Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Recipe Link: Cheesecake in a Jar

If you don't like cheesecake then ignore this... If you do like cheesecake yet think it's a hassle to make, then read on...

I had this in my email from King Arthur Flour today. They have great recipes on their site. This Brooklyn Style Baked Cheesecake is baked in 1/2 pint (8 oz) canning jars in a slow cooker. No heating up the bus with the oven! No leaky springform pan! I can get rid of mine! The recipe makes 7 jars and a "tip" box says you can cook any baked cheesecake recipe like this! I've got a really old New York style cheesecake recipe from a really old New Yorker neighbour that makes the best cheesecake I've ever eaten... except when my Mom made it. It may be the same recipe. Anyway, the cheesecakes in this recipe will store in the refrigerator for up to a week. You should be able to store them longer in the freezer... I doubt mine will make it into the freezer. I love baked cheesecake. That's one per day. As any lover of cheesecake knows, that's 7 breakfasts! The blog mentions some folks using the 4 oz jars (shorter cooking time). That is what my waist line would prefer. Don't forget to click on the link that takes you to the recipe's blog. It will give you lots of tips on how to pull this off. Also gotta make some as... INDIVIDUAL TURTLE CHEESECAKES!!!!!

Crockpot Cheesecake in a Jar

There are lots of other recipes that use the "bain marie" method that you can use in the crockpot. Like yummy egg custard, mousse, creme brulee. I think it may be prudent to place the jars in a dry crock liner to see how many will fit in your crockpot.

Canning jars are pretty tough. If you travel a bit, the jars should hold up with minimal breakage if you are mildly careful with them (put them on a cushioned shelf liner is all I ever did). I kept canning jars in our popup to use as drinking glasses and food storage containers. The flat lids were handy if you needed to "travel" with your jar of iced tea and the flat lid was good to set on top to keep the yellow jackets and bees out of the sweet tea. The jars bounced many miles, over both short and long distances for many years without breaking from traveling. Dropping on concrete pads is another thing all together. You can buy one piece plastic lids in regular and wide mouth to fit the canning jars as well. I've seen them at most every Wal-Mart we've been it. Summer is the best time to buy canning jars and lids. Sometimes you can get a pretty good amount for a low price at yard sales, particularly moving sales. That is where I got most of mine... and then when we "downsized" in to a couple storage units, I donated the jars to several thrift store (except my antique jars which I kept to store dry stuff in).

Next paycheck, I'm buying some canning jars! I need some widemouth half gallon jars to store my flours, etc in... but that's an online/deliver to store purchase.

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Cheesecake in a Jar

This is what we use....clean old socks perfect for canning jars

bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Re: Cheesecake in a Jar

Made the Cheesecake in a Jar in the crockpot. I'm not sharing.

This is what I did...
I bought a dozen of the Mainstay half pint jars from Wal-Mart. Spent a whopping $6.62 for them. Discovered they also have 3 (6 ct) boxes of the wide mouth half gallon jars in stock. I need to get them bought. Brought the jars home and washed them along with the flat lids and rings. While the jars were drying, I set the cream cheese and eggs out on the counter to come to room temp.

I often use the "grams" amounts for recipes. I do that because I just sit the mixing bowl on the scale and keep zeroing it out as needed (less measuring stuff to wash). Normally I weigh the amount of batter in grams, divide by how many servings then use those amounts. Because I wasn't sure how much this would make, I only measured the amount needed to fill each jar to 3/4 full (130 grams) like the recipe said. Next time I will divide the batter weight by 12. It should work out to roughly 121 grams. But this was the first time I made the recipe so I try to stick close to the recipe the first time.

I weighed out 142 grams of graham cracker (Great Value Honey Graham) into a zipper seal plastic baggie. Then I used an empty canning jar to crush the crackers into fine crumbs. Then I added the tablespoon of sugar to the cracker crumbs. I do have a little bit of cracker crumbs left over. I placed 11 grams of cracker crumbs in the bottom of each jar. I did not "press down lightly" on the crumbs. I can't see why since the crumbs are very loose and dry.

I followed the directions for mixing together the cheese mixture. I did use 9 tablespoons dry milk powder to 3/4 cup water to make "cream". I rarely buy milk or cream.

To fill the jars with batter (130 grams) I used a canning jar funnel that I have. It helps to keep the jar sides cleaner.

My newer crock pot holds 4 jars. My older crock pot I might be able to get 3 jars in. Both are oval liners. I suggest you "dry fit" the jars before you start filling them up. I made up each batch as I cooked them, storing the batter in the refrigerator. I didn't want to prefill all the jars because I didn't know if that would make the crumbs in the bottom too soggy.

To fill the water, I used a funnel and filled the water to level with the cheesecake batter in the jars. I cooked my jars for 1.5 hours. I promptly removed the jars with some silicone tipped tongs and a pot holder. I placed the jars on a folded up towel to drain and cool. I think I need to buy a canning jar lifter. I "dropped" one of the cheesecakes on the towel. Nothing broke but the cheese cake broke up a little. I will have to eat that one. Once I removed the jars to the towel, I filled up another 4 jars and immediately placed in the water. I did need to add more water to the crockpot with each subsequent batch.

So I ended up with 11 jars of cheesecake with 130 grams of filling. One jar had only 30 grams of cheesecake batter in it. I'll have to eat that one too. My packages of cream cheese weighed slightly short too. I don't know how short since I didn't write that down. And then there was one of the first ones I cooked that I had to eat. It was to make sure the cooking time was right (1 hour 45 minutes). It wasn't but it was still tasty.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Re: Recipe Link: Cheesecake in a Jar

we use these about $10

I dropped a jar of salsa about 3 feet onto counter.......mmmmmmmmm..wifey said "honey use these" oops, that made a mess
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
Bus Geek

I had a set of those. Lost them in one of our many moves. My great grandmother (who moved a lot) used to say that two house movings was a good as one house fire when it comes to "lost" items. She was right. We lost everything in a fire once and we have moved at least 11 times before going fulltime in an RV (does not include the time we were fulltiming in the pop-up). I have bought so many of those jar lifters. I just don't have one now. They are very good to have if you cook in canning jars too.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #6

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

That looks awesome!

You Gotta Let Me Fly