Old 02-15-2018, 06:30 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-t Liner
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 71
Unsupportive family/friends

Did anyone else's family and friends completely freak out over your decision to live this lifestyle? Maybe its just because we have children? Feeling like its making it hard to be excited for this new adventure when we are constantly having to defend our decision.
Mamabird34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:03 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
No,mam.
My mom and dad raised there children to camp.
My wife and children were already used to tent camping through scouting and wanted a little better when we camped as a family.
The only advice I have is I built a family camper that did its job well for the years we have used it.
My issue now is that I built permanent beds/structures for my children and now they are heading to college.
Now I have to figure out how(more momma room) to repurpose under bead storage over the wheel wells and over bead storage that is still needed but once again I have to deal with the wheel wells.
I built permanent structurally for traveling for my kids beds in that area?
At least I know where every bolt,nut,screw is?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:08 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
My youngest brother did. Following my father's death, I took my share and purchased Brunhilde. Said brother said that he was going to find me a mobile home for $20K. In this neck of the woods, $20K won't get you a cracker box. At least Brunhilde hasn't lost me anything except time. And, as an added attraction, if I decide to move, all I have to do is turn the key
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:18 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Capt. squid.Keep her/him running
If you do need to run I can get you a decent spot with no worries.
No Amenities? But I can get you a dump spot and water if you have tanks.
He is a submariner and a real good friend.
And then some good spots with all hookups but 17$ a day and move in 17 days but you just gotta change spots .
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:27 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamabird34 View Post
Did anyone else's family and friends completely freak out over your decision to live this lifestyle? Maybe its just because we have children? Feeling like its making it hard to be excited for this new adventure when we are constantly having to defend our decision.

If people who truly love you have a concern you owe it to them to listen to them and hear them out. If they have a point of valid concern maybe youíre better off to have addressed them. If you think theyíre wrong after listening you can use that as fuel to motivate you.

I think some people avoid doing things like this because they canít put their finger on it but theyíre pretty sure there is a catch.

Having been a fair distance down the path I can tell you it is a lot of work and it is genuinely a difficult task to do well. That doesnít mean itís not worth doing.

At the end of the day youíre the one who will have to live with your choices. And while it is nice to have peopleís approval ultimately thatís not whatís going to determine whether or not it was the right choice. Some might say it better to play it safe. Some might say itís better not to live in regret of not knowing what wouldíve happened if you tried something crazy.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:24 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
my dad "forbid!" me from ever owning a school bus .. that eventually made me want one even more... so much that i have 2 and an eye on a 3rd..

some people seem to think all others must conform to society's "supposed perfect life"... do what you enjoy.. its your life and not theirs.. and chances are they are jealous because you are embarking on living a dream and they dont have the guts to live their own dreams..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:40 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamabird34 View Post
If there's a strong family bond they will probably just shake their head and say, "whatever floats your boat"...fix it up and when they are crying their mortgage you can cry about your weak-ass tranny while sitting in your mortgage-less bus...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:51 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
My family think it's a great idea.

What has surprised me the most is that folk at work, my school and Jodie's, have really taken a shine to the project and wished they had either the skills or determination to do it themselves.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:43 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Most Americans seem to want to escape "the system" these days so I can see how Skoolies would fit into lots of folks whole gypsy, run-a-way and join the circus fantasy.

But I guess it's really nothing new...

"Tune in, turn on, drop out."
---
Timothy Leary, 1966
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:06 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Most Americans seem to want to escape "the system" these days so I can see how Skoolies would fit into lots of folks whole gypsy, run-a-way and join the circus fantasy.

But I guess it's really nothing new...

"Tune in, turn on, drop out."
---
Timothy Leary, 1966
For decades, the only way into the RV lifestyle was to spend tens, even hundreds of thousands of dollars.

It made the whole enterprise one for the wealthy, and I am detecting a little displeasure that people of more modest means have found a way to "join in".

Must be very hard for the owners of a million dollar Prevost to see a happy family in a Skoolie enjoying doing exactly what they are doing.

I'm fresh out of sympathy.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote