Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2016, 10:35 PM   #141

Year: 83
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: 35
Engine: 671 Detroit Turbo, 160,000 mi Auto
Rated Cap: Dunno yet
Stoned

I'm a kitchen countertop fabricator apprentice and loving every minute of it. I work with marble, granite, quartz and natural stone all day. I wouldn't have it any other way. The happiest profession I've had is leading towards a happy skoolie life!

Cobbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:38 PM   #142

Year: 83
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: 35
Engine: 671 Detroit Turbo, 160,000 mi Auto
Rated Cap: Dunno yet
Stoned

I'm a kitchen countertop fabricator apprentice and loving every minute of it. I work with marble, granite, quartz and natural stone all day. I wouldn't have it any other way. The happiest profession I've had is leading towards a happy skoolie life😏
Cobbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:54 PM   #143
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Fun topic;

I am a engineer, dumpster diver, inventor, business man. Buying and selling on Craigslist is one of my favorite things to do. I literally lived off dumpster diving for 3 years after being laid off from my engineering job. Now i am a full time Skookie information absorber lol While i plan my build.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:14 AM   #144
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
As for me, I ride around the countryside and get paid for it.

Some folks might call us "truck drivers".
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:05 AM   #145
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
As interesting and diverse as our buses.

I retired from 30 years as a pole climber for a major Telco in '94.

Since then I've:

Driven cabs.
Driven buses.
Maint Supr for an assisted living facility.
Const laborer.
Bobtail driver for an entertainment lighting company.
Work as a contract trainer for ATT, pole climbing, def driv, CDL prep, general safety and on and on..Still do that once in a while.

70 y/o.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:24 AM   #146
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: t444e
I work in quality control at a forge. Been a carpenter, dog groomer, bike messenger, custom rug maker, machinist, food truck builder.........
ChiliChzPoopTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:43 AM   #147
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliChzPoopTart View Post
I work in quality control at a forge. Been a carpenter, dog groomer, bike messenger, custom rug maker, machinist, food truck builder.........
how cool!.. my bus storage facility is also a company that builds food trucks.. lots more work goes into those than i ever thought!.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:36 AM   #148
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
how cool!.. my bus storage facility is also a company that builds food trucks.. lots more work goes into those than i ever thought!.

-Christopher
Cadillac, how did you find the place you store your bus? Do they charge you a monthly storage fee? I would like to find a secure warehouse/garage to store/work on the bus when I buy but need something that is affordable. Renting a typical industrial space will be like paying rent for a house.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:08 AM   #149
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I pay $100 / mointh for the spot that includes a single 20 AMP electrical plug designed for battery upkeep.. they allow mild work in their shop but nothing like engine rebuilds or such where you would make a mess of the floor or create massive amounts of dust as there are other people's Boats, Busses, classic cars, etc stored there..

in my case i simply see the building along the freeway and they had a big sign up that said ' Boat /RV / Toy storage'.. so i called the number..

Now is a great time to be lookign for storage in your city.. as many people dont pay for their storage while they have their boat or RV out for the summer..

the lady at the place im going said only a few pay year round.. and the spaces are first come first-serve so if I rent a space and pay for it year round im guaranteed in.. but if I dont want the sopace in say summer then someone else could come and rent it.. since its a bus and even though im going through looking to seal up the bus, the more I can keep it out of the rain the longer it will last.. so i'll rent the indoor spot..

you can also google for Boat / RV storage.. see if there are any warehouses in the area that might let you keep a corner..

being able to work is a different story.. like i say people are very sensitive to their toys being subjected to lots of dirt and dust.. esp since they are paying for indoor storage.

some cities do have shop space rentals that you can rent for temporary basis where you have acess to lights ,power, air compressor etc for working on a project.. I know there is a shop here in town that does it for cars and short RV's..

coastal areas and areas near huge metro-plex style cities are tougher becausde real estate is a premium so itsnot cheap for someone to have a metal building full of stored vehicles.. they have to charge a premium..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 05:34 PM   #150

Year: 1999
Engine: 7.3 diesel International
What do I do??

Retired RN. Watercolor artist landscapes and miniatures. Will be traveling with the two dogs and 5 cats come spring.
Want to travel NM for art festivals. Camping of course. Great inspiration when camping. Close to home in the mountains.
The bus "Ramble On" should be done by May 2017. 99 Thomas 21 pass with International Diesel. Working on floor for now
Budget is tight but barebones is the story for now....
Mmaddy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 05:43 PM   #151
Bus Nut

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmaddy59 View Post
Retired RN. Watercolor artist landscapes and miniatures. Will be traveling with the two dogs and 5 cats come spring.
Want to travel NM for art festivals. Camping of course. Great inspiration when camping. Close to home in the mountains.
The bus "Ramble On" should be done by May 2017. 99 Thomas 21 pass with International Diesel. Working on floor for now
Budget is tight but barebones is the story for now....
Sounds nice Mmaddy. I have a '99 International but a little longer. I'm working on my floor as well but won't be completely done and traveling in it for another year. Got any pics of your bus?
Old 11-19-2016, 07:13 PM   #152

I am an Air Force veteran, and my husband is a U.S. Marine. I currently stay home with our kiddos. We plan to use our bus More for just trips but my husband will be away for a few months in the near future and I plan to full time in it and see the country with my kids while he is away
ashleylane66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:35 PM   #153

Engine: 7.3 diesel International
Tomorrow...OK????
Mmaddy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:56 PM   #154
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleylane66 View Post
I am an Air Force veteran, and my husband is a U.S. Marine. I currently stay home with our kiddos. We plan to use our bus More for just trips but my husband will be away for a few months in the near future and I plan to full time in it and see the country with my kids while he is away

Cool! I have an Air Force Ambulance...

Old 11-19-2016, 09:07 PM   #155

That's really cool!
ashleylane66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:09 PM   #156
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleylane66 View Post
That's really cool!

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/cou...ipe-14426.html
Old 11-20-2016, 07:38 AM   #157
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Carpenter Body
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 to Zero. Folding Chair
I am the Director of Campus Safety for a smaller university.
Previously, I worked for three law enforcement agencies.
Montana Sheriff's Deputy, Minnesota City Officer, Minnesota Tribal Officer.
One of the biggest attractions of the Skoolie life is first, the oddity of skoolies. I like the fact they are not parked in every dealership for sale. Second, the ability to come home from work and say, hell with it. Start up the house and drive away for the weekend. Third, doing it myself.
I have never been "handy" very limited cheap tools, no knowledge of wood work, metal work, mechanical work. I was very good for the economy before my bus was born, I would pay someone to do everything to my vehicles, house and small projects due to my complete lack of knowledge and ability.
Now, I am confident with my abilities and work.
Most importantly, I love my bus.
Everyone here has been extremely helpful and I am grateful.
New2Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:33 AM   #158
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Skool View Post
I am the Director of Campus Safety for a smaller university.
Previously, I worked for three law enforcement agencies.
Montana Sheriff's Deputy, Minnesota City Officer, Minnesota Tribal Officer.
One of the biggest attractions of the Skoolie life is first, the oddity of skoolies. I like the fact they are not parked in every dealership for sale. Second, the ability to come home from work and say, hell with it. Start up the house and drive away for the weekend. Third, doing it myself.
I have never been "handy" very limited cheap tools, no knowledge of wood work, metal work, mechanical work. I was very good for the economy before my bus was born, I would pay someone to do everything to my vehicles, house and small projects due to my complete lack of knowledge and ability.
Now, I am confident with my abilities and work.
Most importantly, I love my bus.
Everyone here has been extremely helpful and I am grateful.
Glad you're here!

And I love the FTW attitude! It's probably the biggest reason I'm here
Old 11-20-2016, 09:33 AM   #159
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Shuttle Bus
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: Ford 460/7.5l
Rated Cap: 15
Self employed working in the construction biz for 25 years...first 15 years were primarily frame and exterior trim for new residential semi custom homes. About a dozen employees and too many headaches.

Then moved more toward basement finish and remodel of bathrooms and kitchens for a half dozen years or so...worked solo.

After the last of three kids graduated I got into recycling of all metals and computers for a few years. Good money to be made when prices are good but they have fallen off the past two years. Largest job was a 32 lane bowling ally...40 tons in four days.

Currently work replacing old boilers and HVAC systems. Recent job was replacing this 115 year old boiler that was coal fired at first, converted to gas in the 40's and then we replaced it with a gas fired unit that was about half the size.

Old 11-20-2016, 02:59 PM   #160
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
I'm a midwife. I provide a concierge service for women all over the world, mostly Americans and Europeans, that are living in less than up to standard countries. I assist them to birth at home or accompany them to the hospital (less than 5% of my patients) if they desire. I am also an international expert on water birth and have taught midwives, doctors and nurses all over the world about natural birth and water birth. I lived and worked in Abu Dhabi, UAE for 3 years and in southern China for 1 year.

I also own an insurance billing business. My staff and I bill insurance companies for more than 60 midwives and birth centers around the country.

I moved onto my bus 2 weeks ago and I AM LOVING IT!!!

Sandi
aka flamidwyfe
aka WanderWoman

www.thismidwifetravels.com
www.flamidwyfe.com
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote