Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2017, 06:48 PM   #1
Skoolie

12 volt questions

My shuttle bus has a wheelchair ramp and an extra battery. It also has 12 volt plugins at each seat. Wood changing the batteries two deep cycle batteries and adding more batteries be enough to Boondock for a few days without running the bus?

Gypsy Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:49 PM   #2
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Clipper View Post
My shuttle bus has a wheelchair ramp and an extra battery. It also has 12 volt plugins at each seat. Wood changing the batteries two deep cycle batteries and adding more batteries be enough to Boondock for a few days without running the bus?
Also could I use small inverters at each 12 volt plug in to run a few small AC appliances?
Old 09-30-2017, 06:51 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
This is a "How long is a piece of string?" question.

This article (not by me) is a great place to start working out your power needs:

Electrical System Design | FarOutRide

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:59 PM   #4
Skoolie

OK. For the sake of ending this constant over thinking. My power needs are minor. For major power hogs such as air conditioning I will use a generator. I'm talking to run all of my electronic stuff and some fairy lights.
And even if I wanted to run something huge wouldn't the battery bank from the truck be able to run a 5000 watt inverter if it were running?
Old 09-30-2017, 07:32 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
OK. For the sake of ending this constant over thinking. My power needs are minor. For major power hogs such as air conditioning I will use a generator. I'm talking to run all of my electronic stuff and some fairy lights.
And even if I wanted to run something huge wouldn't the battery bank from the truck be able to run a 5000 watt inverter if it were running?
Planning for your needs is not "over-thinking". It's doing the right amount of thinking and preparation.

If you wing it, you will either spend too much money or run out of power just when you need it most.

Spend a few hours doing the calculations, it could save you a fortune (and a 5000W inverter is not cheap).

5kW, by the way, would power many homes Your batteries wouldn't last long driving that beast!

A 200 Amp alternator produces around 2400W, and some of that is required to run the bus and charge the batteries. So if you put a 5000W inverter in the system, you would be draining the battery fast, and probably killing the alternator.

If your needs are very modest, you could probably run it all from 12V, and a couple of deep-cycle batteries would last several days.

Build Thread
Old 09-30-2017, 07:34 PM   #6
Skoolie

Seriously quit it. If you don't have an answer then don't reply. What is it to you if I spend a million dollars? You my mom?
Old 09-30-2017, 07:42 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Sorry but seriously, you need to ask a specific enough question to get a useful answer.

List the devices you want to run, for average how many hours per day.

How will you be recharging the bank?

Then we can give opinions on how big the bank needs to be.

Some people thing running a little fridge or a bunch of fans is a small load, others mean one smartphone and a clip-on LED light.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:45 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Do you plan to use solar?

Carry a gennie?

How long driving spells, how many days stationary?

How many days between shore power?
Old 09-30-2017, 07:46 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Seriously quit it. If you don't have an answer then don't reply. What is it to you if I spend a million dollars? You my mom?
I gave you an accurate, and helpful answer.

I won't give you any more.

You're welcome.

Build Thread
Old 09-30-2017, 07:51 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
Quote:

I would consider separate systems for your living needs and starting your bus. If you accidentally leave something on or just miscalculated your usage your bus won't start! At that point you will need a jump start.....
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:20 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Something tells me I'm going to have to pdf " basic dc electricity for dummies"

Lets talk power it's measured in watts just like its sold. To determine run time figure total wattage then divide by 12 gives you amperage draw. Get amp hours of battery times number of batteries then divide by draw and you get hours of run time. Ya think?

Do your own math gypsy LoL

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:22 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Do you have the space and springs for a forklift battery?

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:34 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Here is a good discussion on loads, batteries and solar: https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:28 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Handy Bob is excellent, but a bit 'dogmatic' on some issues. Don't take *all* of it as gospel without getting second opinions.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:47 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
This is a "How long is a piece of string?" question.

This article (not by me) is a great place to start working out your power needs:

Electrical System Design | FarOutRide
Thank you for posting this article! It's exactly what I've been looking for as a basic, "this-is-what-works-for-us" primer that's short on theory and heavy on real-world practicality. This gives me a start, something I can actually work with in designing my system.
Drew Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:28 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
That write-up from FarOutRide really is pretty good. I opened it with low expectations, but even from the viewpoint of an electrical engineer, I think they did a great job of considering a variety of alternatives and making choices that balanced the trade-offs and met their wants/needs well.

It surprised me to see they chose the inverter-and-charger route for charging the house battery off the van's system. That's an approach I've floated here a couple times too. At first glance it seems a dumb thing to do, but it really does offer some beautiful simplicity, modularity, and serviceability. If the drive time is long relative to the house battery size then the inefficiency of the multiple conversions is unimportant.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:12 PM   #17
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
It surprised me to see they chose the inverter-and-charger route for charging the house battery off the van's system. That's an approach I've floated here a couple times too.
It looks wacky, given the inefficiency of multiple conversions, but yeah, sometimes modular plug and play stuff that "just works" can count for a lot.
lucasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:41 PM   #18
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I would consider separate systems for your living needs and starting your bus. If you accidentally leave something on or just miscalculated your usage your bus won't start! At that point you will need a jump start.....
Is it me? Am I speaking a foreign language? Would you give these bullshit answers to a buddy standing there asking your advice? Do I sound like I need a Mom?
Old 10-02-2017, 06:43 PM   #19
Skoolie

The bus has FOUR batteries. Two for starting it and two for the wheel chair lift. If I take out the wheel chair lift could I use the second system for running a 5000 watt inverter?
Old 10-02-2017, 06:43 PM   #20
Skoolie

Nevermind... honestly you guys are a pain in my ass.