Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2017, 11:06 AM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 66
From the manual

So reading the manual...I know, I know what am I thinking, I found this page about Neutral/Ground connections. Based on my updated drawing below and from this page in the manual do I need to ground the neutral at the circuit breaker box?

I'm sorry I'm being thick, I just don't want to fry anything from this very expensive system.

Thanks,
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Electrical Layout-Method 3.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ground-Neatrul bond.pdf (124.8 KB, 12 views)

Old 04-13-2017, 11:46 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
That's a nice write-up Magnum provided in that manual page. It captures the ground-neutral bond situation well.

A ground-neutral bond won't be needed in the breaker panel. Magnum says that their automatic bond switch will provide the bond when their inverter provides power and it'll remove the bond when external AC is connected. It's then your responsibility when running from a generator to ensure that the generator provides ground-neutral bond. Most generators don't; it has to be added in the field by the installer/user.

Mike Sokol passed along the great idea of making a pluggable bond by connecting ground and neutral inside a male cord end "Edison" NEMA 5-15P to be plugged into a spare socket on a portable generator rather than hardware modifying the generator.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:17 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

That would be easy enough to do in the plug. Great idea, missed that.

Thanks!

Nick
Old 04-13-2017, 03:41 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Just to clarify even though it's probably already clear, the bond jumper would go in a separate plug, not in the shore power cord.

Here's some source material for the bond jumper plug:
Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding | No~Shock~Zone
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:06 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC 2000 bluebird
Engine: 5.9 cummins
I just installed the Magnum MS4024 inverter and 8 T1275 Trojan 12v batteries in pull out drawers in my buses only cargo compartment. I Am currently wiring the battery bank up for 24vdc. It should supply about 1200ah. But weighs in over 800lbs with the drawers. I went with 24vdc as my primary voltage as wire sizes are smaller and I can use the diesel furnaces and hot water heater I have left over from several army truck projects. I'll let you know how It works out.

Bill
miltruckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:04 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltruckman View Post
I just installed the Magnum MS4024 inverter and 8 T1275 Trojan 12v batteries in pull out drawers in my buses only cargo compartment. I Am currently wiring the battery bank up for 24vdc. It should supply about 1200ah. But weighs in over 800lbs with the drawers. I went with 24vdc as my primary voltage as wire sizes are smaller and I can use the diesel furnaces and hot water heater I have left over from several army truck projects. I'll let you know how It works out.

Bill
Would love to see your final project!
Old 04-14-2017, 07:11 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Looks like you are in Ohio, I'm in Michigan. If you are ever driving north of Flint on I75, stop in. I'm less than a mile off I75.
Birch Run, MI.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:33 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltruckman View Post
Looks like you are in Ohio, I'm in Michigan. If you are ever driving north of Flint on I75, stop in. I'm less than a mile off I75.
Birch Run, MI.
Holy Moly you are up there! We did talk about going over to the Holland festival, but no other trips planned up that way in our future.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:01 AM   #29
Bus Nut

There is also Frankenmuth, MI here. A popular tourist destination. And of course, the giant outlet mall here in Birch Run. For those who like outlet malls.

We are doung our maiden voyage with the bus to Frankenmuth here in a few weeks. (Its only about 12 miles away) I am working on it every spare minute to get it ready in time. It wont be done, but should be ready enough.

Bill
Old 04-15-2017, 01:34 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMerck View Post
That is some GREAT information! Finally! Thank you!

Updated. Can you give it a look again?

Thanks,

Nick Zircher
That article was great! I'm glad you posted your concerns. It's a great learning tool [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2017, 08:07 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
That's a nice write-up Magnum provided in that manual page. It captures the ground-neutral bond situation well.

A ground-neutral bond won't be needed in the breaker panel. Magnum says that their automatic bond switch will provide the bond when their inverter provides power and it'll remove the bond when external AC is connected. It's then your responsibility when running from a generator to ensure that the generator provides ground-neutral bond. Most generators don't; it has to be added in the field by the installer/user.

Mike Sokol passed along the great idea of making a pluggable bond by connecting ground and neutral inside a male cord end "Edison" NEMA 5-15P to be plugged into a spare socket on a portable generator rather than hardware modifying the generator.
This info should be in a sticky.

I have seen incorrect ground/neutral bonding in many of the conversions that I have looked at and seen the question come up here many times.

I nominate Family Wagon to write it for us
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote