Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International FE
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84 passengers
'99 AmTran FE Turn Signals Quit Working

Hey everyone,

I was out driving my bus tonight and both the left and right turn signals quit working. However, hazard lights still work. Do you think it could be a fuse or a relay that is causing my issue? If so, I'm not exactly sure where I should look for it. Under the dash? Inside the fuse box? I looked over the fuse box briefly and didn't spot anything that my yellow (left signal) and green (right signal) wires were coming out of. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
rensch26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:49 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Probably it's the flasher. might be in or near your fuse panel, not sure.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:52 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Hello Matt

I just found my fuse panel a couple days ago. We don't have the same bus but maybe they're in the same place. On the back of my dashboard instrument panel there is a plate on the back side of the gage cluster that comes off exposing the fuse panel.

Getting to know your bus.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:54 PM   #4
Skoolie

I found the flasher. It was under the dash inside another small fuse box. I've been doing a little research and I recently switched a bunch of my turn signals to LED and from what I understand the LEDs won't generate enough amperage to activate the flasher. I will try to mess with it a little more tomorrow and see if I can get it fixed.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:21 PM   #5
Bus Geek

I remember hearing about this problem once before. My eyes glaze over when people start talking electronics, so naturally I don't remember the fix. I'm betting the answer shows up sometime tomorrow.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:45 AM   #6
Skoolie

I tried swapping the 20A fuse for the turn signals with another 20A fuse nearby and that didn't solve the turn signal problem and the hazard lights still work. I stopped at Autozone this morning to grab a flasher and I ordered one that is supposedly compatible with LEDs and that should be in tomorrow. I picked up a really cheap flasher while I was in the store that said it was compatible with LEDs and incandescents and it didn't fix the turn signals either. I flipped on the hazards and the frequency that they flashed increased versus the flasher that was in there. So I'm not sure I will put much thought into that cheap flasher not solving the problem. I may try swapping some incandscent bulbs back in for some LEDs and see if that creates enough resistance to activate the flasher again.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:32 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I'm a total electro-dunce but have read that LED tail lights and turn signals need the special LED flasher. Explanation I saw said something about the fact they use so little current (?).
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:55 AM   #8
Skoolie

Hi Tango, yeah that is essentially what I have read too. I tried a cheap flasher this morning but it had no effect. I ordered a name brand LED compatible flasher to the store for pickup tomorrow so I'll see if that solves the issue. In the meantime I'll install some incandescents and see if I can get the turn signals to work again.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:33 PM   #9
Skoolie

I tried swapping two left turn signal LEDs with two incandescents and still could not get the turn signal to work. I tried the original flasher and the cheap one I bought this morning. Hazards still work. I tried swapping the 20A fuse for the turn signals with another one nearby and that didn't work either. I'm at a loss of what to try next. Anyone have any suggestions? I may try to take a look at the turn signal stalk on the steering column. I would find it odd that both the left and right turn signals quit working at the same time.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:50 PM   #10
Bus Geek

It sounds like you're getting close to having your turn signals working again. A lot of us need to know the solution to this problem.

Meanwhile you can always stick your left arm out the window at turns.