Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2019, 08:54 PM   #41
Bus Geek

I've worked teaching English

and can't figure out the meaning of your post.

john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:44 PM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I've worked teaching English

and can't figure out the meaning of your post.
English teacher? This new millenial generation must make you want to kill yourself doesn't it?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:59 PM   #43
Almost There

I know im new, but its pretty disrespectful of you to act like that. There was nothing wrong with his post. If you want to be petty its pretty rude to carry on unrelated conversations in someones specific thread like you have been.

The topic is ac vs dc generation from a generator. Not battery charging technicalities, not solar, nor is it vharge controllers.
Iqinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:12 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iqinsanity View Post
I know im new, but its pretty disrespectful of you to act like that. There was nothing wrong with his post. If you want to be petty its pretty rude to carry on unrelated conversations in someones specific thread like you have been.

The topic is ac vs dc generation from a generator. Not battery charging technicalities, not solar, nor is it vharge controllers.
Don't know who you are referring to, but it sounds as though you're experience on the internet is going to be quite disasppointing.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:14 PM   #45
Almost There

John, acting like the dc before batteries comment is somehow intelligible.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:15 PM   #46
Bus Geek

I was indicating that I quite literally could not extract their meaning.

Perhaps a typo, I dunno
Old 07-09-2019, 09:16 PM   #47
Almost There

Converting back and forth between ac and dc before the batteries is inefficient.

Not trying to be rude but it was pretty obvious.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:35 PM   #48
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I missed it as well, so perhaps not so obvious.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:39 PM   #49
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Too bad Google Translate doesn't interpret electrical shorthand.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:49 PM   #50
Almost There

Anyway, I decided on a DC based system. Which really just means a DC generator I guess. I have a Leece-Neville 48v 90 amp alternator off a John Deere 2500e in the Mail I got from eBay. It’s a nice alternator because it’s designed to run batteryless which I assume means it runs at a high duty cycle without issue.

As far as an engine, I have a line on a few yanmar 3cyl diesels locally. Haven’t decided if I want a “66” “70” “76” or “78” though. There’s a decent looking “70” close by and I hope to take a look before it sells.

All in all I’m looking at $1000 total between the two for 5kw of dc power. Used 5000w 120v military diesel generators go for 3000 so I’d say it’s a decent deal for sure.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:12 PM   #51
Almost There

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000-8 Window
Engine: Cumm ISB/Allison 2000
If you are still looking at 48v Air Conditioning units, there is a 12k btu unit that does not need converting from marine life. To me it's a little pricey.

https://www.hotspotenergy.com/DC-air-conditioner/
jofred99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:26 PM   #52
Almost There

I’m not sure about A/C units.

I’m still deep in the planning phase of a build, don’t own a bus or anything. But I’m serious about it and I picked electrical to start buying equipment for. I figure if for whatever reason the plan switched to one of those tiny homes on a trailer, the electrical system would still be the same.

And it would be “fun” to build a little generator that I can play around with until I get the big toy.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:35 AM   #53
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Indeed it would!
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:22 PM   #54
Almost There

I am so lucky, apparently the 56v version of my alternator is the exact same alternator with a different regulator and after 20+ emails with the manufacturer and some of their distributors I literally have the last regular on the planet that the manufacturer had.

Now to see if a fixed 56v power supply can charge a lifepo4 battery adequately. I don’t care if I get 90% charge or whatever. As long as the battery will function reliably.

Oh, and both Yanmar’s that I’m looking at are still available as of today. So it looks promising that at least one will be there next Friday when I get paid.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:10 AM   #55
Almost There

The 12.5kw (mechanical) engine is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I can’t actually start it once t gets here due to living in an apartment and not owning a truck but it’s finally seeming more real. Alternator- owned, engine- on its way, serpentine pulley replacements for the v belt water pump and crank- ordered. Once I have the inverter it’ll be fully functional seeing how the alternator is 100% duty cycle rated and shouldn’t need a battery.

Now how to “spend” my other 7kw of output. Another alternator? A air conditioning compressor? York ac compressor setup for compressed air? All of the above?

That’s the real beauty, no bull crap mass produced single use piece of equipment but a custom tailored power plant designed to take on as many tasks as I can need. I haven’t even gotten to discussing the use of the coolant as radiant floor heat.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:41 PM   #56
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Once I have the inverter it’ll be fully functional seeing how the alternator is 100% duty cycle rated and shouldn’t need a battery.

Let us know how that works out for you.?

One recommendation : carry lots of fire extinguishers.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:08 PM   #57
Bus Geek

I don't even understand what that's supposed to be about.

What alternator doesn't need at least a cheap lead batt to prevent load dumps, frying its diodes?
Old 10-20-2019, 03:50 PM   #58
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
I am so lucky, apparently the 56v version of my alternator is the exact same alternator with a different regulator and after 20+ emails with the manufacturer and some of their distributors I literally have the last regular on the planet that the manufacturer had.

Now to see if a fixed 56v power supply can charge a lifepo4 battery adequately. I don’t care if I get 90% charge or whatever. As long as the battery will function reliably.

Oh, and both Yanmar’s that I’m looking at are still available as of today. So it looks promising that at least one will be there next Friday when I get paid.
you have an idea going and i wont discourage it but a little advice if you dont mind?
you are looking at and getting deals on things?
good.
now for your alternator? you talked to the manufacturer and are getting the last one made? what is your replacement when it fails?
with your entire idea of building your own electrical system i say go for it but where in the world would your 12kw gennie fit on a bus? unless you trailer it?
my build with 12v lights and electric heat and a dorm fridge at our stage can run can run off of a 2000 watt gennie. most use a 6-8000 watt generator not anywhere close to a KW GENERATOR.
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DECISIONS.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:01 PM   #59
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
WHAT I originally meant to say was there is not a single alternator out there that ever needed a battery? the battery needed the alternator to charge it? maybe technology has changed and i am to old school?
but it was always the battery needed the alternator to charge it?
unless there was an alternate source to charge the start batteries because the alternator only charges if the engine it is connected to is running?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:04 PM   #60
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
you have an idea going and i wont discourage it but a little advice if you dont mind?
you are looking at and getting deals on things?
good.
now for your alternator? you talked to the manufacturer and are getting the last one made? what is your replacement when it fails?
with your entire idea of building your own electrical system i say go for it but where in the world would your 12kw gennie fit on a bus? unless you trailer it?
my build with 12v lights and electric heat and a dorm fridge at our stage can run can run off of a 2000 watt gennie. most use a 6-8000 watt generator not anywhere close to a KW GENERATOR.
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DECISIONS.

Ok, I'm new, so I will take one for the team.

1000 watts is one kilowatt

Have a great day all

Steve
Firepuncher is offline   Reply With Quote