Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2018, 12:44 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: Dt444e
Rated Cap: 72
Diy apu ?

I am searching for a good way to add both a generator and road air conditioning to my bus. I have a Kubota 2203 4cyl diesel I am thinking about buying a 10kw generator head for it. I would also mount an air conditioner compressor to it as well to run the AC while traveling. My bus is a rear engine so I'm thinking this may be an easier way than going with a bus engine driven unit. Am I over complicating? Would it be better to just use gen-set to run window units or mini split for road air?

W Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:55 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
It'd most likely be easier to run the mini-split or window units off of the generator. That way when you can connect to shore power you could still run the ac without running the generator. It also simplifies it by not having to do the math on compressor and condenser sizing.

You can buy 10kw belt driven gen heads for less then a grand.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...duct_8795_8795

I'd suggest the belt version for simplicity. You can find and mount pulleys easy enough. It also enable you to run the engine at less rpm which would reduce noise and heat production.

The other option would be mounting it directly to the flywheel. But that would require a bellhousing of some sort(might be non existent) and that has to be aligned almost perfectly, so anything custom would have to be fairly precise. This would also have to be ran at 3600 rpm, unless you have a 1800 rpm head and those aren't cheap.

I'm doing something similar. I bought a pair of apu's for scrap. One was a carrier unit that had just an alternator and ac compressor mounted. The other came with a 4kw gen head along with the alternator and compressor. I bypasssed the compressor on the second one with an idler pulley and am currently in the process of mounting it under the bus as an onboard genny.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote