Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #1
Skoolie

Backfeed subpanel or have seperate main

So i have a 30amp in 30a out magnum ms2000. I was talking to solar bob and he said i could use a 30a dpst or spdt (dont remember which it is but it takes up 2 spaces and has 1 switch) as a main by backfeeding it. Im having a hard time with this concept because im not sure how i wire the inverter/converter. I may just buy a main lug that will only have a 30amp breaker unless i can figure this out as the manual shows a main panel. But ac in from shore to charge batteries is where im kinda hung up at. I think this would look like shore power wired to make all breakers hot and the 30amp would run to the inverter/charger to charge batteries. When not on shore the ac out from the inverter would be wired to the same 30amp breaker. Would it get wired at the same place and backfeed the panel to power the other circuits? Also it would seem the 30amp breaker would not be acting as a main breaker that way. I suppose i wouldnt need a main when plugged into shore because unplugging would be my main disconnect and any of the breakers fed from the main would trip if they were exceeded? I am also thinkin that the load center having two bars that alternate connections for the breakers means id have to bond them together so they are both posotive and all breakers that are connected will be fed by a single source? Ive been reading and reading and then stopped for a few month and now finally getting around to it so im trying to recall what im doing here.

Ive got a 6 lug load center and am have a 20amp for air cond, and 3 15s for my other outlets.
No genny, 600 watts solar.
Only 30amp service
6 trojan t105 wired for 12v

The DC im going to homerun to complete my circuits
The inverter/converter calls for grounding to chassis and has an auto transfer switch so ill be grounded to shore when plugged in

I feel like ive got this but tend to overthink things and dont wanna die before i get to enjoy my bus this summer.
I will have an electrician look it over before going live but i want to understand my system and save money so im trying to do it myself.

Thanks in advance for any clarification

I gotta figure out how to post pictures again so i can show you guys my sweet roof rack and solar panel mounts im super excited about

EricW is offline   Reply With Quote