Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2018, 01:16 AM   #1

Question Batteries,electrixal issues just help

I have a 2002 Thomas chevy 3500 express,battery drain, first bus so had no idea it has another battery. So whete is it located?0 I'm sure that battry is draining my new battery, so can I disconnect and only use one bsttery? How many of the 200 pounds of wire can I cut out? The panel above the drivers has a seleinoid looking thing with a fuse box of emergency lights things like that. Do I need them? Any help appreciated. I have my headlights,binkers,tail and brake lights all on switches,soooo??? Any help here with this nitemare of wires and location and possibly ditching the other battery when I locate ut! Thanks!

Simpleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:22 AM   #2
Bus Nut

The first thing I would do is make sure if there's one or two batteries under the hood. (That's one place to find a second one.) The second battery could be tucked under the floor, up by the frame rails. I'd get under it and poke around. (Don't assume it will be easy to find, or even that there will be an access door to it from the side of the bus. People on the forum have found them pretty well hidden before.)

As for the wiring, I would NOT touch any of it yet until you understand what it does. There are LOTS of interconnects in a bus - door interlocks, light interlocks, special buttons and beepers to check that you checked that the bus is empty - read around and search on the forum. A lot of people resorted to tracing the spaghetti one wire at a time.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:17 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Please, unless you thoroughly understand 12V circuits and know exactly what a component is and how it works , don't unhook/cut any wires to anything. We don't need any more "Help my bus won't start after I removed some wiring" posts. It's hard enough to trouble shoot those problems when you have the piece in front of you, when it's 1000 miles away, next to impossible.
You have to know how things operate in order to trouble shoot electrical problems. I find that many people start at the wrong end.

That being said, I would recommend just leaving things in place unless it MUST be removed to make it legal. If you feel you just have to remove some wiring, unhook ONE wire then make sure everything that you need still works.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, chsrging issues, electrical issues, two batteries