Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-18-2018, 07:33 PM   #1
Skoolie
 
ComfortEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 223
Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: Cat 3208/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 2 Humans + 2 Chihuahuas
2017 Chevy Volt Battery Pack

Although I am early in the build of our 1986 Gillig Phantom, I picked this up on Saturday. It's a 360V 18.4kWh lithium ion pack from a 2017 Volt. The car was an IIHS crash test car that had 270 miles on it. Since I know folks will ask, I paid $4500 for the pack.

While they can be found for less, I was willing to pay a premium for what is basically a brand new pack close enough for an easy local pick up. Additionally I was considering buying at least 5 LiFePO4 100Ah batts, and at $850 and up per batt, IMO the Volt pack was a bargain even at the premium I may have paid... FWIW, the yard I got it from had one more batt pack available with the same pedigree.







The three sections contain seven total "battery packs". four of the battery packs are 48V and the other three are 64V.




18.4kWh of Lithium Glory...


My plan is to use every bit of this batt to set up an 18.4kWh 48V battery bank for the bus. The batteries are made up of 4V modules wired in series, so the 48V batts have 12 modules while the 64V batts have 16 modules.

I intend to isolate the last 4 (or first 4) modules of the three 64V batts bringing them down to 48V. I will then wire the 3 sets of isolated modules together, effectively creating one more 48V batt.

In the below photo, the "X" represent the four 48V batts, and the thick piece of tape represents the three 64V batts. The sections between the blue lines represent the 3 sections to be isolated from 64V batts. I haven't seen anyone use this method but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Most solar uses of Chevy Volt batts I've seen are with the previous gen Volt batt which has a different configuration...


Cutting the copper busbar marked with a Sharpie will isolate the 4 cells below .


I have lots of work to do before I even think about actually installing this system, but I will continue to update as I build and learn. Did I mention it's 18.4kWh...?
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:15 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That's very interesting. Thanks for putting this online. I've often wondered why these batteries wern't being used more. By time I checked into it a few years back these battery packs were up to about $2,500. My understanding was that this type of battery was considerably more delicate to take care of than standard acid or agm batteries.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:33 PM   #3
Bus Nut
 
Jdawgsfanasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
Although I am early in the build of our 1986 Gillig Phantom, I picked this up on Saturday. It's a 360V 18.4kWh lithium ion pack from a 2017 Volt. The car was an IIHS crash test car that had 270 miles on it. Since I know folks will ask, I paid $4500 for the pack.

While they can be found for less, I was willing to pay a premium for what is basically a brand new pack close enough for an easy local pick up. Additionally I was considering buying at least 5 LiFePO4 100Ah batts, and at $850 and up per batt, IMO the Volt pack was a bargain even at the premium I may have paid... FWIW, the yard I got it from had one more batt pack available with the same pedigree.







The three sections contain seven total "battery packs". four of the battery packs are 48V and the other three are 64V.




18.4kWh of Lithium Glory...


My plan is to use every bit of this batt to set up an 18.4kWh 48V battery bank for the bus. The batteries are made up of 4V modules wired in series, so the 48V batts have 12 modules while the 64V batts have 16 modules.

I intend to isolate the last 4 (or first 4) modules of the three 64V batts bringing them down to 48V. I will then wire the 3 sets of isolated modules together, effectively creating one more 48V batt.

In the below photo, the "X" represent the four 48V batts, and the thick piece of tape represents the three 64V batts. The sections between the blue lines represent the 3 sections to be isolated from 64V batts. I haven't seen anyone use this method but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Most solar uses of Chevy Volt batts I've seen are with the previous gen Volt batt which has a different configuration...


Cutting the copper busbar marked with a Sharpie will isolate the 4 cells below .


I have lots of work to do before I even think about actually installing this system, but I will continue to update as I build and learn. Did I mention it's 18.4kWh...?
There's a YT skoolie with a power pack similar...https://youtu.be/LV8fyzOTjsk

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:58 PM   #4
Skoolie
 
ComfortEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 223
Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: Cat 3208/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 2 Humans + 2 Chihuahuas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
My understanding was that this type of battery was considerably more delicate to take care of than standard acid or agm batteries.
Delicate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
There's a YT skoolie with a power pack similar...https://youtu.be/LV8fyzOTjsk
I have been following this build. IIRC, they are using two sets of Nissan Leaf batteries to the tune of ~25kWh, unbelievable. The attention to detail in their electrical system is impressive. I am considering mimicking their mini-split install.
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:12 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
Delicate?



I have been following this build. IIRC, they are using two sets of Nissan Leaf batteries to the tune of ~25kWh, unbelievable. The attention to detail in their electrical system is impressive. I am considering mimicking their mini-split install.
Doesn't that type of battery have coolant pipes going through them with heaters to keep them from freezing? From what I understand it's considerably more compicated to keep that type of battery alive compared to concentional batteries.

I'm not electrically minded. I like the size/power of those batteries you bought. Maintaining them just seemed complicated. Now that they've gotten so expensive it's getting simply cheaper to go the other way in a vehicle that doesn't mind the extra weight of lead acid batteries.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:49 PM   #6
Skoolie
 
ComfortEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 223
Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: Cat 3208/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 2 Humans + 2 Chihuahuas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Doesn't that type of battery have coolant pipes going through them with heaters to keep them from freezing? From what I understand it's considerably more compicated to keep that type of battery alive compared to concentional batteries.

I'm not electrically minded. I like the size/power of those batteries you bought. Maintaining them just seemed complicated. Now that they've gotten so expensive it's getting simply cheaper to go the other way in a vehicle that doesn't mind the extra weight of lead acid batteries.
Maintenance free; no need to use the cooling system in a climate controlled compartment.

Lead acid is not cheaper. While upfront costs for Lithium is higher than lead acid, the life cycle cost for Lithium makes it a bargain in the long run, and the performance is far superior.

As for the Volt pack versus buying individual LiFePO4 batteries, it would take ~15 100Ah LiFePO4 batteries to equal the power of the Volt pack. At $850 a piece that would cost over $13K.

I swear I'm not making this stuff up...
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:53 PM   #7
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 735
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
I had a leaf, the battery heater does not come on until close to zero degrees F, leaf batteries are not liguid cooled, do not think the volts are either
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:34 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I'm electrically challenged, so I'm just trying to learn something here about these batteries that I've always been interested in. It makes sense that those are some of the most durable batteries available.

My understanding was that the coolant was actually to keep the battery pack from freezing. I don't remember what that battery pack came out of. If coolant was necessary in your set of batteries you'd be well aware of it by now.

I'll be looking for a deal on this type of battery pack but they likely won't be new. It's not going to be cheap anyway I look at it.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:55 AM   #9
Bus Crazy
 
joeblack5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: pa
Posts: 1,033
Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford e350 2 mercedes
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Nice find. How many 48 volt module are you putting in parallel? Are you going to use a BMS? Will you connect the corresponding cells per module together so that you can use one 11 cell BMS?

We are reverse engineering the existing volt bms so that we can use it as 48 volt BMS system per module in our electric solectria car.
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:20 AM   #10
Skoolie
 
ComfortEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 223
Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: Cat 3208/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 2 Humans + 2 Chihuahuas
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Nice find. How many 48 volt module are you putting in parallel?
The plan is to have eight 48V battery modules. Re-read the part of the post above with the blue tape pic. If it doesn't make sense please let me know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Are you going to use a BMS?
Yes, I am currently trying to get smarter on BMS. An REC brand BMS looks like a strong possibility but I need to get way smarter before I make any buying decisions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
We are reverse engineering the existing volt bms so that we can use it as 48 volt BMS system per module in our electric solectria car.
What gen Volt system? I am very interested in this. Is there a link where I can learn more about your efforts?

ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.