Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2016, 05:30 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5 speed Manual
Rated Cap: 35
battery bank question

Hey there, wondering if anyone can provide me with some insight or ideas. I recently installed 300 watts of solar panels on the roof of my skoolie. It runs into a MPPT charge controller and then to a 12 volt battery bank (4 6V batteries wired in series then parallel). Then a 2000 watt inverter.

My question is.... Should I go with in line fuses at every link in the chain? Is it necessary to fuses the pv cables going into the charge controller?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:31 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
yes fuse before charge controller, then another going to batteries, then a big one between batteries and inverter. 2000 watt inverter would use a 500 amp fuse. your charge controller manual will have the specs for its protection. good luck
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:23 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Ward?
Engine: 8.2 liter ?
Rated Cap: 24 Passenger
Fuse your sources of power. In your case, a big fuse for the battery bank and a fuse for the solar panels.

Personally, I only fused my battery bank with a 400 amp fuse. I also have a 2000 watt inverter and do not ever expect to draw more than 400 amps from my bank.

I could fuse the panels and charge controller but ehh... I think the charge controller is internally fused at the output. I do have two disconnects... one for the solar panels and one from the battery bank. When I need to service the electrics, I turn them both off and it cuts all power making it service safe.

Ross
rossfree is offline   Reply With Quote