Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2016, 09:23 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Charging battery bank off 30 or 50 amp service

Hi all,

Just getting some ideas. I used the search function but couldn't find anything answering my particular question. I am going to be mostly boondocking with solar panels but I'd like the option to top off my (large) battery bank when in town with a 30 amp service if it's cloudy out. Has anyone here done that? Experiences?

Thanks

warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:15 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3126 7.2 / Allison AT545
Rated Cap: 77 Passenger
I would like this info as well.

Could a guy just use a standard battery charger?
PoolRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:28 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
That's pretty standard stuff. The 30/50 or even 15 amp provides 120V AC to power some sort of battery charger or inverter/charger. There are many on the market from very simple to large "smart" ones.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:26 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Is there a single battery charger (the one I use for my incoming solar power) I can use for dual purposes instead of purchasing two separate units or will I have to bite the bullet on that one?

I have this one in my purchase list: Morningstar TS-45 TriStar 45 Amp Charge Controller 12-28V PWM
Old 09-17-2016, 07:26 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: d466 mechanical
Pardon if I'm wrong. But, I do believe your "battery charger" is a charge controller, which job is to regulate how much charge is coming from the solar panels to the batteries.
And if it's anything like my charge controller it doesn't show the most accurate voltage of the batteries.
Depending on your budget id go for an inverter/charger that can charge your batteries from shore power, and invert your batteries power to household electric.
Also I'd recommend a trimetric battery monitor, as it's insanely accurate and super easy to read.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:50 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Your TS-45 TriStar 45 Amp Charge Controller, takes care of the power coming from your solar panels. It doesn't do anything or work with AC power coming from a pole. It also won't convert the DC from the batteries to AC to power your household appliances. Solar panels produce DC voltage.

An inverter/charger converts DC from the batteries to 120V AC, either pure sine wave or modified sine wave depending on your model. It will also charge your batteries when connected to shore power (120V AC). It does not have anything to do with your solar panels.

A battery charger will only charge the batteries when connected to shore power. It won't change to AC and it won't do anything with the power from the solar panels.

You are asking about doing three separate things.
1 Control DC from solar panels to charge batteries. (control DC)
2 Charge batteries from shore power. (convert AC to DC)
3 Change battery voltage to something your household appliance can use. (convert DC to AC)
As far as I know there isn't one device that will do all of that.

It sounds like you need to do some studying about electrical things in gerenal. Start here.
https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/

Look at some of these sites.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Dc+v...utf-8&oe=utf-8

The solar controller does the same job as the voltage regulator of the alternator on your engine (only probably better) and no, they aren't interchangeable.

Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:07 AM   #7
Bus Nut

I understand I will need an inverter as well and have on my list of purchases to be made. My question is, coming in, will I need a second inverter to convert from shore ac to dc? Will I need a second battery charger so as not to fry the batteries?

I've read every page of handy bobs webite and even corresponded with him via email. I havent seen any builds rigged in this particular manner.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:32 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: d466 mechanical
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
I understand I will need an inverter as well and have on my list of purchases to be made. My question is, coming in, will I need a second inverter to convert from shore ac to dc? Will I need a second battery charger so as not to fry the batteries?

I've read every page of handy bobs webite and even corresponded with him via email. I havent seen any builds rigged in this particular manner.
An inverter doesn't convert AC to DC. It does the opposite.
Chargers convert AC to DC. Many people use one inverter/charger with the ability to convert AC to DC, and then invert DC to AC for power inside there bus.

i think your question is about inverters and chargers separately. Yes if you only have an inverter you would need a "second" charger to do AC to DC from shore power. I would just get one with both options built in.
To simplify your solution. Get a smart inverter/charger. That will regulate, charge, and inverter power all in one. A good one can be found for about $300-$1000 depending on how large you go.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #9
Skoolie

We spent lots of money over last several months on solar that was going on the bus we just sold, so now its going out side for emergencies.

Will be interested in how to here. We studied alot. But its still new to us.

Lots of good info on youtube. We like Handybobs, and Gone With The Wynns.
International is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:52 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Thank you! This answers my question entirely.