Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2019, 08:57 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 466e
Rated Cap: its Yuge
97 International 3800 remove switches / lights

Would like to try to redo my switch panel for the bus, have some questions if anybody has experience.

Wondering if i need any of the small lights, on the panel, not sure what they do?
Is it a possibility that any of them will blink or have some type of engine code that i need to be concerned about? or are they just indicators that something is on?

I have heard that it isn't great to get rid of wires, but this is a mess.
I am only using about half of the switches now, and not sure i need any of the lights.

For those of you that do remove wires, how do you go about it? how do you
deal with the ones that go into the plastic connector pieces?

Thanks,
dave

MambaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:05 PM   #2
Bus Nut

forgot pics
Attached Thumbnails
20190323_174002.jpg   20190323_173942.jpg  
Old 03-23-2019, 09:07 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
They make a tool to remove the metal end from the plastic socket. Ore cut them short and heat shrink the end.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:02 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I keep the wires running front to back and up into the header panels, they might come in handy if you need to add a light or fan or such you have a wire there. I capped mine off rolled them up and tied them out of the way. Most of the pilot lamps on a 97 are just school lights, though the heater pump or heated mirrors might have a pilot lamp so you don’t forget and leave them on forever. Your ECM codes come up on the cluster , if you have an MD Allison trans It will have a check trans light also in. The cluster. You can delete several switches just for school light related stuff.. again I saved the wires
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:38 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I keep the wires running front to back and up into the header panels, they might come in handy if you need to add a light or fan or such you have a wire there. I capped mine off rolled them up and tied them out of the way. Most of the pilot lamps on a 97 are just school lights, though the heater pump or heated mirrors might have a pilot lamp so you don’t forget and leave them on forever. Your ECM codes come up on the cluster , if you have an MD Allison trans It will have a check trans light also in. The cluster. You can delete several switches just for school light related stuff.. again I saved the wires
I'm debating keeping the stock dome lights as I will have lights with switches in their locations. Should I keep some controlled from the cockpit? Where can we get labels for these switches? I think I am going to drill a forward rib and run any wires needed on that side through, instead of them running all the way down the drivers side, across the rear, and then all the way to the front for a speaker and a dome light. A lot of wasted wire.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:17 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Mine seem to have more direct routes , there a chase going up behind the driver window, some go up and back others up and forward, none go back around and forward on mine, dome lights are a preference really, my busses are unconverted so I have all the dome lights but used school light wires for other things.. A/C sensors on my one bus.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:38 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Mine also has a couple of wires and the window washing fluid tube that comes up right behind the front window. Drivers side