Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 11:21 PM   #1

Carpenter Ford B700 1993 battery issue

Hello, I'm new to the forum, but I'm looking at getting a school bus/RV conversion here in Iowa. The bus is a Carpenter Ford B700 with presumably the 5.9 Cummins engine in it. The bus is very low rust, and the engine looks VERY clean. Starter solenoid is bad though and when we showed up to look at it nobody could figure out which terminals were positive and which were negative. I think I know now how to resolve that, but I'll have to go out there again when I get time and try again.

So I have a couple questions:

First off, is this bus 12V? It seems like there's two batteries with totally separate cables but I have no idea where those cables lead so I'm only guessing.

Secondly, there seems to be no way to isolate these cables when I connect the batteries. It sparked like crazy and the leads were dirty and too loose. Might need to replace them, but I really want to get this thing started before I put down the money to get it. How can I isolate these leads before connecting the batteries?

Finally, do any of you have any advice for testing this bus before committing to purchasing it? Would it be worth buying a 90s vintage B700 with minor electrical problems even if I had to have it towed 30 miles? How much would you pay for a B700 from the early 90s with about 100K miles on it? Its already titled as an RV, if that affects what you would pay for it....

Hopefully I'm not leaving anything out. Its been an incredibly long day. Thanks in advance for any help!

Dangus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b700, batteries battery, carpenter, cummins, ford