Old 01-09-2005, 07:09 PM   #21
I'm a 3rd year mechanical engineering student at the Unviersity of South FLorida. Our club at school SAE builds and races offroad buggies and open wheeled formula type cars. THen we compete against other colleges around the world. We traveled 15000 miles last year in a 15 passenger van. This year we will do the same but in a 37' flat nose international. Private sponsors donated it to us and materials to convert it. I built the kitchen and bathroom today. Ill post pictures soon.

Ive had my own plans and aspirations for a school bus for a long time. I'll learn enough while building this one for school to make my future bus that much better.

But for the mean time i get my fix from my 68 duece and half.
Nicholas Frey
Transportation Chairman
Society of Automotive Engineers
University of South Florida

The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight.
-Theodore Roosevelt
frey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:38 PM   #22
Almost There
Send a message via MSN to glock17
I'm a network administrator for an internet service providor. Linux admin mostly.
glock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:41 PM   #23
Almost There
Send a message via MSN to glock17
Originally Posted by Steve
Right now I am working as a Mechanical Engineer at a precision agricultural company, but maybe in Jan. I will be going back to school (Iowa State University) for a while.
If you work where i think you do, you make a pretty cool product. I helped my dad install one of those systems on his combine a few years ago. The combine was lost in a fire so we now have a new combine with a whole system in the box waiting for a rainy weekend to install it.
glock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:10 AM   #24
Just a dishwasher for now (burned out on the cooking side) and liveing in Washington state (also for now)..soon (month or so ) moveing back to CO (raised) and go back into management (resturant)..Just the wife and one kid and soon a very ugly bus...
Granddad and dad both have done buses before so I guessed it was my time.
Demonknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 02:55 PM   #25
I'm a young 26 year-old HVAC Engineer working and living in British Columbia, Canada. Really involved in the whole green building thing, lots of energy simulations to determine best scenarios to build an energy efficient building.

Been wanting to convert a school bus since I was 16 years old. I just dreamt it up some day and later found out others were doing it. After University in Montreal (where I'm from), 3 other buddies and I converted a Dodge 22' Motorhome with solar panels, woodstove, etc, etc . We called it the ChillMobil. Travelled 10 months all over BC (skiing), the US West Coast (climbing) and Baja Mexico (surfing). That's when I realized I needed to live in BC.

Dreaming of converting my first Bus soon though (maybe 6-7 years), and it will be complete with radiant floor heating. I've actually been doing a lot of radiant floor heating lately and am tweaking the system for a self-sustained bus. If anybody interested, I'd love to write a post with some schematics.

Cheers everyone, good to see such diversity in everyone's occupations!
chillmobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 02:18 AM   #26
Re: what do you "do"?

Originally Posted by wonderkaty
hello again y'all,
I was sitting there today, in my overly stiffling, hopefully temporary cubicle and I started wondering what you all "do" for a living. I am imagining there is a pretty diverse base of people out there.... does anyone actually drive a bus with kids to school?

I'll start: I myself am a recent college graduate (how long can I claim being a graduate as my "profession"?) and am temping, as said above, in an office. doing data entry.... ALL DAY. I aspire to do something creative and outdoorsy someday. either that, or marry rich. a girl has got to dream.
UPDATE: I have removed myself from the over stiffling cubicle and am currently full time nannying for a 4 year old. glad to hang out with cool people and happy to no longer have to make staple chains to amuse myself during lunch breaks. still hoping to find a "profession" and am still open to marriage proposals from men named brad pitt.
wonderkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 04:52 PM   #27
Almost There
Send a message via Yahoo to TravelingMan
OTR truck driver until I had some major heart problems 4 years back now I have a hole lot of time on my hands and want to get back out and see the country at a much slower pace.
"I'm a man of means by no means King of the road"
TravelingMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 09:11 AM   #28
Send a message via Yahoo to stego
Originally Posted by Pablo
I work nights for an Internet hosting company. Basically I babysit a data center full of Windows servers and change their diapers when they crap.
Well - that should keep you plenty busy!
I'm curious about the "cow level" - care to explain?

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Albert Einstein
stego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 04:50 PM   #29
Bus Crazy
Send a message via AIM to Steve
The "Cow Level" was a rumor that people started about being in the computer game Diablo by Blizzard makers of Warcraft. They actually put a secret cow level in the sequal, Diablo II. The term "there is no cow level" was then used by Blizzard as a cheat code you could type in the game Starcraft which would automatically give you a win on the level you were playing.
View my 1972 Ward: Topic from the Build : The Picture Gallery
View my 1986 Blue Bird: Topic from the Build : The Picture Gallery
View my 1960 GMC: Topic from the Build : The Picture Gallery
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 08:17 PM   #30
Bus Nut
Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Now I'm a student.

I'm not just a househusband anymore. I'm a full-time student at USC Upstate (THE USC - South Carolina) in Spartanburg, South Carolina. I think I'm going to have to put my bus dreams on hold, as I'm still unemployed otherwise.
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote