Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2018, 12:05 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: myself
Chassis: amtran
Engine: international dt466e allison md 3060
Rated Cap: 13 ton or so says the tit
Alternatir to battery charger

Can anyone direct me to that thread that talks about tapping my alternator to keep my solar battery bank charged?

Dead pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:08 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
What is the voltage of your battery bank?

I am going to use something like this:

https://www.invertersupply.com/index...RoCZyIQAvD_BwE

They make them in 25,40and 70 amps versions and allow charging a 24 volt battery bank from a 12 volt source.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:09 PM   #3
Bus Nut

12 volt. I'm on a 30 amp charge controller
Old 09-06-2018, 12:18 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Then an isolator like this:
https://www.victronenergy.com/batter...tery-isolators

Will do the job.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:57 PM   #5
Bus Nut

It will allow me to run my invertor while driving? I need it to charge fast, but not when the bank is low. Then it needs to charge slower.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:21 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead pirate View Post
It will allow me to run my invertor while driving? I need it to charge fast, but not when the bank is low. Then it needs to charge slower.
Depends on the alternator, wiring and inverter.

Lots of variables. Hard to answer without more information.

One thing to keep in mind, if you want your batteries to last, you need to charge you need to charge them carefully. Not too fast (boil electrolyte) or too slow (sulfating).

A great resource for solar, battery/charging and inverter information is: www.solarplneltalk.com

Two of my favorites:

https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...your-batteries

https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...-size-tutorial
Old 09-06-2018, 02:38 PM   #7
Bus Nut

I'm familiar with most of that information. I'm just trying to run my 2000w invertor (full wave) with my alternator. Some kind of voltage regulator is called for.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:42 PM   #8
Bus Nut

I'm trying to look it up, but without the right nomenclature all i get is how to test your voltage regulator or alternator
Old 09-06-2018, 05:11 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
I'm familiar with most of that information. I'm just trying to run my 2000w invertor (full wave) with my alternator. Some kind of voltage regulator is called for.
I keep typing and erasing my reply. What I am really trying to say, in the nicest way, if you were familiar with "most of that information" you probably would not have asked that question. Do me a favor and at least read: https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...-size-tutorial

To start with, I would not recommend running a 2000 watt inverter on 12 volts.

If you apply Ohm's law you will find that a 2000 watt inverter, at full load, will draw at least 167 Amps.

How long are the cables going to be between your chassis battery and the inverter? Max distance, if you run 00 cable, is about 20'.

What is your alternator rated at?

What do you need a "voltage regulator"? I am assuming that your existing alternator has one already.

By "full wave" I am guessing that you mean "Pure Sine Wave". Is that correct?
Old 09-06-2018, 05:44 PM   #10
Bus Nut

I was trying to be brief, but i will elaborate. My battery bank is located right next to the invertor (maybe 12 inches) I am using 10 g wires.
Im am not intending to go from my chassis batteries. I am planning on coming directly from the alternator. Which is rated at 260 amps.
I used the term voltage regulator incorrectly. Probably why i was having a hard time googling the appropriate item. I should have used the (?) Symbol.
Pure sine wave. Hahahaha. Not modified.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:46 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Oops. Correction. 360 amp alternator
Old 09-06-2018, 08:10 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
I was trying to be brief, but i will elaborate. My battery bank is located right next to the invertor (maybe 12 inches) I am using 10 g wires.
Im am not intending to go from my chassis batteries. I am planning on coming directly from the alternator. Which is rated at 260 amps.
I used the term voltage regulator incorrectly. Probably why i was having a hard time googling the appropriate item. I should have used the (?) Symbol.
Pure sine wave. Hahahaha. Not modified.
Well.....

With 10 gauge wire connecting your alternator to your inverter you can run as connections as long as 19 inches without exceeding acceptable voltage drop.

I am afraid that you have some unmanageable expectations.

I was a licensed electrician for some years. I have wired bus conversions and installed solar. I am happy to share information with you but only if you are willing to listen.

My first piece of advice: Go to Forums - Solar Panels - Solar Panels Forum and read the stickies that I referenced. Don't stop there. Plenty of opportunity to learn on that site.

