Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-23-2019, 05:40 PM   #11
Almost There
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 74
Year: 2006
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevrolet Express 3500
Engine: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by peakbus View Post
What do you use to hold them in place?
A very quick and dirty set of wooden wheel chocks I slapped together with some eye hooks to hold some friction tiedowns in place.
dazdconfsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:41 PM   #12
Almost There
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 74
Year: 2006
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevrolet Express 3500
Engine: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfather View Post
I like the idea of mounting bikes vertically against the rear of the bus, on either side of the rear door. Seems like you could extend some kind of metal rod or beam off the roof, or cantilever one out from under a roof rack, and hang a bunch of bikes up there.
You'll still need to do something to keep the rear wheels in place too. Otherwise they'll move around over big bumps.
dazdconfsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:27 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 62
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfather View Post
I like the idea of mounting bikes vertically against the rear of the bus, on either side of the rear door. Seems like you could extend some kind of metal rod or beam off the roof, or cantilever one out from under a roof rack, and hang a bunch of bikes up there.
I was thinking the same thing about vertical mount. Thinking of bolting a fork mount at the top and a rear wheel track at the bottom. Then 2 eyelets for a strap to take hold it all in place.
Need access to my back door so hitch mounts don't really interest me...
dspizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:11 PM   #14
Bus Nut
 
haz.matt.1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: E Central Tejas
Posts: 564
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Skoolie life forced me from 4 bicyles to only the one mountain bike.
Don't want your bike stolen, easy peasey:
Take the saddle with you.
Leave it's stem, if you're particularly evil.
__________________
I haven't lost my mind. it's backed up on disc, [i]somewhere...]/i\
haz.matt.1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:24 PM   #15
Almost There
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 74
Year: 2006
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevrolet Express 3500
Engine: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
Skoolie life forced me from 4 bicyles to only the one mountain bike.
Don't want your bike stolen, easy peasey:
Take the saddle with you.
Leave it's stem, if you're particularly evil.
That will only stop the uneducated thief. Some bikes are still valuable for their parts. Inside offers a level of protection not only from theft, but from other damage such as dust/grime wearing out the drive chain faster.
dazdconfsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:25 PM   #16
Almost There
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 74
Year: 2006
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevrolet Express 3500
Engine: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspizzle View Post
I was thinking the same thing about vertical mount. Thinking of bolting a fork mount at the top and a rear wheel track at the bottom. Then 2 eyelets for a strap to take hold it all in place.
Need access to my back door so hitch mounts don't really interest me...
There are plenty of hitch mounts that swing out of the way to allow access while still mounted. But inside is still more secure/better protected.
dazdconfsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:27 PM   #17
Bus Nut
 
haz.matt.1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: E Central Tejas
Posts: 564
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Yeah, I thought about the bike thief who already has a ride, but didn't want to go into a whole dissertation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdconfsd View Post
That will only stop the uneducated thief. Some bikes are still valuable for their parts. Inside offers a level of protection not only from theft, but from other damage such as dust/grime wearing out the drive chain faster.
If I had sufficient surplus space, mine'd ride inside, too.
Not being the case, when in between camp sites, it's loving nestled onto my Road Gear collapsible 3-bike carrier on the road.
A Bell heavy duty cable lock, thru both frames, completes the scene.
Am I being paranoid?
And am I being paranoid enough..?
__________________
I haven't lost my mind. it's backed up on disc, [i]somewhere...]/i\
haz.matt.1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.