Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-31-2016, 04:33 PM   #1
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: chicago, il
Posts: 220
Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
odd question

ok, i am a mead enthusiast, and i wanted to start making my own. However the process takes months for proper fermentation. Is it illegal to cross state lines with home made mead, for private consumption and not resale? Or do i have to complete the process bottle the mead and store it before i can cross state lines?
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:37 PM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,402
Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison 545
Rated Cap: 2
that is a crazy question and this is only a guess.

i think that Americans still have enough privacy to do what you want to in your own vehicle not to be subject to an unreasonable search. ferment away!

the only way you would run into trouble is if you sold your product.
__________________
.
Turfmobile Build Thread
turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:49 PM   #3
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 4,964
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
Or if a cop stopped you and found how many gallons of mead in your car?

No it's not illegal unless you're using a tanker truck, which would obviously be for commercial purposes. Kegging is pretty nice for transporting any volume of beverage. Bottling is to labor intensive in home brewing in my opinion.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:52 PM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Kansas
Posts: 492
Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
the only way you would run into trouble is if you sold your product.
This is the way I see it... Then again my family is from Georgia and used to drive very fast cars with crates of mason jars containing questionable clear liquid for a living...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:26 PM   #5
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: chicago, il
Posts: 220
Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
This is the way I see it... Then again my family is from Georgia and used to drive very fast cars with crates of mason jars containing questionable clear liquid for a living...
I meant in my schoolie/RV... i have a civic i cannot hold that much mead..i should have mentioned that part lol
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:43 PM   #6
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,176
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
I know someone who makes their own alcohol in a bus.
IDK about the legality, but if you're not selling it or advertising what you're doing, I'd say go for it. Controlling the temps is crucial, as you well know I'm sure.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:46 PM   #7
Bus Crazy
 
Stu & Filo. T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vacaville, Ca
Posts: 1,521
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Never ever consent to a search !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And record all interaction with Law Enforcement
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:58 PM   #8
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,402
Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison 545
Rated Cap: 2
haha a tanker!!!

that would rock. you could "bee" Johnny Applemead !!

__________________
.
Turfmobile Build Thread
turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:46 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 4,964
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuleslight View Post
I meant in my schoolie/RV... i have a civic i cannot hold that much mead..i should have mentioned that part lol
Exactly how many gallons do you need to carry in your bus?

Actually freezers with an additional temp control switch, that you may have heard about people using, can be used as a chest type refrigerators. Beer and mead have been made in warmer climates using this type of chest freezer large enough to hold the carboy while fermentation takes place. It's possible on a bus, but you'd need a relatively steady power supply to maintain the proper temperatures for long periods of time during fermentation. It's possible, but not very practical.

You could go old school and make lagers in the fall and ales in the spring as temps change. I've never made mead so I'm unfamiliar with it's fermentation temps. If you moved your bus during fermentation it might affect the flavor in the end. I guess you got to try it to know for sure. You could effectively do the whole process in kegs. Two five gallon kegs in constant rotation should be enough, or you can start using 55 gallon plastic drums.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:06 PM   #10
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: chicago, il
Posts: 220
Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Exactly how many gallons do you need to carry in your bus?

Actually freezers with an additional temp control switch, that you may have heard about people using, can be used as a chest type refrigerators. Beer and mead have been made in warmer climates using this type of chest freezer large enough to hold the carboy while fermentation takes place. It's possible on a bus, but you'd need a relatively steady power supply to maintain the proper temperatures for long periods of time during fermentation. It's possible, but not very practical.

You could go old school and make lagers in the fall and ales in the spring as temps change. I've never made mead so I'm unfamiliar with it's fermentation temps. If you moved your bus during fermentation it might affect the flavor in the end. I guess you got to try it to know for sure. You could effectively do the whole process in kegs. Two five gallon kegs in constant rotation should be enough, or you can start using 55 gallon plastic drums.
well the mead container holds 50 gallons, but we all know not all of that will be useable. I have already purchased 50 mead/wine bottles and plan to fill those over and over sterilizing them each time.

Actually the recipe i have calls for dark and room temperature (70 degrees) surprisingly. Oh, I was thinking a single batch at a time and then storage and eventual consumption after bottling. I am easily pleased, but making smaller test batches eventually makes sense. however, that is after i get the initial recipe down pat while being fermented on a schoolie comes first lol,
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alcohol, crossing state lines, mead

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.