Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 07:55 AM   #1
Almost There

Firearms When Roaming

So my wife and I are avid hunters and marksmen and have a small gun safe we want to bring with us when we travel in the bus.

Since we will be crossing many state lines and would want to just go with the flow rather than plan out every state and have to check each states gun laws, blah blah, what would be the best way to deal with our firearms?

Would we be required to comply with each states laws? Like California has stupid strict laws and our collection would not be legal there.

If they are locked in a gun safe, is that god enough to travel and tour with?

Old 03-03-2018, 08:07 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Also interested in this topic...
Old 03-03-2018, 08:18 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

The short answer is: it depends.

I did a bit of research on this to see if it was worth it to take a firearm on a multi-state trip, and decided it wasn't worth the fuss.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/gun-laws-state/ or the guide on amazon

A good guide to each state's laws. It's generally not an issue if you are just traveling through a state, but many states only include that if you are not stopping for gas or shelter, so pretty tough.

I think the main thing to look at are your motivations to bring a gun. If you're actually hunting, just bring it. Shotguns and hunting rifles that don't typically fall into "Assault rifle" category are generally not going to have any issues. Smaller handguns are great protection against snakes and other little creatures, but there may be more difficult laws with these, so I would look at your particular destination.

Honestly, I decided it wasn't worth it because I don't plan on hunting, and mace/whistle/stick will generally be a better form of non-lethal defense. I also have my two dogs, and even though they wouldn't hurt a fly (the baddies don't have to know that), they work as a deterrent at night.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:19 AM   #4
Skoolie

I am a concealed carry permit holder in my home state and from what I gather, wherever you are you are subject to whatever state and local laws are in effect in that location. It seems like every state and city have different laws on the books. I don’t travel out of state with a firearm because of fear of being arrested for possession of a legally purchased and owned firearm.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:29 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Not sure what the current state of things are, but at one time, an RV was considered your "home" anywhere you went and any firearms were fine as long as they were legal and remained inside.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:23 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Not sure what the current state of things are, but at one time, an RV was considered your "home" anywhere you went and any firearms were fine as long as they were legal and remained inside.
If it's locked inside a gun safe they aren't ever going to know what's in there unless you have done something seriously wrong. You must know the law before you take the gun out of the safe. The 4th amendment is your friend. There are probably people that have figured out what routes to take to get places to avoid problems as well. And the hunting license people in the state that you are interested in visiting may know the rules for contiguous states also.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2018, 09:24 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Frim ILA:

FEDERAL LAW ON TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARMS
A provision of the federal law known as the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act, or FOPA, protects those who are transporting firearms for lawful purposes from local restrictions which would otherwise prohibit passage.

Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered.

Travelers should be aware that some state and local governments treat this federal provision as an “affirmative defense” that may only be raised after an arrest. All travelers in areas with restrictive laws would be well advised to have copies of any applicable firearm licenses or permits, as well as copies or printouts from the relevant jurisdictions’ official publications or websites documenting pertinent provisions of law (including FOPA itself) or reciprocity information. In the event of an unexpected or extended delay, travelers should make every effort not to handle any luggage containing firearms unnecessarily and to secure it in a location where they do not have ready access to it.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:43 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
PNW Steve is correct but you have to be careful. The last paragraph basically means that the state can still arrest you even though you are protected under FOPA. Which would mean you have to hire a lawyer, go to court, and use FOPA as a defense. As a person who has gone through a divorce I can tell you lawyers are expensive.
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
Old 03-04-2018, 10:02 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWorBUST72 View Post
So my wife and I are avid hunters and marksmen and have a small gun safe we want to bring with us when we travel in the bus.

Since we will be crossing many state lines and would want to just go with the flow rather than plan out every state and have to check each states gun laws, blah blah, what would be the best way to deal with our firearms?

Would we be required to comply with each states laws? Like California has stupid strict laws and our collection would not be legal there.

If they are locked in a gun safe, is that god enough to travel and tour with?
I'd think the gun safe would your best defense...BUT if you really want to be on solid LEGAL ground buy some good legal advice...there's 50 states(48 with easy access) and a federal government...get it wrong and it's gonna suck...

