Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2017, 10:46 AM   #1

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 24V Cummins 5.9L
Rated Cap: 48
Can I cut belts from engine to fac a/c compressors?

I have a 99 bluebird TC2000 FE that had two a/c compressors with belts to the fly wheel. I'm taking out both a/c units. I was told that I could just cut the belts off and leave the compressors in. They would be a huge pain to get out. Is there any harm in doing this? We'll be installing a roof top ac so we want these big bulky old ones out of the way. Thanks!

edstroebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:44 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstroebel View Post
I have a 99 bluebird TC2000 FE that had two a/c compressors with belts to the fly wheel. I'm taking out both a/c units. I was told that I could just cut the belts off and leave the compressors in. They would be a huge pain to get out. Is there any harm in doing this? We'll be installing a roof top ac so we want these big bulky old ones out of the way. Thanks!
It's your bus. Do what you want. As for me unless they are in the way i would leave them. IMO Just more work. I would cover the hose ends to protect the compressors. Those are most likely expensive even used.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:05 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
keep the A/C if you are planning to use this as an RV and drive it at all... at least keep one.. if you plan on a little camper A/C on the roof cooling you while driving you wont be satisfied.. you will roast in the driver seat even insulated.. FE busses make a LOT of engine heat..

I personally would take the compressors out though if you dont want them.. im not a fan of leaving unused equipment hanging around... take the time, clean things up and do it the right way and you will have much better time of servicing the engine if you ever need to as well..

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote