Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-27-2018, 03:18 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Layton, Utah
Posts: 49
Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran (International)
Chassis: Gensis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 74
Internet??

Who has the best deal on unlimited internet on the road?
Thanks
Rodney
slager55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Posts: 1,924
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Unlimitedville is pretty popular. it's not cheap.
__________________
Keep up with us and our build!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:33 AM   #3
Bus Nut
 
JDOnTheGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: The West
Posts: 869
Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
IMO, "unlimited" is still a ways off. For reasonable coverage, it depends where you plan to be. If way off the beaten path in the west, Verizon is the only game in town. If on the beaten path, quite a few options exist (but, as noted, truly unlimited might still be a unicorn).
__________________
JD - Full timer out west
Missy - 1998 MCI 102-EL3 - 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures & Build
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:30 PM   #4
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,511
Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
if you are brave, you can get onto Howardsforum and buy an old verizon grandfathered unlimited plan.

i got the grandfathered plan through verizon. lots of upfront cost (about $1k), and no guarantee that you'll be cut off, but i only pay $50/month for unlimited, unthrottled verizon. i've used it as my only internet for the last 3-4 years, so its paid off for me. ymmv

upfront, you pay for the line, a 4g dummy phone to ltie to the line, and then a hotspot to move the sim card into.

people that abuse the unlimited, get cut off. as a general rule of thumb they say not to go over 100 gigs. i average 40 gigs month so i feel safe from termination.
__________________
.
Turfmobile Build Thread
turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:20 AM   #5
Almost There
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 71
I used a ZTE Mobley with AT&T service for about a year. I haven't found a better deal and suspect there won't be a better deal.


It was $20/mo on a standalone plan (I don't have AT&T for phone) for unlimited data. The device is about the size of a cell phone, works off 5 VDC or 120 VAC power with an adapter, and works anywhere you can get decent cell service. It's meant for a car (plugs into the OBII port in your car) so that your kids get wifi on the road, but it works just fine for skoolie internet. Not blazing fast, but I was able to stream decent quality video in most places.



The downside is that AT&T discontinued the device almost as soon as it came out. Probably lots of people switched over from their home internet. If you can find a device, they'll still give you the internet deal, but the devices are in high demand and hard to find. They were $99 retail, but now you'll see used ones on eBay for more like $300. I got lucky and found one for $150.
__________________
Professionally converting vehicles and making custom furniture with a combined 14 years of mechanical/electrical engineering experience.

https://www.thunderstruck-studios.com/
ThunderstruckStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:00 AM   #6
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 3,323
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderstruckStudios View Post
I used a ZTE Mobley with AT&T service for about a year. I haven't found a better deal and suspect there won't be a better deal.


It was $20/mo on a standalone plan (I don't have AT&T for phone) for unlimited data. The device is about the size of a cell phone, works off 5 VDC or 120 VAC power with an adapter, and works anywhere you can get decent cell service. It's meant for a car (plugs into the OBII port in your car) so that your kids get wifi on the road, but it works just fine for skoolie internet. Not blazing fast, but I was able to stream decent quality video in most places.



The downside is that AT&T discontinued the device almost as soon as it came out. Probably lots of people switched over from their home internet. If you can find a device, they'll still give you the internet deal, but the devices are in high demand and hard to find. They were $99 retail, but now you'll see used ones on eBay for more like $300. I got lucky and found one for $150.
Have you found them to throttle your bandwidth if you exceed 22 GB in a month?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:06 PM   #7
Almost There
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Have you found them to throttle your bandwidth if you exceed 22 GB in a month?
I read about that, but never experienced it. I had the experience of consistent, "acceptable" speeds.
__________________
Professionally converting vehicles and making custom furniture with a combined 14 years of mechanical/electrical engineering experience.

https://www.thunderstruck-studios.com/
ThunderstruckStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:22 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 3,323
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderstruckStudios View Post
I read about that, but never experienced it. I had the experience of consistent, "acceptable" speeds.
Ok. I just pulled the trigger on one. The gent I got it from claims NO throttling but I was skeptical and I am a cord cutter. No cable or satellite. Any TV I watch is over the Internet.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:37 PM   #9
Almost There
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Ok. I just pulled the trigger on one. The gent I got it from claims NO throttling but I was skeptical and I am a cord cutter. No cable or satellite. Any TV I watch is over the Internet.
It seems silly to pay for cable/satellite these days IMHO.

When you go to set it up with AT&T, the plan you want is "connected car". I went through about 4 employees in the store and over the phone before I found someone that believed me that the plan even existed
__________________
Professionally converting vehicles and making custom furniture with a combined 14 years of mechanical/electrical engineering experience.

https://www.thunderstruck-studios.com/
ThunderstruckStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:19 PM   #10
Bus Crazy
 
milkmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oklahoma aka "God's blind spot"
Posts: 2,307
Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
I get this regularly with my ATT Hombase... (installed October 2017)

Quote:
9/17/2018
ATT Free Msg: Your data use this month has reached 16.5GB.

If you exceed 22GB before your next cycle on10/15/2018,
you can still use unlimited data however your speeds may be reduced in areas with network congestion.

Wi-Fi helps avoid reduced speeds.
Visit att.com/datainfo or call 866.344.7584 for more info.
But, they reduce me from 80mbps to about 12-13mbps.
still quite usable and very stable!

notice, my cycle?
in 2 days, I used 16.5gb
__________________
I once complained I had no shoes....
Until I met a man with no feet
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.