With that said hunters travel all the time

My 2 cents

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2018, 10:33 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
All travelers in areas with restrictive laws would be well advised to have copies of any applicable firearm licenses or permits, as well as copies or printouts from the relevant jurisdictions’ official publications or websites documenting pertinent provisions of law (including FOPA itself) or reciprocity information.
^^ This

I legally transport explosives. Many times across state lines.

Your best bet is to (1) know the law and (2) document it.

I keep my federal explosive license, state licenses and other documents in a binder in my vehicle at all times. I also keep contacts -- business cards and phone numbers of BATFE Agents I know/have worked with, Fire Marshal contacts etc -- handy.

Additionally, contact state authorities in states you intend to visit in advance -- DNR, State Police, State Fire Marshal -- whoever may have jurisdiction. If you speak to them on the phone, ask for a follow up email. Print that email out and put that in the binder with your licenses, Conceal Carry etc.

If you're stopped, being knowledgeable, confident and polite will go a long way.

Remember that most state troopers, and especially local law enforcement officers won't really know much of the law beyond their local jurisdiction.

No need to be argumentative with them. A polite discussion backed up with documentation will get you through almost any circumstance.

Another thing, police aren't usually too concerned with those licensed to own firearms -- it's the ones without a license who have guns that scare them.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:00 PM   #11

Hey!

There was a good article that pointed out a small, fort knox safe (the 4th safe on within the article). The safe is made out of 10 gauge steel and has a mechanical lock. If you are transporting, you may drop or ding the safe. This one wouldn't dent as it is pretty industructable Plus I love fort knox.

Gun safe article:
https://buyerbenchmark.com/best-gun-safe-under-1000/

Good luck!
Old 02-10-2019, 10:29 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
As doing the bus conversion there are a lot of compartments being made. And I will probably have a Lucille movie prop also��
Old 02-10-2019, 10:59 PM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
Check your states reciprocity with other states. For example, concealed carry permit is no longer required in Kansas but having one allows carrying in states (approx. 32) where a CCH permit is required.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:18 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Many states have ccw reciprocity as GW states. I believe if you are simply passing through a "non friendly" state and don't get involved with law enforcement for anything related to possessing the weapon, you are good to go...
Old 02-25-2019, 07:24 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Many states have ccw reciprocity as GW states. I believe if you are simply passing through a "non friendly" state and don't get involved with law enforcement for anything related to possessing the weapon, you are good to go...
That's like saying if I shot you and you can't find me, I'm good to go.
I believe only 36 states have firearm reciprocity. You best know which ones don't because getting caught with a weapon in an unfriendly state will certainly ruin your day. I just ordered a book about this exact subject. I'll fill in more info after I get it.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:52 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
That's like saying if I shot you and you can't find me, I'm good to go.

I believe only 36 states have firearm reciprocity. You best know which ones don't because getting caught with a weapon in an unfriendly state will certainly ruin your day. I just ordered a book about this exact subject. I'll fill in more info after I get it.
The problem with books is they are outdated just after printing. There are several good apps that update as the laws change.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:20 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
why carry?

if you have to ask the internet how to do it, it may not be a good idea for you.

at best, you'll never need it or use it. at worst you will need it or use it. you can already guarantee the best outcome if you cont have one.

if the need to kill is something you do, then use good tools and take care of them. you will need to check the laws of each state you travel to.

if you can't bother to follow the rules, then you really should not pack a gun.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:46 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
why carry?

if you have to ask the internet how to do it, it may not be a good idea for you.

at best, you'll never need it or use it. at worst you will need it or use it. you can already guarantee the best outcome if you cont have one.

if the need to kill is something you do, then use good tools and take care of them. you will need to check the laws of each state you travel to.

if you can't bother to follow the rules, then you really should not pack a gun.
I carry a gun because a cop is to heavy.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:58 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bolt View Post
I carry a gun because a cop is to heavy.

... and much more difficult to conceal!
Old 02-26-2019, 04:46 AM   #20
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Prevost
Chassis: H3-45
Engine: Detroit DDEC III
Rated Cap: A LOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
One good example of that is Illinois. I live in Tennessee and did some summer work for a company in St. Louis in 2012/2013. They sent me over to Leavenworth Kansas. So, from Tennessee, I drove through KY, Il, Mo and Ks. With the exception of Illinois, the other states all recognized my TN carry permit. I didn't pack my gun away in Illinois. I just drove really respectable like. Didn't want to get pulled over.