Old 08-04-2016, 11:21 PM   #1

Full-time bus life with kids?

Who else lives in their bus with kids? (bonus points if its full-time or for long periods at a time) Where are you, and what are the laws like for you?

We're newbies, and have 5 young kids. When I initially looked into this we lived in a different state and knew a family with kids who lived full-time in their bus with no problems. We now live in Oregon, just in the very beginning stages of converting our bus, and are just now realizing that laws are different everywhere for skoolie/RV living and I hear its not legal here? (we were planning to live in it full-time for a while, and park on our own rural-ish property, but are told you cant?)

Where exactly does one look for all these kinds of egality things, and what all should I be aware of? I dont want fines or CPS or something stupid called on us because I missed something.
Koops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:24 AM   #2
Bus Nut

You would just have to home school the kids. That's the only issue I can think of.

There is a family of 9 (7 kids) here that converted a skoolie for full-timing. They travel the country for their music ministry.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/go...ject-3840.html
Good News Bus

Good luck!
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:25 AM   #3

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
My family and myself live in Nevada and we live full time in our bus. It is myself, my wife Melissa and our three kids. our oldest goes to public schools and the younger two are not old enough yet. we live in a campground and have not had any problems, in fact there are a couple of other full time families that live in the same campground that have school age children as well. Like you said though maybe it is different in your state. Good luck I hope you find out for sure I know our kids love living in the bus.
luckyhambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:08 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: d466 mechanical
No kids for myself! But, when I graduated HS here in Florida in 2013, I did so by Florida Virtual School. It's a free public high school for residents of Florida. I'm pretty sure the only law to get around in full timing with school age children is being in school. Homeschooling, or I guess you could try to see if a virtual school is in your state! Who knows, many people maintain a Florida address when fulltiming and traveling in their RVs for tax purposes via a mail forwarding address. Maybe that would allow you to be in the school system. Just a thought.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:50 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Take a look at : Bumfuzzle | Live Small, Venture Wide

Pat and Allie are super nice folks that we met some years ago in Puerto Vallarta.

We have followed their blog for 10 years as they:

Sailed around the world.
Drove a VW bus from Alaska to Patagonia and on to tour Europe.
Had two kids in Mexico.
Toured North America in a class A RV full time with kids.

Now they are headed to South America again in a Jeep Wagoneer with their kids.

No Skoolies involved but I think that they would fit in this community just fine.

Lots of good info regarding being a full time family on the road.

Have fun!!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1974
Engine: 432 V6 Slanted 60
Hello there fellow Oregonian, how's it going? We live in Oregon as well and are aiming to go full time as well in our 1974 Bluebird. Currently it's parked at my mother's house while we get it converted over. Trying to have it in livable conditions here within the month. We're located in the Willamette Valley. I haven't heard much fuss about full timing here other then if you are in city limits. If that's the case apparently there's a permit one needs that is only good for 3 months, no extension's or anything else for the remaindering of the yr. We want to buy a chunk of land outskirts of town so that boondocking is a possibility for other skoolies passing thru or for other more permanent situations. What's your bus status?
droppedout74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #7

I have heard that CPS can take your kids if you have no running water. Not sure if it is a Colorado thing or a National issue.

Some of the mountain communities around Colorado people fill water jugs every few days and they feel like they need to use fake addresses to not get their kids taken.
forest is offline   Reply With Quote