Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2019, 01:18 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Champion 3150 inverter generator sound/noise?

Unfortunately my trusty Honda EU3000is generator failed on my last trip.

It has served me exceptionally for the last 13 years. Running stretches as long as 11 days at a time (24hours). I cannot even guess how many hours it has on it.

The closest Honda shop is 30+ miles away and wants $210 to diagnose the problem. I am going to try and fix it myself.

In the meantime, I needed a generator and I know the Honda has reached an age that has me wanting a backup.

So, after many hours of reading reviews and watching YouTube videos, I pulled the trigger on one of the Champion 3150 inverter generators with remote start/stop.

I unboxed it and set it up per the docs. It is currently running on my back deck.

After all of the good reviews that I read, I am VERY disappointed with how loud it is. Reviewers reported that it was "almost" as quiet as the Honda.

I call BS!

If I had another $1300 in the budget the Champion would be gone and I would buy another Honda.

Has anyone here had any success quieting the Champion? Any suggestions?

Thanks

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
I hear they are nearly silent when not running...
Maybe a quarter-mile long extension cord?
Sorry.
I've read about folx building a sound dampening enclosures, tho with limited success.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:12 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Steve, could you type louder please, too much background noise or is that a genny or something?

Re-engineer the muffler setup, vibration dampers on the frame or as Haz suggests.
Sounds like you got your monies worth out of the Honda. Maybe the Honda Gods will come thru...

John
Old 07-23-2019, 02:32 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Steve, could you type louder please, too much background noise or is that a genny or something?

Re-engineer the muffler setup, vibration dampers on the frame or as Haz suggests.
Sounds like you got your monies worth out of the Honda. Maybe the Honda Gods will come thru...

John
I have a 1-1/2" thick stall pad (rubber foam?) that the genny sits on. It is not doing any good. I had considered a "riser" or "snorkel" like I have seen others use.

I have also considered a quiet box. I am hoping for a simpler solution.......

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:33 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
It is no doubt too late to box it back up and return it so sell it for a few dollars less than it's new cost and save up for another Honda or Yamaha inverter generator--best advice.

About the only way you can quiet a genny is to install it in a sound proofed enclosure. There over 20 vids on utube at present and a FEW parts of good ideas to pick and choose from. The objectionable noise coming from gennys comes in two forms; low frequency high energy sound and high frequency low energy sound. High frequency sound can be damped easily with dense foam rubber but the low frequency sound requires thick dense material to absorb the energy. Lead is about as good as it gets for this but not very easy to deal with. Thick layers of bitumen and dense rubber mats (horse stall mats) are a good second best. Read up on sound transmission and dB characteristics before you do anything rash like building an enclosure. My two cents worth.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:54 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
It is no doubt too late to box it back up and return it so sell it for a few dollars less than it's new cost and save up for another Honda or Yamaha inverter generator--best advice.

About the only way you can quiet a genny is to install it in a sound proofed enclosure. There over 20 vids on utube at present and a FEW parts of good ideas to pick and choose from. The objectionable noise coming from gennys comes in two forms; low frequency high energy sound and high frequency low energy sound. High frequency sound can be damped easily with dense foam rubber but the low frequency sound requires thick dense material to absorb the energy. Lead is about as good as it gets for this but not very easy to deal with. Thick layers of bitumen and dense rubber mats (horse stall mats) are a good second best. Read up on sound transmission and dB characteristics before you do anything rash like building an enclosure. My two cents worth.
Jack
I hear you, even over the noise my new genny is making.....

On my last bus I had much "deeper pockets". I built a quiet box for my 8kw Kubota generator. I had a gent named Dave Galey help me with the design. Sharp guy!

We used a sound absorbing material that was about 2" thick and had a 1/8" layer of what looked like lead sheet. It cost more than my Champion generator to build but it was extremely quiet.

Unfortunately, things change. If I had the same budget for this build my profile would show Prevost instead of Bluebird.....

Today my options are Champion generator or no generator.

I will definitely do my due diligence before I do anything permanent.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:14 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
"a 1/8" layer of what looked like lead sheet."

That is something I saw lining walls in a dental clinic one job, for sound and xray protection in the next room.
Really did soundproof drills, screams etc.
Might be some around if you look and build another enclosure.

John
Old 07-23-2019, 06:03 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
"Screams and drills..."Click image for larger version

Name:	F4PPK0.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	35909
Not nearly so happy-making as macaroni and cheese...
Old 07-23-2019, 08:37 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
I looked into ways to quiet a generator and eventually just got a quieter generator. Those quiet boxes are spendy!