Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2017, 02:45 PM   #141
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
That's cold in Florida?
Anything below like 75 and people are wearing fuzzy boots and scarves. I was near the beach a while back and it was like 75 and there were tourists in tiny swimsuits next to a group of local girls in trenchcoats and boots and hats and steaming starbucks pumpkin spice lattes.

It got down to about 43 or so for me last night. Almost turned on the heater, but we endured.

brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:58 PM   #142
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Anything below like 75 and people are wearing fuzzy boots and scarves. I was near the beach a while back and it was like 75 and there were tourists in tiny swimsuits next to a group of local girls in trenchcoats and boots and hats and steaming starbucks pumpkin spice lattes.

It got down to about 43 or so for me last night. Almost turned on the heater, but we endured.
Laugh all yall want at us southerners. Anyone crazy enough to live where it snows can laugh at us living in a tropical paradise all they want!
I don't actually do TOO bad in cold weather. I was out mowing this am and it was in the 30's.
I rode my moped in shorts yesterday, when most were in coats and all.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:36 PM   #143
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
In '88 I was passing through San Diego in February. It was sunny and about 65* so we were playing on the beach in shorts and t-shirts after driving for thousands of miles. After a while we noticed a crowd gathering on the edge of the parking lot where we had parked and they seemed to be looking out to sea. They were all dressed in down coats and warm hats. After a while there were about 30 people, so I walked over there to see what they were looking at. They were just looking at us playing in the surf. Kept asking if we were from Alaska, but nope, just Oregon.

Our beaches in NW Oregon are beautiful on a sunny day, but generally quite miserable with foot aching cold water and nearly constant cold wind.

Favorite ocean; Sea of Japan, absolutely the cleanest ocean water I've ever swam in and it was warm. That was a beach near the DMZ in south Korea.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:47 PM   #144
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
In '88 I was passing through San Diego in February. It was sunny and about 65* so we were playing on the beach in shorts and t-shirts after driving for thousands of miles. After a while we noticed a crowd gathering on the edge of the parking lot where we had parked and they seemed to be looking out to sea. They were all dressed in down coats and warm hats. After a while there were about 30 people, so I walked over there to see what they were looking at. They were just looking at us playing in the surf. Kept asking if we were from Alaska, but nope, just Oregon.

Our beaches in NW Oregon are beautiful on a sunny day, but generally quite miserable with foot aching cold water and nearly constant cold wind.

Favorite ocean; Sea of Japan, absolutely the cleanest ocean water I've ever swam in and it was warm. That was a beach near the DMZ in south Korea.
I have friends who live on/near the williamette up there. Supposed to be beautiful country, but I just couldn't do the winters.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:04 PM   #145
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Engine: Caterpillar 3116
Rated Cap: 78?
O.K my Floridian peeps, do you all know of any fishcamps or other RV parks, that are central florida and not so much money? The one I have lined up is fine but I'd like to save a little money if I can. Thanks for your time, Scott.
Scott Marcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:43 PM   #146

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Saf-T-Liner
Hi everybody!
I have been lurking on here reading and gathering information, ideas, and inspiration for a little bit. My girlfriend and I have been interested in tiny house/living for a bit and considered buying an airstream to rehab and update, building a tiny house on wheels, or a skoolie for some time.

Well we decided on the skoolie and just brought home our bus this past Saturday, a 2002 Thomas Saf-T-Liner. We found it in Tampa, we first went up on Thursday to look at some busses and then, after securing insurance, we returned Saturday to buy it and bring her home! Actually on our way up there on Thursday we passed a skoolie on I-75 northbound right before Tampa. Was it anyone on here? We wished we would have beeped when we passed and given a wave

Anyways we are excited to get into our project. We are planning to live in the bus full time and it will be our first home! Hope we get to meet some other people from here in person as well!
NomadicDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:51 PM   #147
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Engine: Caterpillar 3116
Rated Cap: 78?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDreams View Post
Hi everybody!
I have been lurking on here reading and gathering information, ideas, and inspiration for a little bit. My girlfriend and I have been interested in tiny house/living for a bit and considered buying an airstream to rehab and update, building a tiny house on wheels, or a skoolie for some time.

Well we decided on the skoolie and just brought home our bus this past Saturday, a 2002 Thomas Saf-T-Liner. We found it in Tampa, we first went up on Thursday to look at some busses and then, after securing insurance, we returned Saturday to buy it and bring her home! Actually on our way up there on Thursday we passed a skoolie on I-75 northbound right before Tampa. Was it anyone on here? We wished we would have beeped when we passed and given a wave

Anyways we are excited to get into our project. We are planning to live in the bus full time and it will be our first home! Hope we get to meet some other people from here in person as well!
very cool. I'm not actually in Florida yet, but I will be soon and I'm from there. We on this florida tag have been talking about a get together or two. We'll all have to see. I plan to be there beginning of next month.
Scott Marcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:05 PM   #148
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Hi everybody!

