Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2016, 12:19 PM   #1

Does a roof top AC work while driving?

I have a roof top ac on my bus. need to know if it will work while I drive 50mph down the interstate ? My girlfriend don't wanna ride with no ac, plus we have 3 dogs and a cat that need to stay cool.

Thanks for any info
Matt

I will ad pics of my bus tonight. I don't have time to figure out how to post them now

Dogdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:54 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Matt, that's a frequent topic of discussion here. If your rooftop AC runs when you're connected to shore power, you should be able to make it work while you're driving in several ways.

Simple and easy is connect a generator. Self explanatory.
Second is, if you have a high output alternator you may be able to use that power for your AC by using an inverter to change the dc to ac. Additionally you can have a house battery bank that charges from the alternator while powering the AC through an inverter.

The third way seems to be the super long extension cord.

For posting pics, upload them to photobucket first then transfer them to this site. Some other sites work too if you've got the time to experiment.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:59 PM   #3

Say I have the genset and I have power to my roof top ac. I just want to know if the ac works at speed 50mph . I know they work parked just don't know if they work while going down the interstate .

Thanks a bunch for the quick reply!
Dogdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:07 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I should. It was designed specifically for that.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 03:25 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
yes indeed they will work... Many commercially built RV;s haveno other air conditioning than the rooftop units, so its standard for people to run their generator and A/C while driving.

in my opinion if you are going to use your bus on Genset or shore power most of the time I would not bother with installing any kind of engine-driven air conditioning... an engine driven A/C is a bit more efficient on the road if you are going to spend many many hours and miles actually driving as opposed to lots of time parked..

run the A/C and be comfy! in a school bus your driver compartment will get warm, so remember to turn your heater valves off under the hood and on the floor as this will help your A/C be more efficient and not use a lot of generator gas...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:08 PM   #6
Almost There

Year: 95
Coachwork: Amtran ss-33
Chassis: Int 3800
Engine: dt444E
Rated Cap: 29,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdick View Post
Say I have the genset and I have power to my roof top ac. I just want to know if the ac works at speed 50mph . I know they work parked just don't know if they work while going down the interstate .

Thanks a bunch for the quick reply!
the extra forced air and lack of rooftop heat will really cool the freon gas in the ac. add a pressure mister inside the a/c canopy for super cool air charge. might freeze your mipples off.

if your not a man our doing it all wrong-kp
tincaneasybakeoven is offline   Reply With Quote