Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2005, 12:02 PM   #41
Skoolie

Pixie …I didn’t in the least bit think you were insinuating anything. Love your website and think you have a great attitude.

I just was addressing someone else who I thought was gloating a bit.

Anyways …Sometimes I wish I could go back to the time when Millie ,Becky (our Daughter ) and I were hitchhiking around the country hitting the Rainbow Gatherings and Grateful Dead show selling my artwork.
It was a Lot of Fun ….
Here’s an old pic of Millie at the Colorado Rainbow Gathering selling some of my buttons

In lots of ways those were the Good Old days….
And to be completely honest about the whole thing …other than having a consistent inflow of cash to buy mostly what you want…when you want it.
Working a fulltime job for an ex-hardcore nomadic type really sucks.
I guess there’s no way to candy coat it…It’s Freaking boring !

I cant wait to hit the road again...

Old 04-26-2005, 07:25 PM   #42
Mini-Skoolie

What a beautiful person Millie is ! How colorful !!

Colorado Rainbow gathering ?? Would that be the National that took place,oh,i dont remember maybe 12 years or so ago ??

If so,I was at that one ! I did the rainbow trail for a number of years,nothing like it,also dead tour.

Moss and I are gonna start hitting it again this year with our bus,its been a few years since we have been.

Anyway,maybe we will meet you someday down the road......

Love and Light ~ Pixie
Old 04-26-2005, 08:54 PM   #43
Skoolie

Yup...sure was the National one outside of Paonia (something like that)

I loved touring with the Dead...its a shame Jerry kicked the bucket .Messed up the whole thing
Old 04-21-2016, 01:39 PM   #44
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
By day I am a computer programmer and database administrator (well, at the 'shadow' or departmental level - the real IT guys here pretend I don't exist). Evenings and weekends I restore old photos and retouch new ones: see damagedphotorepair.com for examples. [If it is inappropriate for me to post my website address, please let me know and I'll edit it out.]
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:38 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Holy zombie-thread batman!!!!
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:21 PM   #46
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Hey, I saw it today, and responded today. Prolly lots of other noobs here who would be curious, too. Give me points for poking around the site...

Apologies for resurrecting this if that's not good form. Didn't notice the date until I saw the next comment. Sigh...
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:35 PM   #47
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
boy this is old, but always good to bring them back once in a while
I do maintenance on 13 houses, and a high school,
gbstewart
Old 04-21-2016, 10:12 PM   #48

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
I would tell you but I would have to kill you...and I don't have enough boolits for all of you.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:36 PM   #49
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I guess I never saw this thread, it is pretty old. I worked for 50 years or so, decided I didn't like it. USN,pretty much self employed after that. Auto mechanic, owned an import car repair shop that I turned into a full automotive machine shop. Worked in a auto restoration shop for a couple of years. Trained livestock dogs for ten years, then drove semi cross country for 20. I still have a small event photography business, specializing in livestock herding dogs. I spend most of my time working on my bus, mowing the lawn(10 acres) and annoying mumsywumsy.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:41 PM   #50
Mini-Skoolie

Carpenter for 30 yrs. Now I own my own custom woodworking business.
DT Rutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:08 PM   #51
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
We work seasonal jobs...I'm in hotels and my wife works for the National Park Service.

John
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:57 PM   #52
Mini-Skoolie

Journeyman machinist for 29 years, then CAD/CAM design for seven. Then Obamacare forced such changes to the company-provided health insurance that they said they will no longer offer the current plan. Anyone close to retirement should 'seriously' think about leaving to keep their insurance as is. Anyone still on the payroll after Jan 1 2011 will get the insurance premium $hock of their life. I wasn't old enough to retire, and staying would have forced me into instant bankruptcy and I'd lose my house, so I started selling and giving away stuff, preparing for the worst, when near the end of the year the company announced they were extending the deadline one more year. That allowed me to 'just barely' squeeze in under the bare minimum age for retirement, and so I was forced to retire eight years too early. BUT, I didn't lose my house, and I do have a bare minimum income. Just the retirement nightmare I had hoped to avoid. [insert sour grapes here].
But I have food, shelter, health, and plenty of things to keep me busy, so honestly, I can't complain!

No bus yet, and finding a place to park it will be an issue. Getting this fixer-upper house into shape to sell is my current fun thing to do.
Canned Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:22 AM   #53
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Ham View Post
Journeyman machinist for 29 years, then CAD/CAM design for seven. Then Obamacare forced such changes to the company-provided health insurance that they said they will no longer offer the current plan. Anyone close to retirement should 'seriously' think about leaving to keep their insurance as is. Anyone still on the payroll after Jan 1 2011 will get the insurance premium $hock of their life. I wasn't old enough to retire, and staying would have forced me into instant bankruptcy and I'd lose my house, so I started selling and giving away stuff, preparing for the worst, when near the end of the year the company announced they were extending the deadline one more year. That allowed me to 'just barely' squeeze in under the bare minimum age for retirement, and so I was forced to retire eight years too early. BUT, I didn't lose my house, and I do have a bare minimum income. Just the retirement nightmare I had hoped to avoid. [insert sour grapes here].
But I have food, shelter, health, and plenty of things to keep me busy, so honestly, I can't complain!

No bus yet, and finding a place to park it will be an issue. Getting this fixer-upper house into shape to sell is my current fun thing to do.
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, sounds like your crying about it. ha ha
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:09 AM   #54
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I am a professional Techie Geek (and absolutely LOVE it!).

Business partner / owner, Software Developer, Hardware Developer, Telecom engineer.

we place VoIP systems into the hospitality world.. I am the principal Product visionary, Programmer, and system architect. I have a DEV team with 2 others and then we have a whole host of excellent installers / technicians, and the like that do the dirty work..

I do my best DEV Thinking when walking / Driving / travelling / being in busy cities, coffee shops, malls, rest areas, etc..

My Bus project is different than Most of everyone;s here in that it will not be designed to be a tiny Home or a Motor-home.

"DEV RANDOM" is its name and it will be a mobile DEV lab as well as a sandbox / toybox itself. fun projects to add technology to its interior, advanced A/C, sensors to monitor the Bus' systems, etc..

up to this point when I have a visiionary idea on the road, id have to stop get a hotel room, set up a small DEV system, and then test my ideas for software and hardware...

with the Bus i'll simply pull over to a rest stop, exit, or such and my Dev Lab will be right with me. I can get my idea from brain to braun quickly.. then get back on the road..

My work is my Play.. I always have built technical projects for pretty much my whole life.. fascinations with computers, electronics, Air-conditioning, and Yes school busses go way back into my youth.. so being in the field I am, I look forward to my work each day as its always a Play day for me. I work 7 days a week.

I may also be one of the few that LOVES DRIVING a school bus.. esp the older ones.. I love the feel, the sound, the energy, the metal....

I am a single Guy with no wife, girlfriend, kids, or boyfriend.. I do have a fairly deep circle of friends and Love to socialize.. my Bus will also be used for the purpose of Social outings.. and my friends are totally on-board, they are all ready to go places and enjoy the "DEV RANDOM" and the random places it may go!

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:20 AM   #55
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger
I have worked for the last nine years for a point of sale company that specializes in bars and restaurants, 2Touch. Most of that time is spent sitting at a desk answering phone calls, solving technical problems / training.

For the last year, 2Touch has had me on the road a lot, doing point of sale computer installs for the Spike TV reality show "Bar Rescue". Tons of flights and driving, chaotic schedule, tight time frames... It's a pretty wild ride that kind of reminds me of my days playing in a band, except I actually get paid.

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:23 AM   #56
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
And I thought I had a cool job.........

I'm an ANSI 3.1 Health Physics Technician. I independently contract for nuclear power stations currently. I basically perform radiological surveys of dose rates and contamination levels to help keep workers from getting exposed to unnecessary radiation, job coverage as an on site safety person so make sure in high risk tasks, they don't get hurt both industrially and radiologically. In the business we are known as radiation protection techs.

But my hard job is being dad to an exceptionally smart 4 year old girl who will one day pass me up in IQ! She loves daddy's school bus, and wants to help work on it when she can!
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:31 AM   #57
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I love how there are so many fellow Techies in this group!! this ROCKS!

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:46 AM   #58
Bus Nut

Have worked in the medical device industry for the last 15 years. Most current position in the company is in Engineering, performing calibrations, maintenance, planning, SOP creation and revisions, purchasing, process improvement, R&D and pretty much everything else that needs to be done to keep production going. Prior to this I was a professional Firefighter/Paramedic until back injuries forced me down the current career path. Also prior military (Navy) as a nuclear powerplant welder and worked for several years doing welding/fabrication before getting hired as a firefighter.
I finally figured out what I want to be when I grow up.........RETIRED! My dream is to travel the country in a skoolie full time. Have many more moons to wait though, until my daughter gets out of school. I literally think about skoolies and achieving my dream every day!
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:07 AM   #59
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I worked in steel fab and manufacturing for 12+ years. Was laid off and haven't really found any kind of decent steady work since. But I don't miss it.
My house is paid for and my bills are low.
I've been buying and selling mopeds and scooters lately and always trying to line up that next odd job.
If anyone in central Florida needs any help, PM me!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:05 AM   #60
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
There aren't many jobs I haven't had over the years but have been an artist for most of them. Was in advertising for nearly 25 years, now sculpt cement & concrete and run a studio-warehouse for artists. I also teach the weird, esoteric art form known as Faux Bois in different parts of the country which is one reason for the skoolie. It will be a combination mobile retirement home and teaching lab.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote