has full size.. im thinking of going to a 245/70R19.5.

-Christopher
Larger OD tires should make for a more plush ride.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:26 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Larger OD tires should make for a more plush ride.

its hard to find them for 19.5 wheels without going much wider at the same time... im guessing one size up is all i can go on my current rims.. theres plenty of room in the fender wells for much bigger tires but my rims and brake rotor diameter may be cause for issue..

I dont like the idea of going to much biiger diameter rims and tires with the smaller rotors..

245/70R19.5 looks like the best I'll do... I had hoped there was a 245/75R19.5
Old 04-03-2019, 03:56 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Super singles are a lot of extra money- I’ve put 11r22.5 on my bus and I get a bit more rolling speed out of the taller tires. Harder on the hills though. Cheers
Dirtdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:15 PM   #17

Over 1,000,000 miles on Wide Singles

As commercial Truck Drivers, my wife and I have been driving on Wide Singles for about 8 years. NEVER a blowout. East, West, North, South..... Running around the country on the worst roads in every State. They ride better. Although they're narrower in appearance, the contact patch for them is WIDER and LARGER than a set of duals. I won't run a vehicle without a TPMS. PERIOD. The great majority of blowouts occur because of HEAT, not sidewall punctures. Low pressure makes for hotter tires. Good TPMS systems also monitor tire temperatures. We gained .6 MPG by just changing to our Wide Singles. Cost is about the same for 1 WS as 2 singles ($800). Better traction in bad weather is another benefit. I'll run em'! ONLY WITH a TPMS!

This is the brand we run.....

https://tsttruck.com/507-series-6-fl...r-display.html
JeepinSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:34 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Fuel efficiency is better
They do ride much better and are quite.
Sizing will give you more speed on the taller tire.
Real draw backs are hydro planing snow traction and “no “ back up But tire pressure monitors are cheap and reliable now a days. And you should be checking everything before you travel any ways.

my tire guy can get me deal on them so it is the way I am going he has several sets of alloy rims he will sell me cheap in +2or zero offsets.

Different for me because I will be driving mine a lot.
Seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:37 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriousracer View Post
Fuel efficiency is better
They do ride much better and are quite.
Sizing will give you more speed on the taller tire.
Real draw backs are hydro planing snow traction and “no “ back up But tire pressure monitors are cheap and reliable now a days. And you should be checking everything before you travel any ways.

my tire guy can get me deal on them so it is the way I am going he has several sets of alloy rims he will sell me cheap in +2or zero offsets.

Different for me because I will be driving mine a lot.

I drive mine ALOT and I need a solution for the harsh ride of the low profile 225/70R19.5's I have on the rear... I dont think there are high profile singles for 19.5s made. everything in that size is lo-pro
Old 04-04-2019, 02:20 AM   #20
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I drive mine ALOT and I need a solution for the harsh ride of the low profile 225/70R19.5's I have on the rear... I dont think there are high profile singles for 19.5s made. everything in that size is lo-pro

What wheels do you have?

Can you go to 22.5" wheels instead? If you can your choices are much larger.

Our church owns a Saf-T-Liner EF with a flat floor. It came to us with little donut tires. We were lucky we had 22.5" tires so we were able to upsize quite a bit. We ended up putting blocks under the air bags to lift the rear end up a little bit to get the tires to clear the almost non-existent fender wells.

I would have to check but the current tires are at least six inches taller and the ride is not bad.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote