Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2017, 04:58 PM   #1

Question Where to live/park

Hey Guys,

I am a new member to the site and wanted to consult with you guys about something that has been troubling me. My spouse and I are looking to build and move into a Skoolie full time. The idea is to break free from the chains of debt, live a more free lifestyle on the road, and enjoy our lives and this beautiful country while we still can. There is one big issue. We are finishing our payments on our car leases, and will not be able to travel full time until then. We are currently in South Florida, where we both hold full-time employment positions until we are able to move. We will start work on the bus and will have it ready to live in before we can go travel. I am concerned about how, or rather where, can we station/live in the bus while we get everything together for the road (approx 1 year). The bus will have full off grid capabilities. We also have two cats that will be living with us, so we need it to be a safe space. Also, we plan to make this our permanent home for years to come. Where do people generally live when staying in an area for a few weeks at a time? does this prove to be difficult?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Pablo-196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:00 PM   #2

I am also curious about where most Skoolie owners end up parking/living full time. Ideally we would like to not have to move very often.
stuartb87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:12 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartb87 View Post
I am also curious about where most Skoolie owners end up parking/living full time. Ideally we would like to not have to move very often.
Buy land, or make friends with someone who has lots of it.
That's my system, anyhow.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:58 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
That has got to be the MOST frustrating aspect of Skoolie life. We're not a factory RV.

Most RV parks won't let you in unless your beastie is < 10 years old and not home made. That leaves 99.9999999% of us out.

I went nuts trying to find someplace to rent to park Brunhilde. RV parks are prohibitively expensive and zoning laws won't let me park on the street. I ended up finding a place out in the boonies for $550 per month, electricity included. Actually, it's quite nice. Far off train whistles and low traffic make it peaceful.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 05:14 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Not sure where in Florida you are but I was eyeballing some 1 acre lots in the Jupitor area a while back that were offered ant $20k to $35k with water & power at the street and owner financing. If I recall, they wanted 20% down.

Not the simplest solution but an option you may want to consider.

Good luck!!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:59 PM   #6

Thanks for the help guys! Guess buying land is the only real option here :/
Old 08-28-2017, 06:27 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo-196 View Post
Thanks for the help guys! Guess buying land is the only real option here :/
Cheap land outside the city is the best route, imo. For what some folks pay for lot rental you can buy land.
After owning three buses the importance of owning land is very apparent to me.
I'm in a position now where I've either gotta sell my 40 footer or buy land this year.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:24 AM   #8

Hope it all works out! What is the best place to find land for sale online?
Old 08-28-2017, 10:47 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Personally, I like www.truila.com .

I would also check Craigslist
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:00 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
I 2nd the suggestion to buy land, I bought some and in 18 months I will own it free and clear with payments lot less then half of your typical RV monthly rental. And no one can tell me no sorry it's a bus can't park here!

I found mine on www.landwatch.com
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:16 PM   #11
Skoolie

Craigslist under the housing works good too. Also permies.com has a section for volunteering you can post where you want to stay and lots of homesteaders will rent a spot or let you stay in exchange for work.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044R using Tapatalk
Gypsy Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:18 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo-196 View Post
Hey Guys,

I am a new member to the site and wanted to consult with you guys about something that has been troubling me. My spouse and I are looking to build and move into a Skoolie full time. The idea is to break free from the chains of debt, live a more free lifestyle on the road, and enjoy our lives and this beautiful country while we still can. There is one big issue. We are finishing our payments on our car leases, and will not be able to travel full time until then. We are currently in South Florida, where we both hold full-time employment positions until we are able to move. We will start work on the bus and will have it ready to live in before we can go travel. I am concerned about how, or rather where, can we station/live in the bus while we get everything together for the road (approx 1 year). The bus will have full off grid capabilities. We also have two cats that will be living with us, so we need it to be a safe space. Also, we plan to make this our permanent home for years to come. Where do people generally live when staying in an area for a few weeks at a time? does this prove to be difficult?

Thanks in advance for all the help!
I live up in Martin County (just above Palm Beach) and I have been parked next to a friend's driveway in her front yard for nearly 10 months. I guess it depends on the neighborhood. There are actually 4 other homes within a block of me, where other people live in RV's in the front yard... pretty cool neighborhood.

I'm hitting the road exactly 1 month from today!!!! I plan on staying in state and federal parks, many of which you can stay in for up to 30 days before having to move. My plan is to move my bus on Sunday's, and work M-Th running my internet based business, explore the area on Friday and Saturday and move again Sunday.

Good luck!
Sandi
www.thismidwifetravels.com
Currently catching a baby in Mozambique
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:47 AM   #13
Skoolie

Yeah I too have been squatting at a friend's for six months. I head west to squat on a farm in Oregon while I do some minor remodeling on my new skoolie.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:32 AM   #14

Sounds like an amazing plan, I am very excited for you and hope you enjoy your freedom! I am also looking to start an online business and do something similar..
Old 08-29-2017, 10:42 AM   #15

That will depend on a few things...there are lots of places that you can't "camp" on your own land...the desert Quartzite/ SlabCity type places are more liberal, but I assume that's because it's the frikkin' desert.
Dropkicksmurfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:03 AM   #16
Skoolie

Those are the places I am heading towards. I like the frikkin desert. I am just going where I feel like it. And when I get bored I will just head to a "real campsite".

Old 08-29-2017, 11:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Clipper View Post
Those are the places I am heading towards. I like the frikkin desert. I am just going where I feel like it. And when I get bored I will just head to a "real campsite".

Old 08-29-2017, 11:23 AM   #18

Oregon sounds nice, and I would love to stay in the desert (In winter when its not too hot) I have an allergy to the sun that makes me melt when the thermometer hits 90 degrees.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:29 AM   #19

Slab city is a cool place, but I hear you can run into some shady characters, but also into some pretty cool hippies!
Old 08-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #20
Skoolie

I'm only staying where I don't have to run my air. I will stay in Oregon until it gets crappy and head south. I am stopping in Lake Havasu and then heading to Ehrenburg. Then from there I will just play it by ear.
And slab city is like any other place just be smart about it. Plus I am a bit of s shady character myself so I should fit in.

Tags
florida, living cost, parking