Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2004, 12:55 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

what do you "do"?

hello again y'all,
I was sitting there today, in my overly stiffling, hopefully temporary cubicle and I started wondering what you all "do" for a living. I am imagining there is a pretty diverse base of people out there.... does anyone actually drive a bus with kids to school?

I'll start: I myself am a recent college graduate (how long can I claim being a graduate as my "profession"?) and am temping, as said above, in an office. doing data entry.... ALL DAY. I aspire to do something creative and outdoorsy someday. either that, or marry rich. a girl has got to dream.

wonderkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 02:22 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Right now I am working as a Mechanical Engineer at a precision agricultural company, but maybe in Jan. I will be going back to school (Iowa State University) for a while.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 02:50 AM   #3
Almost There

Year: 1984
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: orig.327, now 429
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via ICQ to abdabbs Send a message via AIM to abdabbs
howdy...

...i just recently stopped working at a fine dinning restaurant here in des moines and now am helping remodel a house. kinda freelancing for a couple of months.

always dreaming of what to do next to my bus !

we should have a skoolie in and grab some grub sometime

Tony
aka abdabbs

ps. sorry i havent been around for a while
abdabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:43 AM   #4
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to Firearm Send a message via AIM to Firearm
I am a Police Officer in Northern Wisconsin. With 12 years in I can no longer claim to be a recent college grad, though I wish I could. I also wish that I was a rich guy but I've never met one I like so I aspire to remain poor and nice. Ok, it's the toys I keep buying that keep me poor (like buses, etc...).
Firearm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:50 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
2 jobs here: driving shuttle buses, & driving tow trucks.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 10:12 AM   #6
Almost There

Occupation?

The name of my 1927 50' boat reflects the answer to your question. The name of the boat is "Mysterion". When people ask me what that means I tell them "It's a mystery to me". Thats the way I prefer to keep it. Keep up the good work.

Later, J.B.
J.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 05:24 PM   #7
Bus Geek

I'm a paramedic. I love my job! Never went to an actual college, but plan to become an RN someday. IN the future, as a critical care RN/ medic i hope to work on a rescue helicopter.

I live in michigan now, but i am at the point in my life that i can move anywhere and find a job. I've been considering finding a new state to call home.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:51 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

whadyadoo!

Hey All,
I am a Autobody technician and work for a major collision repair shop.
Bin doing it for eons it seems like. Someday, when my ship finally arrives I will slow down a bit and spend more time travelling.
Cheers everyone!
Old 12-01-2004, 07:53 PM   #9
Almost There

my work

Im General Motors Technician at a local Chevrolet dealership just west of milwaukee.
In search of Bus #2
(Sold)1989 Chevy Thomas 8.2 Detroit Allison AT545 Custom 3rd door added in back.
GM Service Tech
JonCBrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:53 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

I am a computer analyst and full time student.

I have been taking welding classes lately for heavy structural stuff. Moving to lighter stuff next semester.
system-f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:40 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Send a message via Yahoo to stego
I spent a lot of time in the "real world" mostly connected with automotive type stuff. Ended up with my little import business dealing mostly with sports/classic imports. (Boy toys)

Then having convinced myself that I had enough $ to retire early, I moved out to CO. After my "fortune" rapidly ran out - I went back to work in the recreation "industry". Became a raft guide and a ski instructer and had a blast for about 20yrs.

Now - I drive a school bus (yes, a real one) and mostly raise my 11yr. old daughter.
Which takes an amazing amount of time - and the two work together perfectly. Well almost - the pay isn't real exciting. but the job is!

Life is good......think I'll have another!

stego
Old 12-02-2004, 09:56 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
SoulTrader: Did you post a thread about your artic on the bustun.com BBS?
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:39 PM   #13
Bus Nut

I'm a partner in a boat dealership on Whidbey Island in the Puget Sound region of Washington State. Have 5 grown children (youngest is 24 now); replaced them with 2 Australian Cattle Dogs (ACD's; a.k.a. Blue Heelers), an aging Bassett Hound and two cats (I think there's a few fish around here too!). The bus will be a full-time liveaboard eventually and a getaway for the near future. My "professional" background is as a computer installer/trainer and software developer (before I escaped to the boat world).

