Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2010, 01:55 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 5.9 liter turbo Cummins
Rated Cap: 28
WHAT AIR COMPRESSOR ON CUMMINS 5.9L?

Dear friends,

Our 1992 Ford B700 with Cummins 5.9L ISB is equipped with hydraulic brakes. We want to add an air compressor to be able to add a Jacobs exhaust brake and some other things. What brand or model of air compressor is the one that does NOT run off belts, but connects direct to the engine?

Thanks in advance!

Dr. Steve, central old Mexico

XE1UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26
Re: WHAT AIR COMPRESSOR ON CUMMINS 5.9L?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XE1UFO
Dear friends,

Our 1992 Ford B700 with Cummins 5.9L ISB is equipped with hydraulic brakes. We want to add an air compressor to be able to add a Jacobs exhaust brake and some other things. What brand or model of air compressor is the one that does NOT run off belts, but connects direct to the engine?

Thanks in advance!

Dr. Steve, central old Mexico
At least in semis Jake brakes require the exhaust valve to enter teh combustion chamber before the up-stroke for compression. The brake requires the cylinder head to be of a slightly different design in comparision to the conventional diesel cylinder head. I'm familiar with the 3406 Cat and the Cummins 400 and above designs. However, I'm stil learning about the bus engines...... I'm not sure if the theories are similar or not. However, I presume they are. I'm pulling the air compressor from my M1031 and putting it in Max for a variety of reasons. The compressor is a genset/shore powered unit.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

I may be wrong, but doubt it. Jake doesnt make a typical Jake Brake, one that alters valve timing, for the 5.9. They do have an after turbo type brake like the Blue Ox though.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 5.9 liter turbo Cummins
Rated Cap: 28

Thanks for both of your comments, dear friends. HOWEVER... Jacobs DOES make several versions of aftermarket exhaust brakes, which are very different from the type that goes in the valves. So does Pacbrake and several others. These first became popular with the motorhome crowd.

Mine specifically says "Jacobs" on it. These are basically universal, and designed for a specific exhaust diameter, instead of engine type. There are both air pressure-controlled (like mine) or electrically controlled, with a very robust solenoid.

Jacobs exhaust brake: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jacob...ehicleQ5fParts
Packbrake: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pacbr...Q5fAccessories

So back to the original question: What make and model of compressor is designed for the Cummins 5.9L?
XE1UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

No biggie, I'm just familiar with big truck Jakes.....
Old 12-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

That's essentially what the aftermarket exhaust brakes do...they work very well; however, they cannot be used with some automatic transmissions!
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Location: Willard, OH & Charlotte, NC www.jamboreeinthehills.com
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000 - Flat nose
Engine: 5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Probably a Holset. I have a Holset on my 1996 Blue Bird TC2000 with Cummins 5.9 Turbo Diesel. As far as I know, it came with it since the serial number has a 95 in it. Mine is model # SS296BE

Here is more info on it: http://www.haldex.com/en/China/Applicat ... ured/1524/
logistix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: ford
Engine: 6.6 Ford
Rated Cap: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender477
all cummins 5.9 series engines have the mounting holes for the air compressor , its driven by a gear near the injector pump . just find one at the junkyard and rob the compressor and gear from it and it will bolt up just fine , you will also need the air dryer and regulator which is usually located elsewhere remotely . .
FYI:
you can use the compressor off of an 8.3 Cummins too. They share many, many components. Make sure you get the support bracket for the back! They are notorious for cracking the timing gear case from the weight bouncing around.
nevrenufhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:21 PM   #9

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: Cummins 5.9L 24v
Rated Cap: 82
98 blue bird transit FE Cummins 5.9L 24v

Here is the tag on my holset. As you can see by the wetness I have something going wrong with mine. I am looking to get an idea of replacement cost before pulling it off to inspect. But I cannot match these numbers to any available holset unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Side note I have a couple tablespoons of coolant in my air tanks every time I bleed them.
Rumroller is offline   Reply With Quote