Lots of people on that site that are VERY sharp on the solar/battery/charging/inverter subjects. Lots of them way smarter than I am. One of the mods is an MSEE with a strong solar background.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:46 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Im aware that my current system is within parameters. I have a friend who is a union electrician that helped with the specs. on the build. Maybe I'm asking the wrong question. Or wording wrong. I wasn't going to use 10g between the alternator and the invertor. I was inquiring as to what it would take to use my diesel as a generator and a battery charger. It would also have to charge under load.
I will follow that link and absorb the information. My intention wasn't to alienate or posture like i was anything but seeking helpor information. In the future i will be more concise and not assume others level of comprehension.
I live in a bus that is on the road 24/7. I'm trying to make it more efficient. We have been on the road for 3 years in this bus. I've been on the road for 35 years. And there is plenty left to learn.
I am always willing to listen.
I can do the math and conversions. The name of the piece of equiptment and the function is serves is my query.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:14 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
The there is also this:

https://www.sterling-power-usa.com/s...rycharger.aspx

Search the forum for sterling. There are several threads related to you question. You are looking fora DC to DC charger.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:24 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
The there is also this:

https://www.sterling-power-usa.com/s...rycharger.aspx

Search the forum for sterling. There are several threads related to you question. You are looking fora DC to DC charger.

Ted
Thanks ted.
That's exactly what I'm trying to find.
I a found thistoo.https://www.etrailer.com/qs/161643SC.
Im pretty sure I'm getting close to what i need. Thanks again
Old 09-07-2018, 10:18 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Oops. Correction. 360 amp alternator
I am not doing solar, so lots of the info I have seen doesn't apply to me.

I bought 12 x 6 volt batteries this summer and my son made the cables for them, and I realize that while we needed to choose and measure the batteries this summer to plan and build the box, that we should not have BOUGHT the batteries as they are just going to be sitting around. They are FLA, all manufactured the same date from the same place and have never been hooked up to anything, but it's too late to return them.

1) where and how should I store the batteries til next summer?

2) What maintenance, if any, should I do to keep them in top condition? I actually have a freezer that I could keep them with in if keeping them cold would preserve them the best? I know cold isn't good for batteries you are USING, but I have read that it is good for preserving batteries that are being stored. We bought a thermostat for the freezer so it can be used as a fridge. It's currently set to 40 degrees but I assume it can be adjusted if neither freezer nor fridge temp is ideal.

I do not yet have a float charger for my house batteries NOR my starting batteries. Can I use the same one for both? What should I get? My starting battery is one group D 12 volt it weighs about as much as I do, so ideally I need to be able to charge it in situ.

My son has gone back to college and I am now left alone to deal with all these incredibly heavy batteries!! I can get my husband to help me move them *once* I am sure. Partly because that is the only way we are going to be able to park in the garage this winter.

Any advice would be appreciated. Ideally, a very specific recommendation like "buy this product", because I really have no clue about electrical. I know to unhook the starting battery before messing with anything electrical, but that's about it.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:06 PM   #17

True AM works great

This is the Battery Isolator that I've been using for about 2 years and it works great. I've got a 4 battery setup and also have solar connected into the mix at times. http://www.trueam.com/product/true-s...tery-isolator/
bigboomdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:26 PM   #18

Volt sensitive split charger

I found a Volt Sensitive Split Charger to be the best option for me. I never have to mess with the alternator. If you hook one of these up to your engine battery, as soon as it senses that it is being charged it connects to your living batteries and acts as a quick charger. When it senses one battery has dipped below a certain level, it automatically disconnects the batteries to prevent draining. This item is multi directional. It is a cheap option and super easy to install. I've been using this system for over 3 years now and I can't stop raving about it.

Here is an example, but shop around as there are a lot of options.

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Aut...xoCOSUQAvD_BwE
ardenglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:20 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
2Martins - Lead acid batteries like to be at room temperature. Do not freeze them, that will kill them.

Starting batteries are designed to put out a big slug of power to start an engine then be quickly charged by the alternator. Any battery charger designed for autos should work fine for them.

Deep cycle batteries are designed to be slowly discharged then be slowly recharged, ideally by a three stage charger. A small auto battery charger will work for periodic charging but don't leave one hooked up long term unless the charger is a three stage unit.

For long term storage you can use a trickle charger to keep the batteries topped up or check your battery voltage every few weeks and charge them when they get below 12.4 volts or so. Fully charged lead acid batteries are resistant to freezing.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:38 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Some/most isolators need the same types of batteries to work properly. I was having issues with my system and discovered this. I have a flooded chassis battery and agm house. YRMV.
2kool4skool is offline   Reply With Quote