Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #101
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
308 was "Whitewing's" round of choice too.

Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:54 AM   #102
Skoolie

Year: 97
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: BadMuthaFuka
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: All of us
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Strange that on a school bus conversion site, hippies like myself are in the minority!
im certainly a hippie.
just well armed.
45 auto, pump 12, ak under folder in case hate just keeps coming.
jammin to Jerry
Old 04-26-2016, 12:19 PM   #103
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Well armed hippies? I doubt you guys are very dirty.

I don't have room for a gun safe in a bus so my Python is in a drawer under my chuds. How would you keep a rifle or shotgun out of sight in a bus?
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:07 PM   #104
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
How would you keep a rifle or shotgun out of sight in a bus?
I've been thinking about this when I finally do my build. I want to build in several safes for both pistols and rifles (as well as valuables). I'm thinking a normal sheet steel rifle safety locker built into a wall, a floor cutout or a piece of furniture will work well (the kind you can buy from Dicks Sporting Goods and other stores). It is light enough to handle easily to get it in place, but can be bolted or welded into place and "integrated" into the build to hide it.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:46 PM   #105
Skoolie

Year: 97
Chassis: BadMuthaFuka
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: All of us
have to build a lock boxes.
me, im a clean hippie

robin make sure you never get pulled over with it out of sight unless its in locked box. mucho trouble in wrong states. In oregon you cant have it hidden unless locked. unless you have the CC permit.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:35 PM   #106
Bus Geek

Yeah, I like to leave the guns at home when I'm traveling. My protection system isn't for traveling. It's for when I'm out in the woods, but yes I know what you mean. Apparently it's really easy for veterans to get CC permits, but I don't have one. I'm thinking blanks would actually work for deterring wildlife, considering you could actually see them coming.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:10 PM   #107

I'm a Helicopter mechanic, and the company I work for has 32 helos across the county and I have to travel to them all very often, I'm currently doing it from a sprinter van/Rv, but looking for a new bus so my family can travel with me
chopperdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:32 PM   #108
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperdr View Post
I'm a Helicopter mechanic, and the company I work for has 32 helos across the county and I have to travel to them all very often, I'm currently doing it from a sprinter van/Rv, but looking for a new bus so my family can travel with me
Dang your a real chopper doctor not Harley type?
We can turn my bus into a CH-46
I can do the airframe and you get the actual flying thingy working
OOHRAH
CHERRY POINT AIR BASE NC
NEW RIVER AIR STATION,NC
But I almost like the 53 better for that task?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:37 PM   #109

I think the chinook drive train would lend itself better to bus life, all the moving parts on the roof, plus folding rotor disks at the push of a button, its a lot of work to fold the 53 blades lol
Old 04-27-2016, 07:45 PM   #110
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
My cousin worked on the Osprey. What a turd that thing is! Apparently its killed a few folks in its development.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:46 PM   #111
Bus Geek

I was in 17th Aviation Brigade in S Korea, but I'll choose fixed wing and VFR every time if there's a choice.
Umbrellas were optional while in the Chinooks.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:50 PM   #112

yeah I knew one guy who did die in one of the accidents, but all I can say is, in all of the incidents they did learn from and implement corrections, the biggest problem they had was mostly pilot errors, they solved the mechanical problems early on, the software took more time due to the pilots inputing wrong commands to the system as I'm told, but thankfully I don't work on anything that complicated, mine are small 2 seater and 4 seater mechanical helicopters, no dam putters to foul it up
Old 04-27-2016, 07:51 PM   #113

well the Sh*thooks did have the rep that you knew it was out of hyd fluid when you didn't see any more on the ramp
Old 04-27-2016, 07:53 PM   #114
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
AMT for major airline, 28 yrs now,
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:23 PM   #115
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
"DEV RANDOM" is its name and it will be a mobile DEV lab as well as a sandbox / toybox itself.
I dig it! I just have to ask: will you stylize it as "/dev/random"? or maybe "/dev/urandom" because of all your unlimited randomness?
Old 04-27-2016, 09:44 PM   #116
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
I dig it! I just have to ask: will you stylize it as "/dev/random"? or maybe "/dev/urandom" because of all your unlimited randomness?
I'll keep it 'DEV RANDOM' as its 10 characters just like 'SCHOOL BUS' only 3+1+6 instead of 6+1+3.. and I can use the same font lettering as SCHOOL BUS uses across the top...

I might do something cool with lettering on the sides.. not sure..

one of my friends thought it would be neat if I got one of those electromic school-bus-number placards they make.. (some busses had an electroic version, others had the numbers painted on).. then each time I start the bus I coud have a computer program generate me a random bus number.. or when stopped at a light it could be scrolling the segments generating numbers.. then stop and be a number when I started to move.. all kinds of endless ideas and projects for it...

the A/C system and server rack are already designed.. and well o nthe way to designing the "desk / bed" (conveniently located in front of the old wheelchair door so I can pop that open and its almost like im sitting outside on a patio while I work.. I'll outfit it with a retractable bug screen..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:00 PM   #117
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
one of my friends thought it would be neat if I got one of those electromic school-bus-number placards they make.. (some busses had an electroic version, others had the numbers painted on).. then each time I start the bus I coud have a computer program generate me a random bus number.. or when stopped at a light it could be scrolling the segments generating numbers.. then stop and be a number when I started to move.. all kinds of endless ideas and projects for it...
I don't mean to be a bad influence or anything (well, maybe I do).... but in case you do decide to pick up a Luminator flip-dot destination sign, I've already reverse-engineered the protocol and put custom messages on mine and will be happy to share the code. teaser from my build thread
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:15 PM   #118
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
I don't mean to be a bad influence or anything (well, maybe I do).... but in case you do decide to pick up a Luminator flip-dot destination sign, I've already reverse-engineered the protocol and put custom messages on mine and will be happy to share the code. teaser from my build thread
this is too cool for school!!. Protocol hacking has always been one of my specialties.. so cool to see someone else doing it!! i love this stuff!.. hardly anyone understands protocol hacking or has any interest in doing it..

albeit much of my protocol hacking has been in HVAC and home automation gear that I wanted to write my own software for.. this is kickin!..

how are those normally programmed? via IR remote? if so, did they use a standard pulse-distance encoded method to send essages to the sign? I find thats a common theme among MANY devices.. esp those manufactured in china...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:32 AM   #119
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Luminator uses a multi-drop RS-485 bus to connect an "Operator Display Keypad" with multiple signs. A library of messages (route names/numbers, icons, etc) are downloaded into the ODK by maintenance personnel. The operator can then recall any of them by entering the corresponding code, usually a 2- or 3-digit number. When a new message is selected at the ODK, it is sent from ODK to each sign on the RS-485 as basically a set of uncompressed monochrome bitmaps. That's where I hacked it: I worked out the meaning of some of the initialization commands and the format of the bitmaps so that I can compose my own and leave the ODK out of the picture.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:58 AM   #120
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperdr View Post
Always nice to have an A&P mechanic with us. Whenever they did maintenance on my helo i always took one of them up with me for a test ride. That guaranteed they really fixed it or they would die with me....lol.