Old 05-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Conversion planning phase

There is a biodiesel refinery up in Asheville. I don't know if the refinery is doing this in SC, but I do know for a fact that when we left Franklin NC in 2009, they were buying up ALL the waste oil from ALL the restaurants in Western NC. LEGALLY they can't buy it outright (at least in NC) but what they were doing was collecting the oil and charging the restaurants $0. Compared to what the pumper trucks were charging them, that works out to "paying" for the oil in my book. Knowing that area of NC as well as I do and knowing some of the restaurant owners like I do, they were getting cash $$ direct as well (there were hints about it). I know the Chinese buffet we ate at all the time, claimed to have a "profitable arrangement" (owners words) worked out and he could not let us or anyone else get any of his oil, even a few buckets. And this guy had two restaurants (one in Franklin & one in Murphy). I think the refinery was also getting into GA as well when we left. You have no idea how much we looked into this. We simply could not see a way for making biodiesel on the road to work out. If you have a home base that would be different. In uptight campgrounds where you have to pick up your dog's poop, can't sell anything to your neighbours and can't advertize on the side of your vehicle that you even have a business, I can't see them letting us make biodiesel. And when you consider that technically you are breaking the law when you put it in your vehicle, I would think that public campgrounds would also frown on it.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Conversion planning phase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyobnoxious
On the thoughts of layout and construction:
To start, I am fully aware of the advantages and disadvantages of a roof raise, and while I plan to stay well below the legal 13'6", I know many overpasses are under that, so I'm planning on plenty of detours!
If you use MS's Streets & Trips, Go to The POI Factory and download specific POI files or you can download the Megafile at Laptop GPS World and it has the low clearance bridges on it. NOT ALL OF THEM but most along with the most popular POIs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyobnoxious
put a the salon in the rear. My question becomes one of feasibility. I have never seen an RV with the salon in the rear. Is there a physical reason for this?
In most of the campgrounds we have been in, we have backed into/pulled thru our site with hookups on the left side (drivers). The rear is often at a back wall, woodland or a steep dropoff (you get lots of steep drop offs in Southern Appalachians... like 8 to 15 ft drop). In order to fit into many sites, we roll back until the rear tires are at the edge of the pad. this mans the rear of the bus would be hanging out in space. We used to have a hardsided Apache popup (no canvas) that we would open up and then push the popup back into the site because otherwise we couldn't fit the closed popup plus a car & small PU truck (David worked all the time) AND open the popup because it had to be pushed so far back into the site that the rear bed hung out over a steep drop. You need to run up to Table Rock State Park(nice campground... dog's water bowl froze over at the end of April... she was PO'ed... other than the cold snap, nice campground... have a picnic... walk thru the campground). It is a good example of a public park in the mountains. It will be cool in the summer. OR go visit Coneross Corps of Engineers (COE) campground outside of Clemson, Townville & Pendleton. nice "flat" campground, Don't eat the fish in Lake Hartwell (above the dam is okay in Lake Keowee & Jocassee but I wouldn't eat the fish in Hartwell.... PCB spill thanks to Duke Power). Based on some of your questions, I think you need to go picnicking and check out the adjacent campgrounds. Look at the campgrounds with an eye towards parking your bus in there. There are several campgrounds in your area. The ones I know are public campgrounds around the Lakes (Twin Lakes & Oconee Point, both COE and we liked High Falls County near Salem/Keowee Key) and then Chau Ram (used to be a state park, now a county park) north of Westminster on 76

For a REALLY NICE public campground try Unicoi SP in Helen GA.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote