Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2018, 12:39 PM   #21

Yeah, we've just begun, but people have been... weird about it. Constantly having to justify/explain our decision and answer A LOT of questions. I feel like if we were like, we're just buying a premade RV, everyone would accept it more easily, but the idea of driving around in a bus is just something they can't get over. That said, we're not really concerned with what other people think, this is something we're really excited to do and that's all that matters!

3cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:11 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
For decades, the only way into the RV lifestyle was to spend tens, even hundreds of thousands of dollars.

It made the whole enterprise one for the wealthy, and I am detecting a little displeasure that people of more modest means have found a way to "join in".

Must be very hard for the owners of a million dollar Prevost to see a happy family in a Skoolie enjoying doing exactly what they are doing.

I'm fresh out of sympathy.
That might be the greatest opinion I've read on this forum!
Whatthefak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:17 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cats View Post
Yeah, we've just begun, but people have been... weird about it. Constantly having to justify/explain our decision and answer A LOT of questions. I feel like if we were like, we're just buying a premade RV, everyone would accept it more easily, but the idea of driving around in a bus is just something they can't get over. That said, we're not really concerned with what other people think, this is something we're really excited to do and that's all that matters!
My family is ok, I have an uncle who has been living in a 34" sail boat for alot of years. He uses the money he doesn't spend in morgage taxes and HOA to travel internationally

The people at work all think im crazy, but I'm in an ultra conservative part of the Midwest and think they are all nuts
Old 05-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
My mom was the biggest deterrent to my bus ownership when I was younger. Even in my 30's she still had "bus hate" real bad. After seeing our shorty and how nice Sandi and all our "bus friends" have been- I'm proud to say my mom has sorta come around to realize how COOL owning a school bus really can be.

Her RV gets 5mpg on the highway. My bus gets over ten mpg.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:02 PM   #25
Bus Nut

It will probably also hold up better in case of an accident
Old 05-10-2018, 02:02 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
As I struggle with some personal issues in my life such as depression, my family have been very supportive as I now have a hobby and some sort of goal. I use to be an avid outdoorsman, but didn't go camping once last year (except elk hunting). my neighbors are all extremely curious about it, even got some random guy pull up and say that this was his dream too. Guy at DMV loved the idea, all these positive vibes are helpful. Kids love helping dad, wife likes it, but will have nothing to do with the build (which is fine by me).

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:16 PM   #27
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
One thing i have learned is regardless of other people you have to live for you and nobody else.
Tryonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:27 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
One thing i noticed, is most of the people who questioned it completely shut their mouth when they saw i had it gutted and started building stuff. All they could say then was Wow, it doesn't even look like a bus. I can see it now. The idea grows on people, and when they see the effort I have put it in, realizing I'm not just throwing a futon in a bus, they change their opinions. Everyone is pretty excited about it now, I get asked by coworkers at both jobs about it on the regular now.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #29
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 65?
My mother pretends not to like the idea or be curious about it. Then she's all like, "its gonna have a bathroom?...That looks like a vent fan, what is that?" She said she didn't approve of my first motorcycle either but some time later complained I never took her for a ride.

I make it a point to tell her whenever I talk to passers by about it. Everyone in the neighborhood loves it and tell me they are excited to see it once its finished.

Only unsupportives/haters I encountered was zoning.
Stuntmanmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:53 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntmanmitch View Post
My mother pretends not to like the idea or be curious about it. Then she's all like, "its gonna have a bathroom?...That looks like a vent fan, what is that?" She said she didn't approve of my first motorcycle either but some time later complained I never took her for a ride.

I make it a point to tell her whenever I talk to passers by about it. Everyone in the neighborhood loves it and tell me they are excited to see it once its finished.

Only unsupportives/haters I encountered was zoning.
I've already have to promise about 100 rides once its done
Old 05-10-2018, 05:57 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhwick119 View Post
"You want a ride, make yourself available to work on it."
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #32
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 65?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhwick119

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
"You want a ride, make yourself available to work on it."
HAHAHAHA I know right...the hard part is done!
Stuntmanmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:16 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cats View Post

I've actually been told that by an uncle! why didnt you just buy an RV? and the long list of people asking if you need a CDL to drive and then explaining you dont and getting weird looks like...yeah alright.... Irrelevant to me know as i have a cdl, so it's quite nice to say no you dont, but i have it anyways, f*** off. lol.
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:29 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Engine: T444E 7.3L
In my case EVERYONE was pretty excited about my bus conversion project except my boss. He is an RV guy and has a very expensive Freightliner motor home. His RV has been to the dealer for repairs several times and we had to do some repairs to his coach.

He does not comprehend my off-grid, solar and electrical system at all and don't understand the simplicity of my bus build. I recently drove it to work and about 15 customers, friends, etc wanted to check out my bus. He NEVER had people lining up to see his motor home.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:33 PM   #35
Bus Nut

No joke, the pizza hut delivery guy just asked me about the bus i was thinking about buying when I saw him a few months ago. Gave him an update and he told me he's been looking at conversions
Old 08-15-2018, 08:47 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
So far everyone who has asked thought it was a fantastic idea, but my gf hates it..but she is coming around..lol
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:14 PM   #37
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
I am converting my bus for extended ski trips in the winter and weekend camping in the summer. My wife hated the idea at first and I don't think she is in love with it yet ...but she did make the 10 hour trip with me to pick up the bus. I think once the build is under way she'll come around. My two year old son thinks its the coolest thing ever as do all of my friends.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:34 AM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird All American
Chassis: AA RE 3903
Engine: 8.3L Cummins Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 36200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamabird34 View Post
Did anyone else's family and friends completely freak out over your decision to live this lifestyle? Maybe its just because we have children? Feeling like its making it hard to be excited for this new adventure when we are constantly having to defend our decision.
In the beginning my family did think I was nuts, but after I explained to them why I was pursuing this, they warmed up to the idea. They even get involved in drawing out floor plans with me as well as looking at pictures of interiors, discuss storage ideas, have conversations about off-grid living, etc. It has been a lot of fun so far and I am ever so blessed and grateful that they are so supportive. I actually bet my mom will want to convert one, herself, after she sees what can be done and that I could do it.

However, I do have a few distant relatives and friends who think I am nuts. I do have kids, am a single mom so maybe some of them don't like the idea that I would be dragging my kids along on my "crazy" adventure. That is understandable to a point, but it's also arguable that the reason I am doing this is to ensure they always have a roof over their heads and everything else they need along with going on this "crazy" adventure!

God forbid my kids actually learn some life skills in the process, right???

Not only that, there are a lot worse things I could be doing to my kids besides traveling the country.

I joke that this is my mid-life crisis all the time. It makes me .
Mom2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:16 AM   #39
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas / international
Engine: Dt 360/ spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 42
They look at us and think we are crazy. We look at them and know that they are crazy! We just want something better
SolomonEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:32 AM   #40
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
You think your family flipped out over a bus, try building a couple of different experimental aircraft. Past that phase now and have a Piper Cherokee and no one even raised an eyebrow to the bus.
It will be a lot more work than you ever thought and all the equipment and tools you need to buy and skillsets that you might not have that need to be learned etc. etc.
But the biggest return on your investment of Time, Labor and Cash is the Pride of Accomplishment.

My feeling is that is what makes it worth the price of admission. .
No competent adult needs someone else to make decisions for them and decide how you should live your life to meet their approval.
My wife might slightly disagree with that statement
Eric Cartman would not
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote