Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2017, 10:25 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I will look into that. A good service station is hard to find...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I like a shop all the way up in Hudson called Feolas.. they did a full service on both my busses... they have various packages you can do.. I didnt have a good place in florida to work on my bus and 1100 miles to hoio was long so I had them do it all.. which I think was like $950, they checked and adjusted brakes, replaced coolant, oil, tranny fluid, diff fluid, fuel filters, trans filter, air filter(actually on red bus they deducted air filter stating mine was nearly new already).. they did a bunch of stuff... you can choose any or all... they seem like good peoiple there..
-Christopher

Old 06-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Dog rescuer-

The classic symptoms of a failing camshaft position sensor is an engine that "hiccups" momentarily then runs normally, stalls out completely then can be restarted at the side of the road or stalls and can't be restarted. The CPS is located at the front of the motor and is fairly easy to replace. The conventional wisdom is to get the International replacement, not an aftermarket part. The CPS is a known weak link in this engine.

If it dies then can be quickly restarted suspect the CPS. If it dies and you can't crank the engine (like a dead battery) it's something else.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:38 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the CPS should set a WARN light from what I read, if it shows no signal.. I think thats also in the navistar version where the tach gets its signal too.. so if the engine feels like its stalling but still "spinning" and your tach dumps to zero instantly, then this very could be the issue... great call!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:42 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

In a Ford a dead tach is confirmation of a bad CPS also. Mine went bad just this weekend so I'm VERY familiar with the symptoms. Of course, mine has no tach so I was guessing what was wrong at first. About 30 "hiccups" and three dead stalls later we got home but it was a white knuckle drive.

The "service engine soon" light came on after a while then went out for a while then back on again. My cheapo OBDII scanner showed no stored codes even with the SES light on so I dropped it off at Ford for confirmation of my 7.3L troubleshooting skills. Should know by tomorrow for sure but I'd bet a bunch on the CPS being toast.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:39 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

yeah, take the gravel road from wolf creek back over to china flats south of powers, then over lampa mountain to bandon...
Old 06-21-2017, 04:05 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

The dealer just called and they're replacing the injector pressure regulator. I told them to replace the CPS also. I'd hate to get a mile off the road and find out my original hunch was the right one.