Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: ward flat nose
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466 mt643 air ride
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Thermal wrapping turbo and other stuff

I'm really surprised you have a waste gate turbo on a '91. They didn't use many of those until the very late 90s on. My '93 dodge didn't come with one, nor did my '99 Mack. I don't think they help much, Their main function is to control boost at he higher rpm range. Correct me if I'm wrong.

kotflb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:47 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that turbo boost goes up exponentially and not linearly with RPM. Without a fixed or adjustable wastegate, or some other means of limiting the boost pressure, you would find your pistons on Mars after a good mash on the pedal.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
Bus Nut

most of the high volume production engines controll the boost by limiting the size of the turbo and snail orfice size/exhaust restriction, it's really just the factory KISS system, the other part is the governor controls rpm by limiting fuel to contol power and protect from meltdown. that being said they make bigger injecters,pumps and turbo's, heck acoding to the truck pullers you can tune a 5.9 12 valve 195 hp cummins up to 1200 HP reliable and in excess of 2000HP if reliability isn't an issue.all it takes is money.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote