Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2016, 10:08 AM   #121
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Flyboy...I like your thinking.

Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:18 AM   #122
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
I must have been a hippie in my past life....
Was in the US Army for a bit, but got out once i realized how badly we were used. Anyway, don't want to start a war on here (see what i did there?).
Loved firing the M60 with it's guttural "GAH-GAH-GAH-GAH"

in tech support now, nothing exciting like the rest of you guys.
Also had some industrial cabinetry jobs, store clerk at several places...

Always loved to tinker with stuff, trying new things my dad used to yell at me as a kid breaking all electronics in the house!....built my "new NAS" out of an old PC, some recycled drives, duct tape and electrical wire i had sitting around the house!
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:37 AM   #123
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Lifeguard
Engine: 366 Chevy
Everytime I'm asked this and I start rambling on and on, folks accuse me of lying - I'm sorry I've been so busy living my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
I would tell you but I would have to kill you...and I don't have enough boolits for all of you.
Retired Air Force Officer: Pilot, Engineer, Designer, Scientist, Logistician, Commander. Expertise in Stealth, Electronic Warfare, Integrated automated offensive & defensive weapons systems, Expeditionary Deployment. Associated A/C: T-38, F-5, F-16, F-117, F-22, F-35, AF-1, EA-6, C-12, C-21

As the NATO Logistics Commander for Enduring Freedom (Bosnia), Gen Clark (USAFE CC) damn near crashed one of my C-21s to come see me and left a note on my chalkboard, "You can never bring too many bullets to a gunfight" - may have had something to do with the fact that we were running over 900 air mission/day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyHPD View Post
... to be totally honest it was hours and hours of sheer boredom interspersed by moments of sheer terror while flying......lol.
Been there, done that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I dont know how anyone can land on a bobbing moving runway... esp a chopper...
Tried it twice on F/A-18 simulator landing on a carrier - no thanks, I can't swim well enough.

After retirement started my own computer consulting company (yeah, I'm a geek too). As a hobby, I install, create, program, CarPC computer systems. My CarPCs tie into every system on the car as well as GPS nav, full-time internet, and quite a bit of automation.

My consulting business lasted 5 years. I sold two technology integration concepts to major industries and retired again.

Am now just trying to live a life of "ease and grace." ... with a little Land Speed Racing to rev up the adrenaline. I started racing SCCA Autocross, graduated up to road courses, then decided to try Standing Mile Racing on airport runways and was hooked. The bus allows me to take my car in a covered transport and not have to worry if I blow up the car (I'll just winch it back up in the bus and go home).

I've already traveled the world a few times. The bus lets me travel the country with my gal in comfort at our own pace. Short camping trips, we don't even bother to bring the car. Longer trips, if I'm not racing or showing the car, it serves as our "runabout." I want to take the next two years and travel from race to National Park to race, rinse repeat until something breaks.

gizmoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:49 AM   #124
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmoq View Post
....Engineer, Designer, Scientist...... Expertise in Stealth, Electronic Warfare, Integrated automated offensive & defensive weapons systems.....

After retirement started my own computer consulting company (yeah, I'm a geek too). As a hobby, I install, create, program, CarPC computer systems. My CarPCs tie into every system on the car as well as GPS nav, full-time internet, and quite a bit of automation.

Gizmog, how about designing a "stealth" bus! Let's put your skills to the test! Of course it would need offensive and defensive capabilities!
So would the integration systems you designed work for a skoolie? You have a group of potential customers here that would love to tie in everything in an rv/bus but are not tech savvy. Let us know if you have something that would work, I would be interested. I'd love to see a "low cost" skoolie with everything integrated so it could be monitored/controlled by an ipad/tablet to show up the million dollar coaches that have the high dollar integration systems! (Monitoring and management for Engine/transmission, climate control, Black/Grey/Potable water, electrical system, entertainment system, vehicle lighting and electrical, etc).
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:56 AM   #125
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
Gizmog, how about designing a "stealth" bus! Let's put your skills to the test! Of course it would need offensive and defensive capabilities!
So would the integration systems you designed work for a skoolie? You have a group of potential customers here that would love to tie in everything in an rv/bus but are not tech savvy. Let us know if you have something that would work, I would be interested. I'd love to see a "low cost" skoolie with everything integrated so it could be monitored/controlled by an ipad/tablet to show up the million dollar coaches that have the high dollar integration systems! (Monitoring and management for Engine/transmission, climate control, Black/Grey/Potable water, electrical system, entertainment system, vehicle lighting and electrical, etc).
I'm going to be doing a lot of that with my bus.. Not so much guns and stuff like that but automation yes! .. Since it's going to be my dev bus I'll be running a lot of networked, iot , probably make my switch panel all glass, of course ill have climate computerized.. Led color changeable lighting etc

I'm not doing a full conversion so no water and kitchen stuff to control...

There is a build on this board that is a high end tech build, I'll have to find the thread.. It's great!! He is using zone chillers and all..
Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:12 AM   #126
Bus Nut

Quote:
I'm going to be doing a lot of that with my bus.. Not so much guns and stuff like that but automation yes! .. Since it's going to be my dev bus I'll be running a lot of networked, iot , probably make my switch panel all glass, of course ill have climate computerized.. Led color changeable lighting etc

I'm not doing a full conversion so no water and kitchen stuff to control...

There is a build on this board that is a high end tech build, I'll have to find the thread.. It's great!! He is using zone chillers and all..
Christopher
Yeah, I notice several builds like yours and OffGrid1 where those that are tech savvy are doing this. I'm talking about us non-techies that might be interested on the integration but need something as plug-n-play as possible. If it's mechanical, metal, wood, etc I can fabricate and pretty much do anything. When it starts getting into the computer/electronic realm my eyes glaze over and I hear some strange language
Old 04-29-2016, 08:22 AM   #127

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Everytime I'm asked this and I start rambling on and on, folks accuse me of lying - I'm sorry I've been so busy living my life.

Retired Air Force Officer: Pilot, Engineer, Designer, Scientist, Logistician, Commander. Expertise in Stealth, Electronic Warfare, Integrated automated offensive & defensive weapons systems, Expeditionary Deployment. Associated A/C: T-38, F-5, F-16, F-117, F-22, F-35, AF-1, EA-6, C-12, C-21

As the NATO Logistics Commander for Enduring Freedom (Bosnia), Gen Clark (USAFE CC) damn near crashed one of my C-21s to come see me and left a note on my chalkboard, "You can never bring too many bullets to a gunfight" - may have had something to do with the fact that we were running over 900 air mission/day.

Been there, done that!

Tried it twice on F/A-18 simulator landing on a carrier - no thanks, I can't swim well enough.

My consulting business lasted 5 years. I sold two technology integration concepts to major industries and retired again.

Am now just trying to live a life of "ease and grace." ... with a little Land Speed Racing to rev up the adrenaline. I started racing SCCA Autocross, graduated up to road courses, then decided to try Standing Mile Racing on airport runways and was hooked. The bus allows me to take my car in a covered transport and not have to worry if I blow up the car (I'll just winch it back up in the bus and go home).

I've already traveled the world a few times. The bus lets me travel the country with my gal in comfort at our own pace. Short camping trips, we don't even bother to bring the car. Longer trips, if I'm not racing or showing the car, it serves as our "runabout." I want to take the next two years and travel from race to National Park to race, rinse repeat until something breaks.

opcor n:

My life is boring compared to yours, even compared to a snail.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:22 AM   #128
Bus Geek

Quote:
Yeah, I notice several builds like yours and OffGrid1 where those that are tech savvy are doing this. I'm talking about us non-techies that might be interested on the integration but need something as plug-n-play as possible. If it's mechanical, metal, wood, etc I can fabricate and pretty much do anything. When it starts getting into the computer/electronic realm my eyes glaze over and I hear some strange language
a lot of the plug N play technologies out there for home can be integrated to a bus..

for instance, if you have a modern bus you likely have an OBD2 capable connector.. using the Cheap "Torque" app and a dongle plugged in now you have the ability to see MANY engine parameters.. no real tech savvyness needed except to load the data points file... which is easy..

Internet connectivity... Mobile hotspots such as verizon and AT&T.. (yeah you pay data).. then you can install plug N play home stuff such as Phillips hue lights (remote controllable, color changing LED house lights).. the app runs on that same android tablet or ipad.. (switch screens fro mthe engine app).. or use your cell phone on wifi...)

want zoned integrated sound? apple airport express's (especially the older ones).. each had an audio out jack.. plug them into your speakers.. they connect to wi-fi.. easy to configure with apple's airport utility..).. use your ipad or iphone and play a song.. simply select from a list which one you want to send the audio stream to and bam! zoned remote control music...

this is all stuff that is pretty easy to get going.. no code to write, no circuits to build, etc...

you can even outfit many camper A/C units with a remote controllable home thermostat similar to Nest, venstar, honeywell, etc(if you have the right units)..

-Christopher
Old 04-29-2016, 09:44 AM   #129
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
Quote:
a lot of the plug N play technologies out there for home can be integrated to a bus..

for instance, if you have a modern bus you likely have an OBD2 capable connector.. using the Cheap "Torque" app and a dongle plugged in now you have the ability to see MANY engine parameters.. no real tech savvyness needed except to load the data points file... which is easy..

Internet connectivity... Mobile hotspots such as verizon and AT&T.. (yeah you pay data).. then you can install plug N play home stuff such as Phillips hue lights (remote controllable, color changing LED house lights).. the app runs on that same android tablet or ipad.. (switch screens fro mthe engine app).. or use your cell phone on wifi...)

want zoned integrated sound? apple airport express's (especially the older ones).. each had an audio out jack.. plug them into your speakers.. they connect to wi-fi.. easy to configure with apple's airport utility..).. use your ipad or iphone and play a song.. simply select from a list which one you want to send the audio stream to and bam! zoned remote control music...

this is all stuff that is pretty easy to get going.. no code to write, no circuits to build, etc...

you can even outfit many camper A/C units with a remote controllable home thermostat similar to Nest, venstar, honeywell, etc(if you have the right units)..

-Christopher
I'm a big fan of home consumer electronics; minor tinkering, major rewards!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:39 PM   #130
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post

My life is boring compared to yours, even compared to a snail.
At over 50 yrs old, there's a lot of living behind me, but I think I got a lot more to go. Ohhhh, the stories I could tell... but half are still classified and I retired 15 years ago.

Quote:
What Caddykid said^ A lot of what's available is off-the-shelf home automation stuff. Believe it or not, I haven't even bothered to think about a CarPC for the bus. Its my refuge away from all that stuff. I guess when we go full-time, I'll do something - nav, cams, and security; but it won't be nearly as extensive as my demo car( it has over a mile of additional wiring, 30+ sensors, 20+ added relays, 4 relay controllers, 18 USB accessories, etc, etc, etc).

Giz
Old 04-29-2016, 12:52 PM   #131
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
"Its my refuge away from all that stuff."

I totally agree. The less tech I can have on boards the better. GPS...yep, maybe a sat TV and ham radio just for fun. But otherwise...not. Anything I can make mechanical as opposed to electronic, I am doing. The only other thing I'll need to survive a big EMP burst is my aluminum foil hat (which I always keep handy anyway...damned aliens).

Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:20 PM   #132
Bus Nut

Quote:
What Caddykid said^ A lot of what's available is off-the-shelf home automation stuff. Believe it or not, I haven't even bothered to think about a CarPC for the bus. Its my refuge away from all that stuff. I guess when we go full-time, I'll do something - nav, cams, and security; but it won't be nearly as extensive as my demo car( it has over a mile of additional wiring, 30+ sensors, 20+ added relays, 4 relay controllers, 18 USB accessories, etc, etc, etc).

Giz
WOW! That's a lot of stuff to troubleshoot if you have a problem.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:08 PM   #133
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
THis thread has been so informative! I thought you were like 25 or something. IDK why.
's OK. Thanks for the compliments.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:55 PM   #134
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
The only other thing I'll need to survive a big EMP burst is my aluminum foil hat (which I always keep handy anyway...damned aliens).
I shall see your hat sir and raise you a suit...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #135
Bus Geek

hmmm i never thought about it but as long as my bus was running it would survive an EMP.. at least now... until I do something crazy like install an allison 1000 transmission..

thats when I finally get it... more rust found, therefore more time till i get it.. any rust being found by the crew is getting fixed.. thats just how I roll.

as for a CarPC.. I used to build them until I found the android double-din infotainment systems.. granted I cannot do as much but they do alot... my HA custom GUI software runs, all my music stuff... Airplay works, torque with an OBD2 dongle for engine parameters, USB port can tether a hotspot, or go WiFi to the internet... GPS is any of your favorite android GPS apps.. i use copilot. they have Bluetooth built in, dash cam and rear cam capabilities, can even work the steering wheel controls in a car.. afer I found those I quit building car PC's.
-Christopher
Old 04-29-2016, 07:10 PM   #136
Skoolie

Quote:
as for a CarPC.. I used to build them until I found the android double-din infotainment systems.
Exactly. Not worth the effort anymore.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:03 PM   #137
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:

-Christopher
I don't think buses have OBD. Something similar, I'm sure but this has come up before.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:50 AM   #138
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I don't think buses have OBD. Something similar, I'm sure but this has come up before.

it all depends on the bus or truck.. some of the busses that run with engines and drivetrains similar to their "light truck counterparts" do have standard OBD2 connectors and protocols.. others like you say are proprietary..

and of course mechanicals like ours have none of that...

Commercial vehicles werent required by law to have standardized OBD2 connectors, however many of them follow the same protocol because it was already developed and in use.. OBD2 was full in use by the 96 model year for consumer vehicles..

the connector itself in a bus may be different but the data coming out is often compatible and by building a simple adapter , this data can still be retrieved by OBD2 scan tools..

-Christopher
Old 04-30-2016, 08:59 AM   #139
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
When I win the lottery and build a for-reals conversion, I want something from these guys: SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc. | Knowledge is Horsepower
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:40 PM   #140
Skoolie

I am working for one of the big corporate cell phone companies in retail sales. I am spending all this money on my skoolie so my girlfriend, dog, and I can retire for a few years while we are young and travel the country enjoying a more simple way of life for a bit. She is an organic farmer and doesn't make much but according to my calculations in a year and a half we should be able to live and travel for 5 years give or take traveling with the occasional temp job for a month or 2 and random odd jobs. We plan on taking full advantage of any programs that allow us to work for food/bus parking.
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote