Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2017, 08:37 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Full time skooies... what do you do for MEDICAL insurance?

I think I asked this in a thread but I've eaten since then and can't remember... so for full time skoolies that don't have medical insurance thru some telecommute job, what are you doing for MEDICAL insurance? I've seen all kinds of thread about insuring the bus but not about the squishy contents.

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:35 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I simply pay the Dr when I go. My copay was $30 when I had ins. Now its $40 per visit. The cash price and insured price are wildly different, at least where I live.
When I had insurance they only let me go to really crappy Dr's anyways.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:51 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I simply pay the Dr when I go. My copay was $30 when I had ins. Now its $40 per visit. The cash price and insured price are wildly different, at least where I live.
When I had insurance they only let me go to really crappy Dr's anyways.
$40 cash ain't bad but how is that wildly different? What about the Obama fee?
Old 02-14-2017, 09:59 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
$40 cash ain't bad but how is that wildly different? What about the Obama fee?
What fee?
THe penalty for not buying a product at an inflated price? I havent made enough money in the last three fiscal years to have to pay it. Its a horrible tax on the little guy if you ask me.
They vary wildly in that when my uncle went in for an mri he got x price and when they found out he had insurance the price of the procedure went up sharply.
It probably varies from state to state. We have a ton of Dr's here and they love cash patients.
Don't mind me much though- I hate insurance, doctor visits and all of that. I have to be really bad to go get medical attention.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:02 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
What fee?
THe penalty for not buying a product at an inflated price?
Yes, that fee. I didn't realize it was income based. It shouldn't be. If you're below whatever the income is then how do you not qualify for the insurance? Yes, I realize this is applying logic to the government.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
some doctors now offer a cheaper non-insurnace price because its the only way they will likely get paid.. since legally nbo one can be totally refused medical care, if the doctor charges a non insured patient a crazy rate they just wont get paid.. if they charge a reasonable rate.. the chances are the patient will pay them something...

some insurers will force the doctors to use the cheaper prices for them or they drop them from the network...

insurnace is a legalized scam
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:23 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
insurnace is a legalized scam
-Christopher
Totally agree with that especially since I go to the doctor once every 5 yrs or so. If I were to go often enough to "get my money's worth" I'd be a hypochondriac.

The gf had a lump removed from each breast, her mother died of breast cancer, and she has an aunt that was diagnosed and/or died of the same. The gf is scared senseless of going without insurance, And for her it wouldn't make sense. For me, I couldn't give a rat's a$$.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:28 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Yes, that fee. I didn't realize it was income based. It shouldn't be. If you're below whatever the income is then how do you not qualify for the insurance? Yes, I realize this is applying logic to the government.
I don't WANT the insurance.
Christopher pretty much summed up my feelings on it.
My plan is to pay out of pocket until I'm old enough to get medicaid or the socio-economic atmosphere has changed in regards to paying for healthcare.
My mom NEEDS insurance. But her premiums have SKYROCKETED since obamacare.
All my friends that were jazzed about it hate it now that they see how much its costing them.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:36 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
I don't WANT the insurance.
Christopher pretty much summed up my feelings on it.
My plan is to pay out of pocket until I'm old enough to get medicaid or the socio-economic atmosphere has changed in regards to paying for healthcare.
My mom NEEDS insurance. But her premiums have SKYROCKETED since obamacare.
All my friends that were jazzed about it hate it now that they see how much its costing them.
I'm totally with you guys but I don't know what the penalty is. I should look into it more. If's a $500 fee and I'm spending $1500 on premiums then it certainly makes sense to drop it. But if it's the other way around, then cheaper to keep it and not use it.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:46 AM   #10
Bus Geek

insurance definitely has its place.. being a business owner wit ha decent income it makes sense for me to have it... a bad accident or sickness could wipe out my business and financial abilities.. with insurance i can pay the premiums and copays and the big stuff will be handled..

but for many people it doesnt make sense..

im of the mind we should have a single-payer universal (at least catastrophic and base) health care system.. but maybe im the odd man out..

-Christopher
Old 02-14-2017, 11:02 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
im of the mind we should have a single-payer universal (at least catastrophic and base) health care system.. but maybe im the odd man out..

-Christopher
I would be ok with that but the treatment would certainly suffer. Competition is generally a good thing. Even in the medical world.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:20 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
insurance definitely has its place.. being a business owner wit ha decent income it makes sense for me to have it... a bad accident or sickness could wipe out my business and financial abilities.. with insurance i can pay the premiums and copays and the big stuff will be handled..

but for many people it doesnt make sense..

-Christopher
I totally agree.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:51 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
When I was in my 20's and 30's I carried a "catastrophic" plan. If I recall, it cost me approximately two-three hours net wages per month. Coverage would kick in after I was out of pocket $10k.

It was a great deal for a young healthy guy.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
When I was in my 20's and 30's I carried a "catastrophic" plan. If I recall, it cost me approximately two-three hours net wages per month. Coverage would kick in after I was out of pocket $10k.

It was a great deal for a young healthy guy.
I'm guessing you're a crusty young fellow now? Late 40s here and I still don't see the need for more.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:44 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
I'm guessing you're a crusty young fellow now? Late 40s here and I still don't see the need for more.
We are not very far apart. I am just a bit North of 50. My insurance company spent about $40k on me last month. For me, medical insurance went from "I am wasting my money" to "I am SOOO GLAD I have insurance" almost overnight.

I wish you the best of health but do take heed that it can change radically in a short time.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:50 PM   #16
Bus Geek

the BIG thing for me and insurance.. if my business already wasnt enough reason.. but its accidents.. not vehicle accident.. but say im out on my bicyckle and wipe out and break an arm or a leg.. thats not me getting sick but to get the leg fixed is gonna be some real $$$.. hit-N-run vehicle vs pedestrian (me). would end up costing me 10s of 1000s..

all unpredictable things.. to an otherwise healthy guy
-Christopher
Old 02-14-2017, 03:15 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
We are not very far apart. I am just a bit North of 50. My insurance company spent about $40k on me last month. For me, medical insurance went from "I am wasting my money" to "I am SOOO GLAD I have insurance" almost overnight.

I wish you the best of health but do take heed that it can change radically in a short time.
For your case, I think I know me pretty well. Day 1 Something doesn't feel right. Day 2 I shop for insurance. Day 3 I get checked out and find out I have cancer.

Quote:
the BIG thing for me and insurance.. if my business already wasn't enough reason.. but its accidents.. not vehicle accident.. but say I'm out on my bicycle and wipe out and break an arm or a leg.. that's not me getting sick but to get the leg fixed is gonna be some real $$$.. hit-N-run vehicle vs pedestrian (me). would end up costing me 10s of 1000s..

all unpredictable things.. to an otherwise healthy guy
-Christopher
For your case, I want my routine doctor visit (which I never do) to cost me $1,000 out of pocket. When I get hit by a bus, I want it to pick up the entire bill. Chances are I'm not going to get that but set the deductible to $1k, $5k, $10k. Then the consumer can say 5yrs of premiums cost $5k so I'll go with that or I'm going to roll the dice and say I need a policy at $10k.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:30 PM   #18
Skoolie

The penalty for not having medical insurance is up to $5k.
I agree ALL insurance is a scam. Being forced to buy ANYTHING should be illegal.

But... there's always a but, I have had med insurance since I was 18. Reason being, I fell while backwards skating. I went home & went about my way for the rest of the day, all the while laughing because it hurt so much. They thought I broke my wrist but wasn't sure- even after xrays.
They put a cast on it for a month.

Total cost $800. I think back then that would have been almost a years worth of coverage.
BigDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:11 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
If the Feds can FORCE you to buy health insurance from a for profit provider...what is the difference from having them FORCE you to have a Mastercard...What is the difference? Total Bullshit interference from the government!

If these a-holes want to fix the healthcare system...just eliminate the frikken insurance companies entirely and socialize the whole system. Either sh*t or get off the pot!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:02 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
If the Feds can FORCE you to buy health insurance from a for profit provider...what is the difference from having them FORCE you to have a Mastercard...What is the difference? Total Bullshit interference from the government!

If these a-holes want to fix the healthcare system...just eliminate the frikken insurance companies entirely and socialize the whole system. Either sh*t or get off the pot!
That's what lots of us have been sayin!