Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Engine: Detroit 6-71
Crown bus horn

Hi guys, so I attached a small horn our new crown bus underneath the bus directly underneath the driver seat there were 2 wires there handing (underneath the bus outside) when I plug them the Horn just starts honking non stop even when I go to the wheel and push on the horn pad. I am thinking its either a bad fuse or relay except I have no clue where these might be. There's a panel right below the radio it has a few fuses (breakers) that are used for the air alarm, emergency door alarm, but I don't know if any of those is for the horn. The bus had an air horn but it was taken off, so under the bus there's a line for connecting the air horn to it, it works by pushing a button on the floor with your foot to activate. I need to get this bus inspected for safety would an air horn suffice as a horn, or does it have to be electric? I was told by some people air horns may not be allowed as they are so loud and they prefer electric for the cities, but this was just a thought idk if its a fact.
I would much rather just attach an air horn and be done with it rather than be searching and trying to fix the electric horn and finding the right wires or if anything is wrong with them.

Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:55 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Engine: Detroit 6-71
So I ended up getting a 3 pin relay. It worked.
Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:58 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I've never heard any laws concerning air horns. Most trucks have them and they aren't restricted due to horn use.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:25 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
My Crown has a valve on the floor for the airhorn. Anyone else find it kind of awkward trying to find it in a hurry with your foot? I'm thinking of mounting a piece of sheetmetal with a 90deg bend next to it & resting my foot next to it so I know just to lift my foot & move it to the other side of the plate if I ned to use the airhorn.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote