Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2019, 08:34 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Does My Bus Need 2 Batteries?

I am seriously running out of under floor space. I’m struggling to find a place for the water heater. I was originally going to extend the battery compartment in the side of the bus to also contain the house batteries. I like this solution and really don’t want to change my, um “plan”, but I might need that spot for the water heater.

So the question: do I need 2 batteries for a Chevy Express? My own answer to this is no if not including the wheelchair lift. Maybe I’ll relocate the second battery, maybe make a box underneath with a floor hatch.

Thoughts please.

Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:40 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas / international
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt 360/ spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 42
InBox under with floor hatch, yes. Though you could.probly get away with one battery, the reason for two is to make sure that you have enough power to operate under all conditions. Diesel engines take a tremendous amount of power to, not only turn over, but also to run the glow plugs/heater grid. You could likely go to one but would risk not being able to start yr diesel on a really cold morning. If it's a gas engine, its likelly to not be as crucial..though I would be reluctant to stray away from the factory setup.my2¢
SolomonEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:33 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
My truck has a 5.9 Cummins with two group 27 batteries. I am sure that on a nice summer day it will start easily with one battery. Yesterday when I started the truck it was 29F outside and I DEFINITELY needed two batteries.

My bus has 3 group 31's. One of them failed a couple of weeks ago. Now I have two and it struggles. With the weather turning cold I need three batteries. Now to decide if I am going to replace the bad one or all three.....
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:46 PM   #4
Skoolie

Chassis: Tc2000
Engine: 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 27
My bus had two batteries, but to make room in the battery box I eliminated one of them.

My bus still starts as low as mid teens.

However I do have a DC/DC converter from the 12V system to the 24V system that I can run "backwards" and recharge my 12V battery if it runs low or dies.
Jsneeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:00 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Relocate it under the bus on the frame rail. I've seen short buses have them on the passenger side frame rail by the van builder when underhood space was sparse. Use a simple side loading battery box like this. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-430023

And then you won't have to cut a hole in the floor.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:01 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsneeb View Post
My bus had two batteries, but to make room in the battery box I eliminated one of them.

My bus still starts as low as mid teens.

However I do have a DC/DC converter from the 12V system to the 24V system that I can run "backwards" and recharge my 12V battery if it runs low or dies.
that sounds slick.

What DC-DC converter are you using?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:44 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Even if it starts with only 1 battery, especially in the cold your starter could wind up dying early from doing that. Low power cranking is very hard on a starter, I've trashed a few because I'm a cheapskate and don't buy batteries until they are completely useless.
Your better off keeping it with dual batteries, at some point you might wind up stranded over it at the least of matters.... Just build a battery rack under it is the route I'd advise.
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:41 PM   #8
Almost There

Voltage drop could also cause the wires to heat faster.
Iqinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote