Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2019, 04:21 PM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
thanks for the info.
i never knew that.
but a 12kw generator is still a big piece to make fit and a hybrid system trying to use parts of the last alternator made? unobtainium parts?
i would advise the OP to look at using more obtainable parts for his area.

Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:44 PM   #62
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
thanks for the info.
i never knew that.
but a 12kw generator is still a big piece to make fit and a hybrid system trying to use parts of the last alternator made? unobtainium parts?
i would advise the OP to look at using more obtainable parts for his area.
No problem man, Canada is part of the metric world.

I agree, as soon as I read it would be the last alternator of the type in existence. "Danger Will Robinson" I was in charge of engineering maintenance for a few years in the Navy and remember a few times talking to a warehouse manager telling me, sorry I just shipped the last oil pump in existence for that turbine to another ship. Ugh

I definitely want a backup, on hand for something that rare and critical

Steve
Firepuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:20 PM   #63
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepuncher View Post
No problem man, Canada is part of the metric world.

I agree, as soon as I read it would be the last alternator of the type in existence. "Danger Will Robinson" I was in charge of engineering maintenance for a few years in the Navy and remember a few times talking to a warehouse manager telling me, sorry I just shipped the last oil pump in existence for that turbine to another ship. Ugh

I definitely want a backup, on hand for something that rare and critical

Steve
I would have checked on availability of wear parts for that last alternator. If they were available now I would buy the alternator and a supply of spare wear parts if the alternator was the answer to the issue.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:49 PM   #64
Almost There

Prestolite Leece Neville 4417jb alternator on a John Deere 2500e hybrid greens mower. To answer the question of what alternator is designed to run without a battery.

As far as it being the last alternator, I never said that. I said it was the last 56v regulator. Regulators can be built even if it’s a pain to do so. I have 2 spare sets of brushes, and diodes are diodes. Replacing them isn’t that big of a deal. So as long as I don’t fry the actual windings then I’m good. Even then eBay will have used ones from time to time and Chinese knock offs all the time.
Iqinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:24 PM   #65
Almost There

Also, the discontinued alternator does have a modern replacement. I chose not to go with it because I got the 4417jb for under $200 used off eBay.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:34 PM   #66
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iqinsanity View Post
Also, the discontinued alternator does have a modern replacement. I chose not to go with it because I got the 4417jb for under $200 used off eBay.
So you're just messing with us, LoL. Kidding of course. Definitely better direction then

Thanks

Steve
Firepuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:00 PM   #67
Bus Geek

Quote:
a 6-8000 watt generator not anywhere close to a KW GENERATOR
That is 6-8 kW right there.

I've seen alternators put out 16kW, yes very big and heavy, but designed to fit the engine compartment.

Recharge a depleted 800Ah LFP bank in about an hour's drive that will. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:04 PM   #68
Bus Geek

Quote:
WHAT I originally meant to say was there is not a single alternator out there that ever needed a battery? the battery needed the alternator to charge it
Batteries don't care where their charge input comes from, it's just volts and amps.

But an alternator needs **something** to buffer the circuit as stated above.

And some sort of battery is certainly the normal, simplest, cheapest way even an old $30 one.

And I have to ask, why **wouldn't** you want a good storage bank?

Describe your imagined use case, I'm curious!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:46 PM   #69
Almost There

Of course I want a battery to spread the load. No one wants spikes of energy creating instant high loads.

But tell me, how do I charge a 48v battery with an alternator that makes 48v? Can’t be done. The 56v regulator should do it. But I need a better plan that hoping that the regulator will never die. Yes I can make a new one, but that’s not easy.

So if hooking an inverter directly to the alternator and using that 220v output as the generator source for another inverter charger isn’t the best option, what is?

By converting to 220v and letting an inverter charger charge the battery I can create a semi stable load.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:53 PM   #70
Almost There

All this sounds complicated but it’s really not.

Motor spins alternator
Alternator powers inverter
Inverter acts as shore power to feed house inverter/charger

As far as where would I put it? Basically in the same spot people put their under carriage storage. The height of the yanmar diesel isn’t much taller than a propane tank. They are relatively compact motors. With how much custom work it takes to build a bus I’m honestly surprised I was even asked this question. Obviously the answer is “I will build a spot for it”.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:43 PM   #71
Almost There

My friend just picked up my sae 5 bellhousing to hook up a generator head, ive already drilled and tapped the flywheel for a sae 6.5 pattern. I’m not sure when I’ll get a generator head there’s one locally for $450 for a 6kw brushless Leroy one but it looks old and since I still can’t start my motor I won’t be able to test it for quite some time.

But progress is being made, I’m now $2000 into this generator before a head, but I still find it to be a good deal for 100 amps of 48v, 150 amps of 12v and up to 6kw of 120/220 should I actually get the gen head in the future. Obviously I can’t run everything at max at the same time because the motor won’t put that kind of power out at 1800 rpm but options, options, options.