Old 06-30-2016, 07:41 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Hey, I've been down this road before I freaked out a bit at first, but after replacing a fuse or two things were back up and running.
My bus has the T444e, which is the same block as the Powerstroke 7.3l, but I can't promise that the wiring is anything similar. On my bus there are two fuses in sealed fuse holders directly connected to the main positive lead right at the battery. Check those out. Then go through the fuse box inside the vehicle (or under the hood, wherever it is) and test all of the fuses that control the ECM, the VPM and the IDM.
After fixing those I was up and running.

In the future, if you need to disconnect the battery you may be better off removing only one of the leads. That'll make it damn near impossible to reconnect the leads backwards.

I hope all things go well!

Oh, one more thing: if you suspect that the glow plugs aren't lighting then it's probably the glow plug relay, not the plugs themselves. When my relay died on me a couple winters ago I would jump the relay terminals with a screw driver for 15-20 seconds before turning the motor over. Worked like a champ.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:33 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
The E-vans have two fuse boxes - one under the dash on the driver's side and one under the hood near the coolant bottle.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:35 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PigPen View Post
3. The fuse blowing on the IDM should have protected the actual IDM, so that shouldn't be the problem.
I wouldn't take that for granted -- it could be that the fuse blew because something in the IDM failed and drew too much current. I agree with your assessment that it's probably not dead; I'm just disagreeing with the implication that blown fuse=device protected.

Could you loosen the supply tube on a fuel injector? That'll give insight to whether the injection system is developing enough pressure to inject anything. It should squirt vigorously; if it's a weak dribble you might focus on what electrical things can cause injection to be weak.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:19 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
The engine utilizes the HEUI (and Dewey and Louie) injection system, so you can't pop off an injector line. Fuel runs through paths in the head which, as a side note, is good for heating the fuel before injecting. Wvo folks appreciate it, anyhow.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:22 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: E-450
Engine: 7.3 Turbo
Some updates for any of you that are curious!

After following the wires and checking every last one, there wasn't anything obviously wrong. Still no luck.

Our focus turned back to the batteries, but they were measuring charged and ready to go. Out of curiosity, we attached our 95 ford ranger for a bit more juice.

Wouldn't you know, it fired right up! After that, the bus batteries alone could handle the job fine. Weird...

So thinking we were in the clear, we had it out for the day. I'm sure some of you can guess what I'm about to say...

The alternator was blown afterall. An expensive tow later, I'm sitting here trying to decide whether to have the truck shop where the bus is at to put a new one on or to charge the batteries, drive it home and do it myself.

I could save about $100 that way, but I'd have to wait for the part to get shipped and there's the gamble that the bus dies on the 30-minute drive home. I think thats unlikely on a full charge, but another tow would definitely make that a bad deal.

Anyway, moral of the story is that the batteries connected incorrectly caused 1 blown fuse and killed the alternator!
PigPen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, short, terminal