Old 08-17-2019, 12:21 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 30,000
BLM lands future

So being fairly young I might be one of the people included in the “ bandwagon .”
There’s probably a lot more van life and mobile housing now . I expected to be able to save for a few years and find a job either free lance labor or something digitally .

Now I’m beginning to think what if I build this bus out and me and thousands of others all expect the same thing .
To travel and use blm land sites for off grid , boo docking.
Then the gov. Puts restrictions in place.
I’m still taking the chance but this video got me thinking ....
https://youtu.be/jxea05CrnaU

I was expecting to visit national parks and travel around for awhile and I still hope in being able to do so.

Any thoughts y’all might have that relate?
BusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:47 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Attacked from all sides wanting to exploit it or preserve it, everyone should be saying to the overzealous - itís not yours itís all of ours. Itís not yours for your corporation to strip or graze without true compensation and itís not yours for your conservancy to fence off.

Itís the last frontier of land to grab. Tell them all to keep their mitts off!
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:49 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I would imagine that the amount of land available for public "use" will end up being reduced as time goes on. I also believe that there will always be available land, but getting a spot for camping/boondocking will be much more difficult.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:10 AM   #4
Skoolie

Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 30,000
Yeah I think as time goes on it’s either going to be restricted for conservancy . And there will be limited spots to go .And then you might not be able to find solitude . Or a spot to yourself . Hopefully that won’t happen for a few years.
BusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:09 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
Well, you just have to stay away from the most popular spots. When I went to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon in 1961, I thought it was way too crowded then. So I have never been back and have no desire whatsoever to go again. And I am talking before I saw this video about crowding in National Parks. After the video I am even more convinced.
gs1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 02:28 PM   #6
Bus Nut

I think there are two separate problems - overcrowding, and conservation.

People are ALWAYS going to flock to the big-name parks - the grand canyon, yellowstone, etc. They're the parks with the big names, and the big attractions. I've never been, and I'm sure they're amazing - but with a little planning, I bet there are also a lot of amazing parks that don't draw the huge crowds. If you want to see something particular, sometimes you have to go to a particular park. If you just want to see something interesting, there are a lot of choices. (For example, I've been to Niagara Falls. It was pretty amazing - but it doesn't mean that I've suddenly lost interested in seeing any other smaller waterfall again. That two mile hike down the path somewhere in New Hampshire was just as exciting and fun.)

I'm not sure what to do about the conservation aspect being a problem. I was listening to some discussions/debates about it - the idea that some land needs to be protected in it's natural state, while other land should be public land - meaning it shouldn't be bulldozed for houses or construction, but it should still be open for the public to enjoy. I honestly don't know enough about it to really come down either way (to say we should be doing more of one, or less of the other) - I think both are important. Its really important to protect the land in the first place - once it's gone to development, you can't get it back at all.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:18 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Coachwork: IC
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar T444e
Rated Cap: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_In_MA View Post
People are ALWAYS going to flock to the big-name parks - the grand canyon, yellowstone, etc. They're the parks with the big names, and the big attractions. I've never been, and I'm sure they're amazing - but with a little planning, I bet there are also a lot of amazing parks that don't draw the huge crowds. If you want to see something particular, sometimes you have to go to a particular park. If you just want to see something interesting, there are a lot of choices. (For example, I've been to Niagara Falls. It was pretty amazing - but it doesn't mean that I've suddenly lost interested in seeing any other smaller waterfall again. That two mile hike down the path somewhere in New Hampshire was just as exciting and fun.)
Very well said.

For me, an amazing, awesome, and fulfilling experience is simply being out in nature, away from crowd-scenes like that. Let the herd animals pay to wait in line to see something 'special'. Their money goes towards funding all the other lands they'll never step foot on for lack of structured activities, bottled water stations, or social safety nets.

As far as 'social media' goes, I don't think you could construct a better oxymoron if you tried. The more 'social' we get, the more lonely and narcissistic we become. Death by Apple. FTW.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:06 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
Very well said.

For me, an amazing, awesome, and fulfilling experience is simply being out in nature, away from crowd-scenes like that. Let the herd animals pay to wait in line to see something 'special'. Their money goes towards funding all the other lands they'll never step foot on for lack of structured activities, bottled water stations, or social safety nets.

As far as 'social media' goes, I don't think you could construct a better oxymoron if you tried. The more 'social' we get, the more lonely and narcissistic we become. Death by Apple. FTW.
VERY well said!

Tags
blm, crowd, national parks