Old 08-15-2016, 04:35 PM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 84
Roach I like your battery box. I stumbled across it awhile ago, but I've read so many build threads that they have blurred together and I couldn't remember where I had seen it. So the two options I'm looking at right now are either building it under part of the sofa in a sealed ventilated (to the outside) box, or buying an under trailer tool box from Northern Tool and mounting it underneath. The one thing I'm worried about in option two is whether or not the tool box can handle the weight of 4 batteries.
Piersg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:41 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Thomas Built Mini, Microbird
Engine: 6.6 Diesel
Rated Cap: 17 pass
pardon me for budging in, this thread is a year old

here comes the but...

but, you guys had some good food for thought in here. i'm wondering how all of your battery box scenarios managed to pan out.

i'm getting ready to install 4 AGM batteries and i had some of the very same difficulties in attempting to mount them under the bus. steel truck boxes very expensive and can't hold the weight. having them built, expensive. mounting, expensive and very complicated, involves welding. welders don't return phone calls, are expensive, and so on and so forth. i never wanted to hear the word battery box again. then i took a deep breath and decided to get over it and put them in the cabin.

from what i'm reading here, sounds like i need to put them into a nice and tight rubbermaid tub that has a good sealing lid and then, just to be safe although they are AGM, i should perhaps put a hole in the top of the lid and run a vent pipe out the top.

so rubber tub, lid, vent pipe. this will all go at the bottom of my electrical cabinet that will contain everything else. charge controller (outback flexmax 60), breakers, and so on. should the battery tub be separated (boxed off with plywood) from the rest of the electrical?
you people rock!
KerryBeth1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:52 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Definitely keep your electronics away from lead-acid batteries. The inevitable fumes will corrode the bejesus out of them.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:27 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Thomas Built Mini, Microbird
Engine: 6.6 Diesel
Rated Cap: 17 pass
no lead-acid batteries here. only AGM.
KerryBeth1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:30 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: integral
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II pusher
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Technically, AGMs and sealed "gel cells" are also lead acid, just not with liquid acid like in a car or deep-cycle FLA battery. However, some folk on the BCM forum have had their AGMs overheat and/or burst, and they are saying that some AGM manufacturers are now wanting their AGMs to be vented. So, who knows?

It's not that difficult to make slide-out trays for batteries under the floor - I used sealed bearings running on 1" square tube, and my trays can easily support my weight when fully extended and me bouncing on their end. I prefer keeping everything heavy down low to help the bus's CoG, and to free up space inside for Other Stuff (and there's always plenty of that!). And for me with good ol' golfcart batteries, if one ever leaks it will just drip harmlessly onto the ground. No big deal.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote