Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2017, 05:46 PM   #41
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
It's Ben quite a few years since we looked at this but was always a dream of ours as homeschooling campers.
The National parks had/have a thing called WORKCAMPER where they would give you a spot and a job for 8-15$ an hour,free hook ups and lot rent for the time your there and if you said I love the grand canyons but I want to be at the smokey mountains park in 4-weeks(notice to them) then they will have you a spot and jobs when you get there.
I know I didn't do the uppercase lowercase mess correct but the national park WORKCAMPER is there if you look for it?
Life,teenagers,money? Is the only reason we are not there?
I looked that up a few months ago and IIRC it's been privatized, and the new deal is not near as good as the old one. For one thing, you have to commit to spending the whole season in one park April-October. Not how I roll.

dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:23 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
In Virginia there are some "campsites" that you actually own the land to. I have purchased 2 adjacent lots at a place called Indian Acres near Stafford Va. Both lots have pedestals(30amp AC and water hookup). They have a few nice shower houses(but I will have a full bath in my bus) 3 septic waste collection spots, a shop with arcade, and a community center. The only downside is you can only spend 230 days a year max(open year round. u pick the days). It is gated with security so u cant get in without notice. The lots were only $1200 and my yearly tax is $300. This allows me to save some $ to buy land to move onto and eventually build a cabin which most everything in the bus was purchased to be able to be transplanted to cabin.
Doug
Defjr333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:38 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I see it but don't know the IIRC thing but as for as what y'all are saying for the new GIG it won't be me either.
I wanna go when I wanna go and I will stop wherever I choose? (With research of course ) ?
That's BS but fits the U.S. Right now?
Might as well dump the bus and start hiking with a tent again?
Your own two feet,what you want to carry and no one to stop you from stopping for the night off the side of the trail.
Wait a minute? I already do that with the Boy Scouts?
Let me know if y'all find a better idea?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:12 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscrms View Post
You’re not wrong, but people do it. There are internet dishes, including some with auto aligners designed for RVs.

We have it on our cabin in Canada, and I would agree it’s a last resort connection. Expensive and slow, and not very reliable in poor weather. Pretty much any other option that’s available will be better. But when there are no other options it can be made to work.

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are gravely mistaken sir, or grossly misinformed.... Internet satellite is entirely different than tv and movie services, it operates in BOTH DIRECTIONS, and will not work anyplace except the exact gps coordinates it was installed at. Tv/movie services are a ONE WAY (down only) service, so as long as you can see the satallite, you can tune in... MUCH DIFFERENT than a 2 way (signals going both directions type that internet satellite uses)
Axeanda45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:44 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Not any more. "New Gen" Dishes are 2 way, even full gps track aligned. 1970s military tech now available....."for the right price"

Portable Mobile Satellite Dish Marine Boat bus RV Camper Limo truck - SatelliteDish

Doug
Old 12-14-2017, 03:29 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defjr333 View Post
Not any more. "New Gen" Dishes are 2 way, even full gps track aligned. 1970s military tech now available....."for the right price"

Portable Mobile Satellite Dish Marine Boat bus RV Camper Limo truck - SatelliteDish

Doug
You are confused, those dishes that you linked to are NOT internet dishes... those are tv dishes. they have ZERO to do with internet access...

I stand corrected... I read a little further, and for the lowly sum of $59k, yes, for only 59THOUSAND dollars, you too can have a mobile internet satellite dish... and that doesnt include your monthly subscription, only the equipment. Yes, that is well within all of our budgets, yes?
Axeanda45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:01 AM   #47
Bus Nut

Never said was cheap, just possible. To just have SMS texts and emergency communications, this would be my preference on ways to go:

https://www.gotenna.com/

Doug
Old 12-15-2017, 04:30 PM   #48
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 8.3L 12v
Rated Cap: 78
Fully automated mobile satellite internet system $6,450, iDirect service starts at $65 per month.
RV DataSAT 840 Mobile Satellite Internet System powered by iDirect - Montana Satellite Supply

Basic Manual HughesNet Ku Band systems that can be moved around start at ~$700, service starts at ~$100 per month.
HughesNet Ku Band Satellite Internet Systems
miscrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:01 PM   #49
Bus Nut

I use the internet from phone or wifi when available. I cant justify that kind of $ for internet. Was just showing those with fatter wallets than mine that you could do it if u wanted.
Doug
Old 12-15-2017, 06:01 PM   #50
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
It ought to be cheaper than household satellite service. It's not like they're going to make a service call when our satellite goes out, wherever we may be.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:10 PM   #51
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
That has got to be the MOST frustrating aspect of Skoolie life. We're not a factory RV.

Most RV parks won't let you in unless your beastie is < 10 years old and not home made. That leaves 99.9999999% of us out.

I went nuts trying to find someplace to rent to park Brunhilde. RV parks are prohibitively expensive and zoning laws won't let me park on the street. I ended up finding a place out in the boonies for $550 per month, electricity included. Actually, it's quite nice. Far off train whistles and low traffic make it peaceful.
I could live with train noise...lol

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:11 PM   #52
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo-196 View Post
Hope it all works out! What is the best place to find land for sale online?
Maybe Zillow

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:20 PM   #53
Bus Nut

I would search for campgrounds that you buy the land to. Check my post on previous page. It is like 90% of RV parks, except you own your land. That makes it cheap. Lots go anywhere from "take over annual dues" to $10k (usually with trailer on it).
Doug
Old 06-27-2018, 09:59 AM   #54

where to live /park

this site has a lot of good options with owner financing: https://nationalland.com/propsearch.php?justlisted=90
tdomia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, living cost, parking