Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2016, 07:04 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
That's because Mini-Skoolie represents the number of replys you've made on threads here. It changes automatically.
ohhh, lol well then i guess i talk a little lol

Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:04 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Chevy P-30
Engine: Chevy 454 Big Block
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuleslight View Post
ok, i am a mead enthusiast, and i wanted to start making my own. However the process takes months for proper fermentation.
It takes 2-3 years to produce a quality mead

Quote:
Is it illegal to cross state lines with home made mead, for private consumption and not resale? Or do i have to complete the process bottle the mead and store it before i can cross state lines?
In the United States, you are allowed to produce 100 Gallons of wine per member of legal drinking age per household, see: https://www.ttb.gov/wine/24_75.htm

Mead ferments VERY SLOWLY. You will have a 2-6 month primary fermentation period, following by racking off the leys and a secondary period of 6-12 months. This is also when you are trying to knock yeast out of suspension and have them settle out on the bottom. Agitation will give you a muddy liquid, so driving around with a fermenter can be very messy. Bottle bombs are an issue if you do not deactivate the yeast.

Your other biggest adversary is sunlight and temperature. Yeast are fungi and do not like UV radiation. Brewing, wine, and champagne yeast like temperatures ranging from 55-78 F. That being said, I just finished off five gallons that had been riding with me for six months over Christmas.

If you do decide to ferment in your bus, it WILL smell like alcohol. A LOT! Keep that in mind if you have a tail light out or forget to use your turn signal.

Build yourself a small setup and try making a batch on solid ground first to see if it is for you first. I travel and brew with friends, so that next time I come around, we have something to drink during our visit and brewing together is a fun and community building exercise that gives everyone something to look forward to. Plus, it is really cool to have brew caches all over the country, primed and ready for your enjoyment!

I am a retired, professional craft brewer, so if anyone has any questions, I would be more than happy to help out!
mightymainermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:20 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Distilling is where the real fun is.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:52 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymainermite View Post

In the United States, you are allowed to produce 100 Gallons of wine per member of legal drinking age per household, see: https://www.ttb.gov/wine/24_75.htm

Mead ferments VERY SLOWLY. You will have a 2-6 month primary fermentation period, following by racking off the leys and a secondary period of 6-12 months. This is also when you are trying to knock yeast out of suspension and have them settle out on the bottom. Agitation will give you a muddy liquid, so driving around with a fermenter can be very messy. Bottle bombs are an issue if you do not deactivate the yeast.

Your other biggest adversary is sunlight and temperature. Yeast are fungi and do not like UV radiation. Brewing, wine, and champagne yeast like temperatures ranging from 55-78 F. That being said, I just finished off five gallons that had been riding with me for six months over Christmas.

If you do decide to ferment in your bus, it WILL smell like alcohol. A LOT! Keep that in mind if you have a tail light out or forget to use your turn signal.

Build yourself a small setup and try making a batch on solid ground first to see if it is for you first. I travel and brew with friends, so that next time I come around, we have something to drink during our visit and brewing together is a fun and community building exercise that gives everyone something to look forward to. Plus, it is really cool to have brew caches all over the country, primed and ready for your enjoyment!

I am a retired, professional craft brewer, so if anyone has any questions, I would be more than happy to help out!
I have a non meade question; How's the 454 big block ?!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:50 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

I replaced the spark plugs and wires, but the battery is toast, so I haven't been able to see if she's back in the game yet ( I think cylinders 1 and 5 were misfiring ). I am trying to set up a mission to get back to my bus; I have a pretty good window before harvest time to make it happen, just trying find an affordable, reliable ride from Maine to Bryson City, NC.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:04 AM   #26
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymainermite View Post

I will 100% be asking questions lol...like #1 where is the best place to get clean and cheaper equipment?
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:42 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I wouldn't know anything about that.....
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:17 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
I wouldn't know anything about that.....
Nor would I, but I've heard reflux columns is where it's at...
Old 06-18-2016, 10:37 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I will 100% be asking questions lol...like #1 where is the best place to get clean and cheaper equipment?
To be honest with you, that all depends on many variables. Are you just going to be making mead? How much, how often? Are you going to use glass carboys, plastic water jugs, kegs, or even barrels? A homebrew store is probably the LAST place that you will want to spend your money. The internet offers gear for prices that brick and mortars cannot complete with!

A good way to get equipment is to have a buddy working in the industry, not only do they get trade discounts, but they also have access to used equipment from breweries all over the continent. The craft brewing industry is a pretty close, tight-knit collective and there is a lot of inventory that gets handed down when a brewery makes an upgrade or, heaven forbid, goes out of business.

A lot of the fun of being a home brewer, is the challenge of home brewing your own equipment. You can upcycle and repurpose, or fabricate a lot of your system with stuff from the hardware store and save a lot of money in the process. Right now, at the LHBS (local home brew store) here in Portland (ME), there are offering for a sale a 10 Gallon Mash Tun for $220!! That's highway robbery for a ($45 @ the orange depot) 40qt. Igloo cooler, a $25 false bottom, and another $20 for a stainless steel ball valve, and you it doesn't even require power tools to assemble!

As far as "clean" is concerned, you are going to be cleaning and sanitizing your equipment religiously, so it doesn't really matter. Stuff like hoses and lines will need to be replaced and should always be bought new. If you have a 10Bbl stainless steel bright tank, then I would be concerned about the seams and crappy welding jobs leaving pock-marked surfaces and pits for bacteria to entrenched itself in.

In your case, let us say that you are just going to be doing a couple 5 Gallon batches a year, equipment wise you are going to be in the market for:

- 28-40qt stainless Kettle (a giant stock pot)

- A giant stainless, stirring Spoon (used only for brewing, never for food or anything else!)

- Oversized funnel

- Maybe a Chiller of some type, although you can get by with using an ice bath, not recommended, but works for beginners

- Thermometer(s)

- Glass or Food-grade Plastic Carboy(s)

- Airlock and Stopper

- Bottles, Corks or Caps, Corker or Capper, Siphon, Tubing/Hoses, etc.

- PBW (You can make this yourself for a fraction of the cost; I can give you my own personal recipe)

- No-rinse Sanitizer (I wouldn't use anything but this at home. This is where have a guy on the inside really helps; this stuff is an expensive, but very necessary evil.)

If you have the ingredients (Honey, Water, and Yeast) you could probably start tomorrow and have an awesome, homemade beverage ready within a year. I mean, the Vikings did a heck of a job with far less equipment and know-how!
Again, I am here to help with any questions that you come up with, so don't be shy! I wish I had had someone like me to help when I got started ;)
Old 06-19-2016, 06:01 AM   #30
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:
do you prefer a mash or a wash, whats your grain base.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:06 AM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:
Nor would I, but I've heard reflux columns is where it's at...
only if your making vodka or gin, moonshine is made from double distilling, boiler-thumper-condenser= damm good shine
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:52 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
do you prefer a mash or a wash, whats your grain base.
Mash.
Sugar, water, corn, yeast. Regular red star yeast. Fermented about 5-7 days in a sealed, vented rubbermaid can.
Simple n tasty when done JUST RIGHT. The wash always ends up too "hot" and chemically tasting.

Or so I've been told...

Tags
alcohol, crossing state lines, mead