Ooh! Where's you get it from, Tampa Bus Market?? My wife and I were just there this past Monday looking at buses and taking dimensions and whatnot. We're in St. Pete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
danielramirez546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:11 PM   #149
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
it was 43 here in st pete this morning.. I turned on the heater in my apartment when I got up... ..walked to the Coffee shop with a jacket on and the hood up... later on.. the breeze was still cold but the sun nice n warm so I shed the jacket..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:47 PM   #150

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Saf-T-Liner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Marcano View Post
very cool. I'm not actually in Florida yet, but I will be soon and I'm from there. We on this florida tag have been talking about a get together or two. We'll all have to see. I plan to be there beginning of next month.
Yeah my girlfriend and I are from Miami, we moved up to Cape Coral/Ft. Myers area last June. A meet up would definitely be awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielramirez546 View Post
Ooh! Where's you get it from, Tampa Bus Market?? My wife and I were just there this past Monday looking at buses and taking dimensions and whatnot. We're in St. Pete.

Yep that's where we got it! Did you find anything you liked there?
NomadicDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:18 PM   #151
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Yep that's where we got it! Did you find anything you liked there?

We did! Just too much than we wanted to pay. It was huge and had the engine in the front. Those are pretty much our requirements. We're hoping to make a storage room of sorts in the back of the bus.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/bfs/6031821676.html

Old 03-17-2017, 05:31 AM   #152
Bus Geek

Quote:
We did! Just too much than we wanted to pay. It was huge and had the engine in the front. Those are pretty much our requirements. We're hoping to make a storage room of sorts in the back of the bus.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/bfs/6031821676.html

Don't bother paying more than retail at dealers.
I've got two GREAT buses and paid two grand or less for each. Auctions, man. They'll save you a ton of money and you won't feel like a sucker paying inflated prices for no good reason.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:53 AM   #153
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Don't bother paying more than retail at dealers.

I've got two GREAT buses and paid two grand or less for each. Auctions, man. They'll save you a ton of money and you won't feel like a sucker paying inflated prices for no good reason.

The problem with those is they're usually hundreds of miles away and the wife isn't to fond of buying something sight unseen. I'm all for it actually! Plus you have to register it in that state first and then drive it down. She's also afraid of it being a rust bucket and not knowing until after she buys it. Maybe you could help me dissipate her worries with actual knowledge and information about this since you've already used auctions twice?? Lol.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:01 AM   #154
Bus Geek

Quote:
The problem with those is they're usually hundreds of miles away and the wife isn't to fond of buying something sight unseen. I'm all for it actually! Plus you have to register it in that state first and then drive it down. She's also afraid of it being a rust bucket and not knowing until after she buys it. Maybe you could help me dissipate her worries with actual knowledge and information about this since you've already used auctions twice?? Lol.

Do some more research before buying, man.
You don't have to register it in the state you're buyin it in, at all. ever.
PM me and I'll walk you through my auction experiences. I've only won two, but I've bid on literally hundreds of buses in the last couple years.
Those bus dealers are buying the SAME buses, hosing them off maybe, and selling them for 5-10 times the price. You can cut out the middle man.
My last bus came from Colorado. $1760 out the door on brand new tires, fresh fluids, good batteries, ready to go! Its SUPREME compared to the crap here in FL. Came decked out with everything one could want. VERY little rust, as its the high desert. Western buses are WAY nicer than anything east of the mississippi.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:11 AM   #155
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Do some more research before buying, man.
You don't have to register it in the state you're buyin it in, at all. ever.
PM me and I'll walk you through my auction experiences. I've only won two, but I've bid on literally hundreds of buses in the last couple years.
Those bus dealers are buying the SAME buses, hosing them off maybe, and selling them for 5-10 times the price. You can cut out the middle man.
My last bus came from Colorado. $1760 out the door on brand new tires, fresh fluids, good batteries, ready to go! Its SUPREME compared to the crap here in FL. Came decked out with everything one could want. VERY little rust, as its the high desert. Western buses are WAY nicer than anything east of the mississippi.

I've been trying to research! Heck, I've been spending more time on this at work than actually doing work recently! Lol. Guess I haven't been looking in the right place. From what I've seen you have to get a temporary title/tag from that state and then drive it down.

But okie dokie, PM on its way!

Old 03-17-2017, 08:32 AM   #156
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
you are "supposed" to get a temp tag in that state.. ands "supposed" to have a CDL till you convert it..

HOWEVER yellow busses marked SCHOOL BUS tend to blend right in with the rest of the real school busses and traffic out there.. as long as you arent driving recklessly or tearin up the world you probably wont even get noticed..

I drove my texas bus around for a few months with all its school insignia on it and no one ever noticed me..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:49 AM   #157
Almost There

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Custom
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: International straight six
Rated Cap: Unknown
kates fish camp in gainesville is fairly cheap very beautiful
Cabinbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:06 AM   #158
Almost There

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Custom
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: International straight six
Rated Cap: Unknown
i just added many pictures of our bus
Cabinbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:19 AM   #159
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
you are "supposed" to get a temp tag in that state.. ands "supposed" to have a CDL till you convert it.
-Christopher
You get proof of insurance and a 30 day temp./transport tag from Florida for $5.00 Florida does not care what state you bought it in or are driving it from.

I am actually on my second temp. tag because I did not finish moving my treasures in 30 days. After that is done it will be parked.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #160
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleO7 View Post
You get proof of insurance and a 30 day temp./transport tag from Florida for $5.00 Florida does not care what state you bought it in or are driving it from.

I am actually on my second temp. tag because I did not finish moving my treasures in 30 days. After that is done it will be parked.
Don't they only issue you a temp tag if you're moving the vehicle TO another state, not FROM another state?