Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #21

Engine: 5.9 Cummins
This has all been super helpful information and I've been hard at work the past 2 weeks on the bus so haven't had time to check in.

My solar plans have now changed to the following:
Monocrystalline flexible panels that are around 120 dollars each for a 100w panel (I'll add more as time goes on, but for now 4 will have to work, I just need to charge my phone and laptop, everything else can be added with time)
I need to find a larger inverter, from what I understand 3000w should be close to what I need.
I sold one of the mini fridges and the other one is a super power saving, energy efficient blah blah blah model so I should be fine with that til I upgrade to a full size.

I did check out those links in my previous post that someone mentioned and I spent a few hours on the interactive website taking notes.
Currently I'm trying to balance budget and usability over longevity. My concerns rn are to get a working setup, not necessarily one that will last a long time as I plan to upgrade and add as I go.

As for the basic concepts of electricity, I understand these well. I've done high and low voltage electrical work for over 8 years, I was more looking for input on the components. I am aware that my potential draw and peak power is more than the inverter I linked can handle, but budget constraints would hold me to that inverter til I could upgrade in the future, however the YouTube video that was linked piqued my interest in the cheaper brand that has higher output. I may get those. I appreciate all the input and will have an update soon hopefully!

ThatMint240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:19 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
After checking out the potential issues with semi flexible panels I decided to stick with proven framed panels. I may have a couple moveable semi flexible on the ground to place out in the sun while I park in the shade.
I don’t remember seeing a charging source other than solar on your list. As someone mentioned previously one can not have too much solar. It’s always not enough.
If you do charge with a generator consider a power factor corrected charger.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
You need to know where you're going before you plan for how to get there.

If you haven't done a complete load analysis, you can't have any idea of what you'll need in the end. Which means anything you do to get a 'temporary' system up & running is likely to be money down the drain. For someone on a budget (and aren't we all?), I don't feel that's the best way to stretch one's dollar.

Based on what you have said regarding your anticipated power needs, you'd be much better off with a 24V system. I'd start with that from the get-go. Do the wire gauge / voltage drop calculations on 12V @ 6000W (which would likely be around the peak surge voltage a 3000W inverter would provide). Most pros will tell you 12V systems should be limited to ~1000W. Doing the math quickly shows you why.

I alluded to it before, but I won't beat around the bush this time... a generator isn't just a nice thing to have with a solar system. It's a necessity. If I were you, honestly - I'd start with that FIRST. A nice small quiet unit that can be paralleled with a twin. It will power everything you need right now, sip fuel, and most important - will be just as useful no matter what system you come up with. The same can't be said for a 12V inverter (useless when you upgrade to 24), your panels (which would have to ran in series w/ a 24V system, which is not ideal from a shading perspective), or your battery bank (likely not going to transition well, if at all).

Finally, I wouldn't even consider lithium batteries when you're financially constrained, especially when they may not even have a place in your evolving system.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote