Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 07:58 AM   #41
Skoolie

Coachwork: 1991 bluebird
Click image for larger version

Name:	turret.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	30368 I believe in open carry.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:51 PM   #42
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 8.3L / MD3060R
Rated Cap: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
why carry?

at best, you'll never need it or use it. at worst you will need it or use it. That is not the worst. you can already guarantee the best outcome if you cont have one. How do you suppose the best outcome is guaranteed? What if you need it and don't have it?

if the need to kill is something you do, then use good tools and take care of them. you will need to check the laws of each state you travel to.

if you can't bother to follow the rules, then you really should not pack a gun.

I know this is old... but ... just... wow.

Lot of good advice in this thread, this isn't one of them.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:43 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntryby View Post
I know this is old... but ... just... wow.

Lot of good advice in this thread, this isn't one of them.
Agreed.

My thought on "the worst" comes from two interviews that I have seen that follow basically the same circumstances.

Both were gentlemen who held valid concealed carry permits. They were both attending functions, with their wives, in facilities that prohibited carrying a gun even it you have a carry permit.

Both men left their guns locked in their cars. Both were faced with mass shooters in a gun free zone.

Outcome...... Both men are now widowers.

Can you imagine, as a CPL holder, watching the shooter taking shots into the audience and being unable to protect yourself. Or, worse yet, unable to protect your wife/family.. That would be the worst.

Every day I keep handy some things that I will always have at hand and hope that I never have to use :

Auto insurance
Spare tire
Fire extinguisher
Self defense pistol

Unfortunately, I have had insurance claims. I have had to change flat tires and I have extinguished a couple of fires.

I have only drawn my pistol once, about 25 years ago. I thank God that I did not have to shoot. I was prepared to shoot in order to protect my family and myself. The presence of a firearm diffused the situation.

I am glad that the extent of damage was a damaged front door and split door jam.

I dread the thought of shooting another person. I would be horrible. But.... If someone threatens to harm my family I will shoot without hesitation. I will not stop shooting until I am certain the threat is abated.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:54 PM   #44
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
I have looked into this topic pretty extensively. I've found my best bet is a nonresident permit for FL.

With resident NH + nonresident FL (blue: can carry, red: cannot, green: have permits in):
Click image for larger version

Name:	permits.png
Views:	15
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	42365

Utah is another great option. But FL covers all the states I really care to visit. Anything inbetween, transport FOPA compliant.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:02 AM   #45
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Never heard of anyone being incarcerated or penalized for simply just passing through a state that restricts handguns, as long as said unloaded firearm is not within reach of driver, (same for ammo), and firearm is not brandished.
Doesn't apply to Joe Public travelling from Florida to Maine with a stopover in the Bronx.
Kinda hard to say you're just passing through, in that scenario...
Then you haven't been paying attention . . . For example, a Vermont (no permit needed) man was driving through New York without stopping several years ago, on his way to living to Oregon. He was stopped in the middle of the night on a rural Interstate, almost to Pennsylvania, for a taillight problem. The trooper noticed long guns in the back seat, and asked about any others. When the driver admitted he had pistols, he saw the inside of a jail cell. The trooper was praised for his anti-crime action by his supervisors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
I have looked into this topic pretty extensively. I've found my best bet is a nonresident permit for FL.

With resident NH + nonresident FL (blue: can carry, red: cannot, green: have permits in)

Utah is another great option. But FL covers all the states I really care to visit. Anything inbetween, transport FOPA compliant.
But can you make it from New Hampshire to Pennsylvania without a flat tire, or stopping for food? New York has zero reciprocity. New York City and the other 57 counties of New York State are not even reciprocal with each other. Massachusetts, Connecticut and New Jersey can't "take a joke," either.

The best bet is to have a firearms dealer send your pistol ahead to another dealer, and travel with a pump shotgun.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:22 AM   #46
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear View Post
The best bet is to have a firearms dealer send your pistol ahead to another dealer, and travel with a pump shotgun.
Not sure pumps are exempt from any of that either. Firearms are basically contraband in those states without explicit permission to possess them from the state.

I refuse. FOPA compliant through those states. If I travel with firearms they'll be under lock and key, not sitting in a back seat. And I'm not answering any questions per advice from legal counsel, nor do I consent to any searches or seizures. That was the Vermont man's screwup, thinking people who follow the rules and mean well will be fine.

Tyrants.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:51 AM   #47
Bus Nut

Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I dread the thought of shooting another person. I would be horrible. But.... If someone threatens to harm my family I will shoot without hesitation. I will not stop shooting until I am certain the threat is abated.
Quote:
It is very important to know the carry and transport laws of each state that you will be traveling through. It is also very important to know the specific laws pertaining to what properties you are legal to conceal on in each state. One other major thing to know is magazine capacity allowed in each state you will be in.

A Nevada Highway Patrol Investigator with 32 years on the job was meeting with an informant at a restaurant on the California side of the lake Tahoe border. He was retrieving something from his trunk and someone saw his AR-15 in the trunk and called CHP. NHP trooper ended up in jail in Ca for over a week trying to get that ironed out. Lesson here, don't ever take any kind of pistol grip anything long gun into California, no matter who you are. Also, don't ever take any magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds into California. You will end up in jail! Best bet, although not preferable, if you are traveling across state borders, stick to 10 round magazines and you will largely be OK.

If you feel the need to conceal carry, I believe the best permits to get are Nevada, Utah, and Washington D.C. These three will allow for the most to states be covered with reciprocity. But be aware, this does not cover all lower 48 states. There are a few that do not recognize any but their own state, and as mentioned, there are a few that don't even recognize their own state permits within different counties.

Lucky for a few of us, and thanks to George H.W. Bush, we are covered by LEOSA. (Title 18, USC 926B for those with a lot of time on their hands and like to read) This gives me the ability to carry concealed in all 50 states. It does come with some drawbacks, but they are few and fairly easy to manage through as long as I stay educated on the restrictions.

The main key to this subject is to stay educated on the gun laws in each state you are traveling through. Ignorance is not an excuse, especially when law enforcement and guns are involved.
Old 08-31-2020, 04:04 PM   #48
Mini-Skoolie

My Texas LTC is good in about 33 states. I just avoid the other 17.

OP. Have you considered concealing your gun safe. Mount it under the floor or behind a hidden wall panel? Flip up headboard? Behind couch cushion? Can't be too careful.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:28 PM   #49
Skoolie

Coachwork: 1991 bluebird
You have toe kicks on your cabinets? Make it a drawer held with mag locks. I personally plan on multiple "spots" for this exact reason.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:48 AM   #50
Bus Nut

Be careful of California, they have all sorts of unfriendly gun laws.

Leave a empty Tofu container in the sink and a PETA sticker on the cabinet and you might get away.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:37 AM   #51
Bus Crazy

I just will not travel where my rights aren't respected...

Maybe straight through without stopping if I have no other route.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:45 AM   #52
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

This. I may be driving to DE in a couple of years because my son will be stationed there when he gets back from Korea. I'm legal everywhere but Maryland on the route. I'll drive straight through and will have our guns well hidden in that state. I may even go the extra miles to avoid Maryland and come down from PA.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:55 AM   #53
Bus Nut

Quote:

Yes, PLEASE do NOT come to California if you don't RESPECT OUR LAWS.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:59 AM   #54
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
Yes, PLEASE do NOT come to California if you don't RESPECT OUR LAWS.
There's no way to legally exercise one's rights in CA. They do not honor out of state permits and will not issue permits to non-residents.

You're the ones who need to learn respect for the law- #2A. No other right outlined in the Bill of Rights is seen to be able to be restricted to state residents only. None. Do your 1st Amendment rights disappear at the state line? Can you muzzle my speech if I drive into CA?
Old 09-01-2020, 12:51 PM   #55
Bus Nut

Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:

All the states I have researched for travel through give the ability for you to legally transport a firearm into and through them. California is pretty iffy on what is allowed, but you can still transport if you follow their rules. The key is to research each states laws before you pass through. One example is New York. As a LEO I am allowed to conceal in all 50 states, but there are some goofy stipulations for traveling through New York with my high capacity magazine. I can enter the state, but can not stop for anything but fuel, then right back on the road, if I have a high capacity mag in my gun. If it is a 10 round, I can also get something to eat, but can't hang out anywhere. That's my take on the legal-eze language in what I read. Stupid for sure, but doable if I ever have to travel through there. As far as California and their stupid laws go, I'm almost ashamed to say I was born there. Although it was on a military base and my dad was out on the range qualifying as a sharp shooter with a high capacity magazine in his M16 when I was born, so that kinda balances out the scale on that.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:10 PM   #56
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
All the states I have researched for travel through give the ability for you to legally transport a firearm into and through them. California is pretty iffy on what is allowed, but you can still transport if you follow their rules. The key is to research each states laws before you pass through. One example is New York. As a LEO I am allowed to conceal in all 50 states, but there are some goofy stipulations for traveling through New York with my high capacity magazine. I can enter the state, but can not stop for anything but fuel, then right back on the road, if I have a high capacity mag in my gun. If it is a 10 round, I can also get something to eat, but can't hang out anywhere. That's my take on the legal-eze language in what I read. Stupid for sure, but doable if I ever have to travel through there. As far as California and their stupid laws go, I'm almost ashamed to say I was born there. Although it was on a military base and my dad was out on the range qualifying as a sharp shooter with a high capacity magazine in his M16 when I was born, so that kinda balances out the scale on that.
Like you, I no longer am proud to say I'm a native Californian, don't want to be associated with the state at all anymore, it's been ruined.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:08 PM   #57
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Like you, I no longer am proud to say I'm a native Californian, don't want to be associated with the state at all anymore, it's been ruined.
Agreed. I’ll be happy to stay here in VA where open carry is legal. At least until I convince the hubby to move to Alaska..
Old 09-01-2020, 08:45 PM   #58
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Well, it sounds like I need to sell my arsenal since it doesn't look like theres a real legal way to transport a firearm. On the bright side, I would have enough funds to build a luxury liner of a bus ;)
Timely topic too as I was going to ask about the legality. I am curious as to the transport of liquor too. Arizona will lock you up if there is alcohol in a vehicle so it seems.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:08 AM   #59
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
Well, it sounds like I need to sell my arsenal since it doesn't look like theres a real legal way to transport a firearm. On the bright side, I would have enough funds to build a luxury liner of a bus ;)
Timely topic too as I was going to ask about the legality. I am curious as to the transport of liquor too. Arizona will lock you up if there is alcohol in a vehicle so it seems.
Check the laws on whether what you are driving is a vehicle or classified as your residence, where the guns may be legal.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:01 PM   #60
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
Bootlegging is very much a crime -- liquor taxes are a state thing. Anything that smacks of local tax evasion will be locally problematic...

I won't address the actual gun laws -- my paranoia runs elsewhere...

We're not looking for you if you're not the problem
https://spacenews.com/us-air-force-s...camera-system/

The Murder Bus
Closed Thread