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 11:15 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Hi Kevin,

One of our Cattle Dogs (Dusty, on the right) is a purebred; the other (Rocky) is a rescue from a dog pound about 150 miles south of us. I'm not sure there isn't some Shepherd in Rocky; he's got that kind of coat and he's not 100% to 'type' for an ACD...he's a super dog though whatever he is!

Not a great picture (they don't hold still very well) but this is my desktop background...

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 12:17 PM   #15
Skoolie

Engine: CAT 3208 NA
Another computer guy here, a Sr. UNIX SysAdmin - but I've been an electronics tech, model maker, A/C repairman and TV repairman.

I've been thinking about a skoolie for years but only started actively researching it a few months ago. In a couple of weeks I'll have my end-of-year bonus in my pocket and will actively be looking and ready to buy.

What got me going was the fact that my family loves to camp and even though I loath sleeping on the ground, I kept finding myself in a tent with a rock in my back! SO, it's a kind of self-defense!

I'm really looking forward to heading up the Atlantic coast and exploring Canada and Nova Scotia.

Jake.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:55 PM   #16
Almost There

I'm another of the Automotive guys, I work on cars ,trucks , and medium duty vehicles all day, then go home and play with my own
Old 12-05-2004, 06:33 PM   #17
Ron
Mini-Skoolie

I'm a maintenance co-ordinator, currently working for a large multi national cement company. At this time I manage the maintenance of the fleet of mobile equipment (100 ton off road rock trucks etc) used in the quarrying end of the business at this plant located on the north shore of Lake Ontario. Yup, I'm a Canuck. I've been involved in heavy equipment maintenance in this plant for about 18 years now but before that lived and worked for about 12 years in far northern locations in Manitoba and Ontario (underground mining). I too am no spring chicken, but stay as young as I can by doing completely silly things like converting this old bus. Just kidding, I love this old bus.

Ron.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 01:05 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
What I do

Right now, I am a house-husband, and mostly do housework and yardwork. I just sewed some coats for my dogs, and I just put in a little flagstone patio in the yard.

Until about 3 months ago I was a regulatory compliance supervisor in the securities industry, which means that I was the internal audit guy who would go around to the brokers in a district/branch/region/etc. and snoop through their client files and say, "Why didn't you get this form signed?"; "Where is this paperwork?"; "You can't say this in a written communication to a public customer."; "You haven't matched your order tickets with your confirmations in the client file."; etc., etc. Also I did some compliance training functions, handled customer complaints, filed regulatory paperwork on brokers, kept required files, etc. I have series 7 (general securities), 63 ("all state" exam), 66 (investment advisory representative), 24 (general securities principal), and 53 (municipal securities principal) licenses, and I used to have a commodities license and an insurance license, but let those expire because I didn't use them.

I got downsized by my company, and the industry is in such a contraction and my job skills are so specialized that there's not anything available in the same area. I was getting tired of it anyway, so I'm not too upset (except for the no income aspect.) Not being in the corporate gristmill is a very nice thing. I am enrolling back in school for the Spring semester. I left school about 20 years ago to go to work, but now my goal is to finish my bachelors degree and get a law degree (which is what I started out to do so many years ago) before my 19 year old son gets his bachelor's degree.

Right now I am living in my one-day-to-be-ex-wife's semi-finished, unheated attic. We were about to split up, when I lost my job. She said I could live with her while I went to school, so that's what I'm doing.

Plus housework.
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 05:57 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19
Computer Programmer.
The company I would for (and have worked for for 8 years) is based in NYC -- and I work from home (in Arizona). Like any job it has it's highs & lows, but they are good folks to work for.

A while ago I mentioned to my boss the idea of living in and working from an RV. At the time he said, "Why not convert a bus?" It took a few months for the sublime beauty of the suggestion to sink in....but here I am.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:23 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

holy god, I think I'm the youngest person here, I'm seventeen, still taking classes (history mostly) and working on coming to terms with finding out that I'm super high functioning autistic (I scored 156 on weischler{sp?} I.Q. test)

I decided to get a bus because I just don't fit in typical society, I always admired to a certain extent the beats (kerouac, ginsberg) and ther successors (kesey, wavy gravy) and a bus seems like so much more fun than hitchhiking (although there are days)

I wish to see the nation I was born into before I leave the continent to find out about the rest of the world, it's method

and I'm still lookin' for a job (people just don't like to hire long haired freaky people)