Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2017, 03:13 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 11
Battery bank help

So, I have a alternator, three starter batteries, a battery isolator , 6 deep cycle AGM batteries then a 1000 watt inventor.

I did a diagram, it seems like the right order but I have. Arrange my batteries as seen in this photo based on where they will be stored.

I have little idea about the wires connecting the batteries together.

Please help
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5826.jpg   IMG_5825.jpg  

TobinHagler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:12 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
You may find the conversation on Drawing up the entire electrical system to be informative. In post 9 a link was given to a write-up about the surprising impact battery bank topology can have. One of our regulars wrote in post 19 that he adjusted the wiring on his battery bank and noticed an immediate improvement.

As your house bank has 6 batteries, which is not a power of 2, you wouldn't be able to use exactly the approach described above. But you could take the route of making a pair of binding posts and bringing matched cables from every battery to the posts. Or you could do 4 of the batteries in the confusing/balanced way, at least. Or wire them in a parallel chain and take the positive and negative taps off opposite ends. Each approach is a little "less good" than the prior, but we rarely get to do everything in the most optimal way.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, electrical