Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2017, 03:58 PM   #1

Battery

I have a 03 Ford trans star and the batteries need to be replaced. How do you get off the external battery on the passenger side underneath the bus? All I see is bolts to the frame, will the battery drop when I pull the last bolt? As you probably can tell I no nothing about motors and just bought this bus.
It overheated on the highway, cracked the radiator and now it won't start.
thanks for any help

Johnny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:36 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Some pics will help?
Of the battery compartment and if NO access what leads you to think it is the battery compartment?
Go to ford website or transtar web and type in your VIN and see if you can find some documents.
I myself have never heard of Transtar but there should be direct access to the batteries?
Pics of your bus and the compartment would help all of us help you.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:51 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
I have a 03 Ford trans star and the batteries need to be replaced. How do you get off the external battery on the passenger side underneath the bus? All I see is bolts to the frame, will the battery drop when I pull the last bolt? As you probably can tell I no nothing about motors and just bought this bus.
It overheated on the highway, cracked the radiator and now it won't start.
thanks for any help
I doubt that it will fall anywhere when taking bolts out. It should come on a tray to you as you pull it out.
You are in the wrong place if you don't know anything about motors. Why a bus of all things? You have some major repairs not knowing what is/was going on.

John
Old 12-13-2017, 05:50 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
It's *Probably* an E350 cutaway style bus. Batteries are probably under the hood if it is.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:36 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have an E450 cutaway that may be similar. The batteries are located under the bus just aft of the service door. There is no access panel or pull out.

They are in battery trays very similar to what you would find under the hood in other applications. The trays are bolted to the frame. To remove the batteries in mine you take the battery hold down off and lift the battery high enough to clear the lip on the tray then slide it to the side until it is clear of the tray then lower it down.

Or.... If you are like me, when you need batteries, try to find someplace to buy them that offers free installation......
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote